The Zishan dsd's corner
Jun 25, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #3,496 of 3,711
Very strange, I also have these problems, but I have them on all the cards that I have used.
Moreover, if I insert it into another player, then there will be no such interruptions.

Perhaps, if I take another card, transfer data to it from the PC (not from the old "problem card"), then it is possible that something will change.

It is also interesting that if the file is not played, and you rewind it a little bit, it will start playing, but the next track will not be played either.
I cannot shake the impression that once a folder of FLAC files refuse to play in sequence then the exact path to these files is critical. I say this because overwriting these FLAC files in situ does not cure this problem. Perhaps the Zishan’s cache won’t forgive and forget?

My recipe is this: rename the top level folder and use Roadkill’s Unstoppable Copier to copy the contents of the original top level folder to the newly created top level folder: e.g. PinkFloyd -> PinkFloyd-fixed (this utility also does integrity checking).

Unfortunately any FLAC files with sync problems will probably have to be regenerated from source; although I see there’s a utility called FLAC file recovery, but since I had very few corrupt FLAC files and their source readily available, I didn’t try using it. But if you’re desperate...?

Finally, I deleted the original top level folders, and since I had renamed the new top level folders to sort to the same alphabetic position (e.g. LedZeppelin -> LedZeppelin-fixed) I could use FAT Sorter to position them where the original folders had been.

Gosh, what a palaver, considering no other player I own has this play sequence problem!

I did notice that VLC Media Player also exhibits the same issues. So it’s a good test of the ’sequential viability’ of the copied FLAC files.

If this wasn’t such an outstandingly good sounding player at a beer budget price I think I’d have thrown it into the corner together with handfuls of the hair I’d torn out!!! 😤

I hope you succeed in sorting (no pun intended) your issues.

Do let me know if you stumble across any other observations about this problem.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #3,497 of 3,711
All these crashes/skipping/hanging/metadata/number of files issues on the ak4497 versions is a firmware problem. I just got the dual ES9038Q2M version with firmware 0.5d, and it has none of those constant issues.
Loads a 256GB card almost instantly, too, a good minute or two "caching" for the ak4497 (on fw 0.4i)

Seems to sound more transparent to me, less warm than AK, but has a much lower output (unbalanced at least), than my AK4497. I think noise floor is lower. Used to love the AK sound but the drawbacks are just too many. Also have dual ak4497 plagued with the same issues, on top of eating battery too fast and getting too warm. Finally happy, will use balanced if I need more power and call it a day.

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #3,498 of 3,711
It is also interesting that if the file is not played, and you rewind it a little bit, it will start playing, but the next track will not be played either.

That was my problem too with a new Zishan DSD 9038. No matter what I did with the SD card. I reformated the card on Linux and Windows systems, and used only one folder with a few songs (wave and flac), and no tags inside the file. I used different SD cards too. I had send it back to the seller and I ordered a new one. The new one works better, only occasionally and random a song ends and a new one doesn't start. The same SD card in an other DAP works with no problems. I guess there is something broken in the 0.5 firmware for the DSD ES version.

Too bad Zishan is such a obscure brand, there is no official webpage with firmware support, and change logs, at least not I am aware of.

Jul 5, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #3,501 of 3,711
I got the same promblem for my Zishan 9038,

one_play/one_not_play/one_play/one_not_play

All I did was just sent my complain to Nicehck and they sent me a "sabb.bin" to install, and all my problem is gone now.
What firmware version do you have with the new sabb.bin? I have received firmware version 0.5d from NiceHKC and that didn't solve my problem, so I had to send the DSD back.

And could you please post the sapp.bin file in this topic? Might be helpfull for others.

Jul 5, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #3,503 of 3,711
Here is the sabb.bin from NiceHCK that I got. I'm not sure about the version because people from NiceHCK said they don't know neither. Anyway, it's worked for my Zishan DSDs 9038 version.
Have you changed something after the firmware? Is the firmware number in the settings the same?

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #3,504 of 3,711
Have you changed something after the firmware? Is the firmware number in the settings the same?

I don't know. I haven't checked the firmware number before or after. I just did what they suggested me to do -- " Put sapp.bin into the TF card, insert it, and turn it on", and that's it. It's worked for me.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #3,506 of 3,711
Here is the sabb.bin from NiceHCK that I got. I'm not sure about the version because people from NiceHCK said they don't know neither. Anyway, it's worked for my Zishan DSDs 9038 version.
Updated my DSDs with the attached file, shows 0.5d, working on AK4499 and D4497 GAD, I suggest calling it "0.5d-2" due to difference of other bin posted here with the same 0.5d version

Attachments

• photo_2021-07-06_05-00-52.jpg
    photo_2021-07-06_05-00-52.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2021-07-06_04-59-26.jpg
    photo_2021-07-06_04-59-26.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 0
Jul 6, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #3,507 of 3,711
Jul 6, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #3,509 of 3,711
Updated my DSDs with the attached file, shows 0.5d, working on AK4499 and D4497 GAD, I suggest calling it "0.5d-2" due to difference of other bin posted here with the same 0.5d version
Okay, great, thanks. The version 0.5d I've got from Zishan (and posted on this forum) didn't solve my problem. And DSD users with non ES DAC's reported there was no sound at all.

So indeed it is a 0.5d-2 version

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #3,510 of 3,711
Yeeeeeeee! finally everything was fixed and reproduced normally after flashing firmware above! :) suuuuuuupeeeeeeer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back