The Zishan dsd's corner
Mar 5, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #3,347 of 3,711
Picked up one the last Dsds 4499 Pro from AE. Looks like they're OOS now due to AKM factory fire.

Using 0.5c firmware from get-go, doesn't sound bright at all to me, including with my planars. Sounds on point!

Snapped up a mini fan/powerbank unit to combat short battery life and overheating in Turbo mode.

Sounds really, really good to me with no mods. Dsd and 24bit content sounds amazing; most of my stuff is cd rip flac which sounds very good too, but hi-res is just unbelievable on this player.

Attachments

• 20210305_112157.jpg
    20210305_112157.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210305_112011.jpg
    20210305_112011.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210305_112125.jpg
    20210305_112125.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Mar 5, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #3,348 of 3,711
Picked up one the last Dsds 4499 Pro from AE. Looks like they're OOS now due to AKM factory fire.

Using 0.5c firmware from get-go, doesn't sound bright at all to me, including with my planars. Sounds on point!

Snapped up a mini fan/powerbank unit to combat short battery life and overheating in Turbo mode.

Sounds really, really good to me with no mods. Dsd and 24bit content sounds amazing; most of my stuff is cd rip flac which sounds very good too, but hi-res is just unbelievable on this player.
The m565c and dsd is an awesome combination, I personally keep it paired with my old ak4495 dsd (the knob version) but can imagine it to be great with the dsds versions too.
Great headphones, they don't get talked about much, I got pretty angry with that z reviews guy, I've followed a few of his recs and ended up pretty disappointed, and his reviews pretty much convinced me not to buy these.
Glad I decided not to listen to him, the m565c are really good, I switched the pads for some thicker pads and sold my srh840's and I am happy as hell with these, much better then m40x, m50x, srh840, dt770pro or pretty much any other closed backs I have heard at this price

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #3,349 of 3,711
Hello, I have Walnut F2 and would like to know what are the differences between Zishan Z2 and F2. I am looking to have a backup for my F2 but due to unavailability of AliExpress I can't get them as opposed to Z2. Folks who have both your impressions are appreciated. TIA.

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #3,350 of 3,711
Hello, I have Walnut F2 and would like to know what are the differences between Zishan Z2 and F2. I am looking to have a backup for my F2 but due to unavailability of AliExpress I can't get them as opposed to Z2. Folks who have both your impressions are appreciated. TIA.
Well, do you plan to mod?
There are a lot of mods for the z2 but not so many on th f2, I haven't heard the F2 but I have a few walnuts and zishan, but considering the F2 is hard to get I would grab the z2 if it interests me, they are all worth there money, but the z2 gets even better after mods.

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #3,351 of 3,711
The m565c and dsd is an awesome combination, I personally keep it paired with my old ak4495 dsd (the knob version) but can imagine it to be great with the dsds versions too.
Great headphones, they don't get talked about much, I got pretty angry with that z reviews guy, I've followed a few of his recs and ended up pretty disappointed, and his reviews pretty much convinced me not to buy these.
Glad I decided not to listen to him, the m565c are really good, I switched the pads for some thicker pads and sold my srh840's and I am happy as hell with these, much better then m40x, m50x, srh840, dt770pro or pretty much any other closed backs I have heard at this price
I really like mine as well. Very unique to be a portable closed-back planar.

I moded M565c per @CopperFox mod: took out foam pads from inside the cups and put thicker earpads on (the earpads from Monolith M570, in my case). But didn't like it with those earpads on- while treble extension improved drammatically, there was a huge loss of bass, likely due to poor air seal as those pads are massive. So, I put stock pads back on and with no foam pads inside the cups - it sounds great to me- excellent extension both ways.

Good synergy with DSDs, for sure: serious detail-retrieval, swift transients and decay.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #3,352 of 3,711
Depends on what you want out of it.

The F2 is a bit more flexible as a DAC and a headphone amp, as well as being a player. But beware, the F2 will only play mp3 and wav.

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #3,353 of 3,711
Well, do you plan to mod?
There are a lot of mods for the z2 but not so many on th f2, I haven't heard the F2 but I have a few walnuts and zishan, but considering the F2 is hard to get I would grab the z2 if it interests me, they are all worth there money, but the z2 gets even better after mods.
No. I don't intend to mod as I have butter fingers and am pathetic with soldering.
Depends on what you want out of it.

The F2 is a bit more flexible as a DAC and a headphone amp, as well as being a player. But beware, the F2 will only play mp3 and wav.
Well I do plan to use them as DAC and Amp not much as a music player. So how does Z2 stack up in that regard?

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #3,354 of 3,711
I really like mine as well. Very unique to be a portable closed-back planar.

I moded M565c per @CopperFox mod: took out felt pads and put thicker pads on (the pads from Monolith M570, in my case). But didn't like it with those pads on- while treble extension improved drammatically, there was a huge loss of bass, likely due to poor air seal as those pads are massive. So, I put stock pads back on and with no felt pads - it sounds great to me- excellent extension both ways.

Good synergy with DSDs, for sure: serious detail-retrieval, swift transients and decay.
You mean the felt from the inside of the cups right?
Was thinking about trying that, thanks for the idea

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #3,355 of 3,711
You mean the felt from the inside of the cups right?
Was thinking about trying that, thanks for the idea
Sorry, my post was confusing. Re-edited.

As per these instructions, unscrew the cups- there are two foam and two felt pads inside. Remove two foam pads, the ones farthest from the driver.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #3,356 of 3,711
Well I do plan to use them as DAC and Amp not much as a music player. So how does Z2 stack up in that regard?
The Z2 can be used as a DAC,but not an amp.

Mar 5, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #3,358 of 3,711
PXL_20210305_181121121~2.jpg
I made this!
DSDs + Topping NX3s with Burson V6 Classic. With some modifications I will instal this opa on DSDs internal dip8 :)

The only way you will be able to reassemble the DSD, is if you can bend those wires, so that they're not taller than the DIP-8 op-amp, when seated on the socket.

Mar 6, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #3,359 of 3,711
The only way you will be able to reassemble the DSD, is if you can bend those wires, so that they're not taller than the DIP-8 op-amp, when seated on the socket.
Yes, thats true. I made first calculations and i will be able to put Burson V6 inside DSDs.
1. Disemble stereo V6 to 2 separate mono boards
2. Connect wires from split in half Burson extender to DIP8 socket on DSDs
3. Make sure if everything is safe :wink:

Main question is if its worth upgrade to hi-end discrette opamp without any other upgrades. I must check it using board extenders on a raw device first.
Burson is clearly better opamp in transistor LPFs based amplifiers but on Zishan ADIII with tube preamp im not sure its good idea.

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #3,360 of 3,711
BTW - That does look like a coastal op-amp - built on stilts, above the storm surge height... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back