The Zishan dsd's corner
Jun 4, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #3,467 of 3,711
@SnooDucksAudio
Sorry for these questions, but better sure than sorry.
Do you have a multimeter? If not, do you want one?
You know that electrolytic capacitors have polarity and how to connect them.
You know that you need to identify the correct + and - polarity in the zishan PCB ceramic capacitors you marked in red, you need to connect each eletrolitic capacitor leg with the correct polarity.

Please realize that all the opamps and the buffers power supply pins are connected to the same power lines. Meaning that their power supply pins are all electrical connected to each other.
So the factory stock voltage of +7V is the same for all of them, the -7V is the same for all of them and the virtual ground is the same for all.

Knowing the same stock +-7V goes to all of them, means you can safety use any capacitor rated at 10V or more for any/all of their power supply.
In the remote case you want to increase the opamps voltage and because you say you have physical space, I would just select and use 16V capacitors.

Instead of all those _local_ power reserve capacitors, why not just start by adding 2 bigger caps to increase the power reserve for all the opamps.
For example, add two 16V, 470uF each (or more capacity) connected at the default power reserve caps, those 2 lines of ceramic caps that are bellow the elnas in the PCB.
You need to connect them with the correct polarity. Use low ESR caps.

Also if you want to experiment with the capacitors in the audio path, you can try to replace those ELNAs in the PCB for the silmic II you have, use same capacity. Some people even remove those, but that's another subject.

For inspiration, take a look at these changes @maxifuny did to his player:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-zishan-dsds-corner.826185/page-186#post-15682101

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #3,468 of 3,711
My addition caps is followed as @maxifuny sugest.
And i was push to the limit.
3x 220uF 16V to main power line.
4x 100uF 10V to LPF.
2x 22uF 50V to power conversion module.
2x 22uF 50V to discrette section supply (testing)
1x 470uF + 2x 100uF + 1x 220uF 16V For main opamp.
Removed blocking caps as @slavalun said long time ago.
Replaced resistors form 100Ohm to 3Ohm in 3,5 PO thanks to maxifunny.
Main opamp to Burson V5i as best possible for this space. According AK4497 evaluation board and recommended by Burson LPF is replaced to opa1612.
I will replace power delivery chip according to maxifunny recommendation and will roll some caps because still have some space :wink:

If You run @SnooDucksAudio player with bad polarity replaced caps, they will burn for sure.

@update 06/06/2021
How to make delightfull Capacitor Sandwich
IMG_20210605_232742_tigr-01.jpeg
- On the left below white Axicom there is still space for ceramic caps in main power rail.
- next to AK4497 there is space for 2 47uF (maybe 100uF) 16V
- all big ceramic caps can be still duplicate due to placement of electrolytic.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #3,469 of 3,711
@SnooDucksAudio im agree with @Merlin-PT the intention of this type of device is for learning/research/modding allowing to the user build their low budget but unique device and share (if you like to do it) those mods.

however if you are a beginner attempting to do this or any mods I recommend you to read here there are a lot of mods such as stated by @DBaldock9 @Ivan TT @slavalun @maxifuny @Setmagic and more also you can find mods in other forums such as player.ru or diyaudio.com

from my point of view you could try to replicate the following mods:

Ivan-TT LDO suggestion
Ivan-TT DBaldock9 X-Tal change
Maxifuny’s power and audio improvements
londere voltage uprise suggest

also you could check the AK4499 datasheet page 106 reference application. Also I will post some pics of GAD AK4497, Hiby R5 and my current setup on Zishan AK4499.

PD. Sorry if i forgot to mention or forgot to mention a mod.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #3,470 of 3,711
@SnooDucksAudio
Also when you look at any of the the ak4499 datasheet circuit schematic with opamps, you can see they use 10uF in parallel with 0.1uF in each one of the opamps power supply lines.
So you can also solder one 0.1uF=100nF ceramic cap ontop of each one of those 10uF ceramic caps that you identified in red as the 10uF opamps local power reserve.
(Instead soldering them ontop, a better place is to solder them bellow or sideway the 10uF, so they are even closer to the opamp legs)

Read about them here in the last paragraph -Bypass capacitors:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-zishan-z1-dsd-player-thread.844417/page-86#post-15061941

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #3,471 of 3,711
Hey guys, something different.The DSD plays files in the order they are copied to the memory card. With Windows copy-paste the order gets wrong. I used to copy all my files to the memory card together in one move, and on the memory card I put them by hand in the right order, by moving them to a new folder. This is time consuming. And I have 4 Zishan's with 3 memory cards, so keeping 3 cards with my prefered collection is a lot of work.

For backups I use the program DirSync, and I just found out if you use this program to fill the memory card, the right order is still preserved. So you can fill a whole memory card with your catalog in one action. The tracks must have a number otherwise this won't work.

https://www.dirsyncpro.org/

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #3,472 of 3,711
I switched from Windows 7 back to using Linux, so I don't know if these work in Windows 10 - but if your music files are already on the SDCard, you can also try:
1.) CopyInOrder.exe
2.) DriveSort.exe

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #3,477 of 3,711
Jun 14, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #3,479 of 3,711
[TL;DR] In this video we can see what capacitors do to power supply noise.

Don't know if this interests anyone, but wanted to share this EEVblog video, it's a whole different perception when you can _see_ what power reserve and bypass caps do to a 5V power supply stability and noise.

When we add power reserve capacitors (for example: 100uF - 300uF or more) we can see it flattens/stabilizes the power supply.
When we add bypass capacitors (e.g.: 0.1uF=100nF) we can see it removing the high freq. noise.
We can also see what happens depending the place we solder the caps, far or near the component power supply leg. The caps are in parallel with the 5V and GND.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #3,480 of 3,711
I have the AK4497EQ version of the Zishan DSD pro. It is indisputably the best value for money player I have ever heard.

However, I did run into a problem which may be an sd card issue (checkdsk gives it a clean bill of health) or the player.

I have a 128 Gb card with about 100 Gb of folders full of FLAC files.

I sorted these with FatSort, but now I find something like 4 Gb of FLAC files, sorted in folders recursively first, refuse to track in alphabetic sequence, and sometimes jump to folders elsewhere in the 4 Gb ‘problem zone’.

Looking at the problem files with Ex Falso reveals no obvious reason (as compared with files that do play in sequence).

I’ve even tried capturing all the files to an external drive, reformatting the sd card and copying the data back. Exactly the same problem persists after this exercise. Mystifying.

I can see that I shall have to rebuild the 4 Gb’s worth again from CD. Horrifying.

Still: ars longa vita brevis...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back