The Zishan dsd's corner
Dec 31, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #3,271 of 3,711
I have an 4499 Zishan.

I read somewhere in this thread that the digital board supplies 3.3v to power the entire analog board (to MP1542). If that's the case, we're basically regulating from battery's V+ down to 3.3V before it's regulated up by the MP1542.

Is it possible to connect the 3.3v from the digital board to the base of an NPN transistor, which connects V+ directly from the battery (emitter) to the analog board (collector)? It will probably result in cleaner supply voltage, in my (very) limited understanding. Please share what you think.

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #3,272 of 3,711
I have an 4499 Zishan.

I read somewhere in this thread that the digital board supplies 3.3v to power the entire analog board (to MP1542). If that's the case, we're basically regulating from battery's V+ down to 3.3V before it's regulated up by the MP1542.

I don't have that model, but I'm sure it's not like that, as you say it wouldn't make sense.
The 3.7V from the batt go to 3.3V LDOs and DC-DC converters.
The 5V LDO gets the voltage from the 5.xxV DC converter.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #3,275 of 3,711
Translated change log from 0.5c:

0.5c update log:
1. Modify the playback interface up and down keys and long press the volume increase and decrease
2. Increase CS43198 support

and many more

What else needs to be done:
1. Long text scrolling in the playback interface
2. Reduce the noise of 4499 DSD cut songs

and many more

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #3,276 of 3,711
Screenshot_20210104_171358_ua.slando.jpg

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #3,277 of 3,711
Translated change log from 0.5c:

0.5c update log:
1. Modify the playback interface up and down keys and long press the volume increase and decrease
2. Increase CS43198 support

and many more

What else needs to be done:
1. Long text scrolling in the playback interface
2. Reduce the noise of 4499 DSD cut songs

and many more
In my opinion the main thing that needs to be done is to enable track reverse. I think the rest of the player is fine, but that feature alone is a deal breaker.

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #3,281 of 3,711
@moshe tes
Although I clean my PCBs after soldering and they look clean, sometimes there was excessive sibilance or harshness in music that wasn't there before.
When inspecting with a cheap plastic microscope there was still salts from JBC liquid flux I used or grease from mechanic UV80 flux, deposited between smd components and the PCB or between dac/opamp legs. The opamps, their components and dac where the problematic contaminated areas for sound.
After cleaning it again with Isopropyl alcohol (or in worst cases with pure acetone) and let it dry, the problem went away. I use coton swabs (Q-tips) and a small gentle brush that can go between ICs legs and smds. Sometimes I needed to clean more than once what looked already clean.
So don't forget to clean the PCB, depending on the flux it can affect sound.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #3,282 of 3,711
@moshe tes
Although I clean my PCBs after soldering and they look clean, sometimes there was excessive sibilance or harshness in music that wasn't there before.
When inspecting with a cheap plastic microscope there was still salts from JBC liquid flux I used or grease from mechanic UV80 flux, deposited between smd components and the PCB or between dac/opamp legs. The opamps, their components and dac where the problematic contaminated areas for sound.
After cleaning it again with Isopropyl alcohol (or in worst cases with pure acetone) and let it dry, the problem went away. I use coton swabs (Q-tips) and a small gentle brush that can go between ICs legs and smds. Sometimes I needed to clean more than once what looked already clean.
So don't forget to clean the PCB, depending on the flux it can affect sound.

Hey you just answered a question before I even asked it. I am having a problem with the left channel outputting a loud hissing and squeaky noise. I measured 4.5v dc on the 3.5mm ouput. I see the theme of cleaning the pcb repeated over and over again as I try to figure out the problem.

Jan 18, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #3,283 of 3,711
My DSD still amazes me with it's sound quality and power output especially when its only playing DSD tracks
Seems like they were really made for each other

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #3,284 of 3,711
Hey you just answered a question before I even asked it. I am having a problem with the left channel outputting a loud hissing and squeaky noise. I measured 4.5v dc on the 3.5mm ouput. I see the theme of cleaning the pcb repeated over and over again as I try to figure out the problem.
From your description that could be something more.
So I looked at your photo (don't know if it's the last changes) but there you forgot to close one of the opamp loops, with a solder bridge/jumper (in the 3.5mm output opamp).

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #3,285 of 3,711
From your description that could be something more.
So I looked at your photo (don't know if it's the last changes) but there you forgot to close one of the opamp loops, with a solder bridge/jumper (in the 3.5mm output opamp).

I knew about the bridge. I found the issue to be that one of the lpf opamps OPA1612 for the left channel had malfunctioned and was putting out a lot of DC. I replaced both with AD8599 I had around and now I like it even better. More detailed. I think I have finally arrived at the musical nirvana or close enough to it that I was looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back