The Zishan dsd's corner
Dec 8, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #1,203 of 3,711
Most reliable seller on Aliexpress to get the Zishan 4497? And also why DSD512 is not supported since the AKM4497 can decode it?
Thank you.

Like transactions at eBay, Alibaba "protects" your transaction and will resolve any issue you may have including refunding your money. To me, I don't really look for the most reliable vendor. But in this case, NiceHCK is one of the better vendor and it has a Facebook account to interact and support customers. But NiceHCK usually does not have the lowest price.

Don't know why DSD512 is not supported.

Dec 8, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #1,205 of 3,711
Thank you :)
Do you know is usb type C can be added? I wish they did that instead of micro usb.

Anything is possible, if you're willing to have an adapter circuit board made, and then cut a new hole in the case that aligns with the USB C jack.
The DSD circuit board has connections for the Micro USB jack, which consists of these signals: Vbus, D-, D+, GND (and possibly Mode Detect - the USB C "CC1/CC2" pins may be equivalent).
The pinout of the 12 reversible pins (24 total) on a USB C jack are shown here so you'd need to wire the circuit board signals to the pins:
Micro USB Pin 1 = Vcc / Vbus = USB C Pins: A4, A9, B4, B9
Micro USB Pin 2 = D- = USB C Pins: A7, B7
Micro USB Pin 3 = D+ = USB C Pins: A6, B6
Micro USB Pin 4 = Mode Detect = USB C Pins: A5, B5 [if it's wired on the DSD board]
Micro USB Pin 5 = GND = USB C Pins: A1, A12, B1, B12
EDIT: I have no idea whether this would affect the ability of the DSD to function as a USB DAC. It shouldn't, if Configuration Detection (CC1 (A5) / CC2 (B5)) are the same as the Mode Detect (Pin 4).
max-usbc-0467-07-lg.gif

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #1,209 of 3,711
For me, in the DAC Setting, Sound Quality default is better than High quality sound mode. It has better clarity and better vocal.
Anybody know what the different between default and high quality sound mode?

I don't know what it does, the only thing I could find in ak4497 data sheet is the default is OFF, so maybe they consider that the best setting.

Page 65:
Sound Quality Mode bits: SC0, SC1 and SC2.
SC0 and SC1 control the "Analog internal current" and the default is the "maximum (Setting1)".
SC2 is called "High Sound Quality Mode" and the default is OFF.

There is also reference to it in page 91.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #1,210 of 3,711
Hi, what type of cable did i need for digital output?

Digital SPDIF output comes from the 3.5mm TS jack, on the same side as the USB jack.
You'd use a 3.5mm TS plug, which goes to whatever jack your DAC has (i.e.- Chord Mojo has a 3.5mm TS jack, but most other devices have an RCA jack for SPDIF input).

Dec 10, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #1,211 of 3,711
Hmm..

Whenever i try to raise the volume above 27 while listening through isine 20 out of the 2.5mm port, the sound distorts and switches to the left channel only. A soft reset fixes it.

This doesn't happen with the ZS6 even when the volume is at 30.

Strange..

Dec 10, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #1,212 of 3,711
Hmm..

Whenever i try to raise the volume above 27 while listening through isine 20 out of the 2.5mm port, the sound distorts and switches to the left channel only. A soft reset fixes it.

This doesn't happen with the ZS6 even when the volume is at 30.

Strange..

You have a Isine20? That must be nice. I can't feel bad for you :wink:

I found ZS5 v1 and ZS6 (with 1 of 2 high BAs blocked) sounded very different. ZS6's high is still too high for my taste, but the bass is much fuller than that of the ZS5.
So I am switching between these two depend on the music type.
I have a ZS10 unopened.

Dec 10, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #1,213 of 3,711
You have a Isine20? That must be nice. I can't feel bad for you :wink:

I found ZS5 v1 and ZS6 (with 1 of 2 high BAs blocked) sounded very different. ZS6's high is still too high for my taste, but the bass is much fuller than that of the ZS5.
So I am switching between these two depend on the music type.
I have a ZS10 unopened.
I have Meze Empyrean and I am looking to buy the Zishan DSD 4497 :) untill I can get a LPGT.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #1,214 of 3,711
Zishan DSD AK4497EQ - Excellent Sound Quality but very Bad Firmware Development, i observe player with firmware DSD v0.4H randomly turn off when change of song, seems to be the songs cache memory is bad or is very limited and not works well, also i test with a 200GB MicroSD FAT32 64Kb format and put 13,347 songs in MicroSD and the player is unable to read well and turn off constantly, in my test i try order 13,347 songs separately put aproximately 790 (that number works for me) songs in individual folders and sometimes works but many other times randomly the player continue abruptly shutting down. Observe for fix temporarily avoid turn off when start to read the MicroSD at the start i remove the microsd card and I turn on the player without her, after that i select menu EXPLORER menu and insert the MicroSD the player start to read the memory and for avoid player hangs turn off during reading (caching TF card...) process press down button several times inside the menu EXPLORER and that way the player is able to EXPLORE all folders and songs, sometimes with luck can the songs only using EXPLORER menu can be played and many other times it hangs and turns off. In my case with this quantity of songs 13,347 in MicroSD the PlayerNow menu not works player after start automatically Turn Off. Only i was able of play those quantity of song using Explorer menu fix-trick that i describe here and share with you. If you put less, 1000,2000,3000 quantity of songs the player works Normal. I hope future new firmware solves the songs quantity problem and the player will be able of mantain constant playback without turn off randomly, for moment i only use the player with a few songs im unable of put all my collection :frowning2: and also i use like DAC with Android cellphone and Laptop works normal well.

Does the same thing happen to someone else? working with many songs and unexpected turn off?
I do not think it's a problem with the format of the microSD because I already try the 2 different formats supported by the player FAT32 and exFAT, microSD card are in good health condition.
Also i try with different firmware 0.4F, G, H and none solve the described issues. I hope some new FW can solve their establitity because the audio Quality is Good.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #1,215 of 3,711
Zishan DSD AK4497EQ - Excellent Sound Quality but very Bad Firmware Development, i observe player with firmware DSD v0.4H randomly turn off when change of song, seems to be the songs cache memory is bad or is very limited and not works well, also i test with a 200GB MicroSD FAT32 64Kb format and put 13,347 songs in MicroSD and the player is unable to read well and turn off constantly, in my test i try order 13,347 songs separately put aproximately 790 (that number works for me) songs in individual folders and sometimes works but many other times randomly the player continue abruptly shutting down. Observe for fix temporarily avoid turn off when start to read the MicroSD at the start i remove the microsd card and I turn on the player without her, after that i select menu EXPLORER menu and insert the MicroSD the player start to read the memory and for avoid player hangs turn off during reading (caching TF card...) process press down button several times inside the menu EXPLORER and that way the player is able to EXPLORE all folders and songs, sometimes with luck can the songs only using EXPLORER menu can be played and many other times it hangs and turns off. In my case with this quantity of songs 13,347 in MicroSD the PlayerNow menu not works player after start automatically Turn Off. Only i was able of play those quantity of song using Explorer menu fix-trick that i describe here and share with you. If you put less, 1000,2000,3000 quantity of songs the player works Normal. I hope future new firmware solves the songs quantity problem and the player will be able of mantain constant playback without turn off randomly, for moment i only use the player with a few songs im unable of put all my collection :frowning2: and also i use like DAC with Android cellphone and Laptop works normal well.

Does the same thing happen to someone else? working with many songs and unexpected turn off?
I do not think it's a problem with the format of the microSD because I already try the 2 different formats supported by the player FAT32 and exFAT, microSD card are in good health condition.
Also i try with different firmware 0.4F, G, H and none solve the described issues. I hope some new FW can solve their establitity because the audio Quality is Good.
I use a 256gb Samsung card. I find that if I load it too much (like with 200mb only left), an MP3 will cause it to hang and shut off. Not a Flac or DSD but an MP3. If I hold back a few gb of memory, it doesn’t crash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back