The Zune: A review.
Dec 9, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #106 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
especially since it uses the same battery as the ipod.

If you're not going to back up your sources, I see no point in you posting.

Dec 9, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #108 of 294
Quote:

http://www.ipodmods.com/shop/zune-repair-guides.html

I simply do not see how it would be possible for both the Zune and the iPod to get the same approximate number of hours with the same battery. The screen on the Zune is gigantic in comparison.

What that site is saying is that it's the same TYPE of battery. The mAh seems to be quite different.

Dec 9, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #110 of 294
Quote:

the 60/80GB ipods get 20 hours audio and 6 hours video with the same battery as the zune. the 60/80GB ipods do not use the smaller battery of the 30GB. they have a picture of the zune battery next to their 60/80GB ipod replacement here
http://www.ipodmods.com/shop/1603-ip...60gb-80gb.html

they do not say it is the same type of battery, they say it is the same battery.

Uh huh. Ok. So why does the text say:
Quote:

THIS BATTERY WILL WORK FOR: 1ST GENERATION 60GB IPOD VIDEO, & 2ND GENERATION 80GB IPOD VIDEO ONLY.

And then there's the picture on that page.
xbatcompare.jpg

Note the caption: Quote:

Similarities between the Zune battery and iPod Video Battery

If you're referring to this:
videoxbatdescript.jpg

Then that's another story. That photo actually says "iPod Video." But that's on a different page. Only seems to offer an hour more of battery life and 30 min more of video though...

Dec 10, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #111 of 294
I think I am now entrigued enough to give the Zune a shot. Unfortunately it seems like it won't hit Canada before Christmas. Perhaps I will have to go on a roadtrip to Seattle or Portland.

Still can't decide between the black and brown colours...the brown is kinda funky and unique.

Dec 10, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #112 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I am now entrigued enough to give the Zune a shot. Unfortunately it seems like it won't hit Canada before Christmas. Perhaps I will have to go on a roadtrip to Seattle or Portland.

Still can't decide between the black and brown colours...the brown is kinda funky and unique.

Personally I really like the brown, but I got black for the long term. I thought I would get sick of the color after a while.
And of course, visit Portland(careful though, </3 snow). When I used to live in Vancouver, I used to go there all the time to shop electronics that weren't available in Canada. Also gotta love the no tax
cool.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #113 of 294
Great review! First thing that I've seen which makes the Zune appealing.

Two questions. First, linux support is still missing in action right? Second, you mention that you can access it like a hard drive, can you just do that instead of syncing? I've gotten too used to being able to use DAPs as HDs to step back into rigid software.

Dec 10, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #114 of 294
after finally being able to play with it in real life, i must say i really like it. easy to use overall (still think ZVM is easier), but much more fun to use. i really would like to download the software, but it apparently can't detect my OS, so i guess i'll see.

Dec 10, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #115 of 294
I poked at one with a big stick at the local best buy. I like the layout of the menus and the interface, the D-pad instead of wheel is actually nice to me. I didn't get a chance to listen however...since its bestbuy...:p

I may get one if/when they launch a 80gb.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #116 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I poked at one with a big stick at the local best buy. I like the layout of the menus and the interface, the D-pad instead of wheel is actually nice to me. I didn't get a chance to listen however...since its bestbuy...:p

I may get one if/when they launch a 80gb.

What I found about the D-Pad is that it's much easier to adjust the volume while it's in your pocket. I can feel the groove of the "wheel" through my pocket, and I can turn it up or down from the outside.

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #117 of 294
i am still loving mine but i have found a few minor annoyances
1. The inability to change volume while navigating menus
2. Lack of supported audio and video codecs (.ogg and .avi would be nice)

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #118 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am still loving mine but i have found a few minor annoyances
1. The inability to change volume while navigating menus
2. Lack of supported audio and video codecs (.ogg and .avi would be nice)

Yeah, that volume thing bugs me too. Bugged me on the iPod as well. Having universal navigation buttons that simplify overall design and serve multiple functions are nice... but devoted volume controls seem like they'd be really useful.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #119 of 294
have u guys checked out amazon's "vote on deals" thing? apparently you can get a new zune 30gb for $90 if you are drawn. probably little to no chance in getting it, but still worth a shot if you shop at amazon.

just a heads up for some of you interested

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #120 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I found about the D-Pad is that it's much easier to adjust the volume while it's in your pocket. I can feel the groove of the "wheel" through my pocket, and I can turn it up or down from the outside.

Before my 4G iPod was stolen, I would use it in my pocket much like your description. It would be easy to change tracks but very difficult to change volume.

Thanks for your post describing another reason why I should buy a Zune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back