The Zishan dsd's corner
Dec 11, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #1,216 of 3,711
I use a 256gb Samsung card. I find that if I load it too much (like with 200mb only left), an MP3 will cause it to hang and shut off. Not a Flac or DSD but an MP3. If I hold back a few gb of memory, it doesn’t crash.
In the microSD card of 200GB that I use i have 56 GB free, still the problem persists. https://imgur.com/a/ynRqPIE
Can you tell me please how you formatted your MicrosSD card? ExFAT or FAT32? and if you use any special tool for format the card and also how many song you detect your player manages stable well without crash and if you also order the songs by folders or no?
ynRqPIE
Thanks in advance. Regards

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #1,217 of 3,711
Does anyone know the function of the circular icon in the top right corner?

Software is obviously the challenge for the majority of daps even many top brands costing hundreds more.

1. Change the old typewriter font

2. Fix the bug that freezes album art when the screen is off.

3. Increase the size of the displayed art

4. Fix random crashes

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #1,218 of 3,711
Zishan DSD AK4497EQ - Excellent Sound Quality but very Bad Firmware Development, i observe player with firmware DSD v0.4H randomly turn off when change of song, seems to be the songs cache memory is bad or is very limited and not works well, also i test with a 200GB MicroSD FAT32 64Kb format and put 13,347 songs in MicroSD and the player is unable to read well and turn off constantly, in my test i try order 13,347 songs separately put aproximately 790 (that number works for me) songs in individual folders and sometimes works but many other times randomly the player continue abruptly shutting down. Observe for fix temporarily avoid turn off when start to read the MicroSD at the start i remove the microsd card and I turn on the player without her, after that i select menu EXPLORER menu and insert the MicroSD the player start to read the memory and for avoid player hangs turn off during reading (caching TF card...) process press down button several times inside the menu EXPLORER and that way the player is able to EXPLORE all folders and songs, sometimes with luck can the songs only using EXPLORER menu can be played and many other times it hangs and turns off. In my case with this quantity of songs 13,347 in MicroSD the PlayerNow menu not works player after start automatically Turn Off. Only i was able of play those quantity of song using Explorer menu fix-trick that i describe here and share with you. If you put less, 1000,2000,3000 quantity of songs the player works Normal. I hope future new firmware solves the songs quantity problem and the player will be able of mantain constant playback without turn off randomly, for moment i only use the player with a few songs im unable of put all my collection :frowning2: and also i use like DAC with Android cellphone and Laptop works normal well.

Does the same thing happen to someone else? working with many songs and unexpected turn off?
I do not think it's a problem with the format of the microSD because I already try the 2 different formats supported by the player FAT32 and exFAT, microSD card are in good health condition.
Also i try with different firmware 0.4F, G, H and none solve the described issues. I hope some new FW can solve their establitity because the audio Quality is Good.

Same Here

Dec 11, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #1,219 of 3,711
Hi all,

currently thinking about getting the DSD Pro as I only heard good things about the sound quality. Anyone out there also having the F.Audio XS02 and can compare the two in terms of sound quality?

Dec 11, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #1,220 of 3,711
Zishan DSD AK4497EQ - Excellent Sound Quality but very Bad Firmware Development, i observe player with firmware DSD v0.4H randomly turn off when change of song, seems to be the songs cache memory is bad or is very limited and not works well, also i test with a 200GB MicroSD FAT32 64Kb format and put 13,347 songs in MicroSD and the player is unable to read well and turn off constantly, in my test i try order 13,347 songs separately put aproximately 790 (that number works for me) songs in individual folders and sometimes works but many other times randomly the player continue abruptly shutting down. Observe for fix temporarily avoid turn off when start to read the MicroSD at the start i remove the microsd card and I turn on the player without her, after that i select menu EXPLORER menu and insert the MicroSD the player start to read the memory and for avoid player hangs turn off during reading (caching TF card...) process press down button several times inside the menu EXPLORER and that way the player is able to EXPLORE all folders and songs, sometimes with luck can the songs only using EXPLORER menu can be played and many other times it hangs and turns off. In my case with this quantity of songs 13,347 in MicroSD the PlayerNow menu not works player after start automatically Turn Off. Only i was able of play those quantity of song using Explorer menu fix-trick that i describe here and share with you. If you put less, 1000,2000,3000 quantity of songs the player works Normal. I hope future new firmware solves the songs quantity problem and the player will be able of mantain constant playback without turn off randomly, for moment i only use the player with a few songs im unable of put all my collection :frowning2: and also i use like DAC with Android cellphone and Laptop works normal well.

Does the same thing happen to someone else? working with many songs and unexpected turn off?
I do not think it's a problem with the format of the microSD because I already try the 2 different formats supported by the player FAT32 and exFAT, microSD card are in good health condition.
Also i try with different firmware 0.4F, G, H and none solve the described issues. I hope some new FW can solve their establitity because the audio Quality is Good.

Mine only crashes on the newest firmware, and only on mp3, but very rarely on flac and dsd, I rolled back the firmware and it stopped happening but since I listen to mainly flac I updated it back to newest firmware and stopped listening to mp3. it crashes but not often

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #1,221 of 3,711
I placed my order with NiceHCK, and the dispatch time was really quick, next day. No other seller before dispatched my order so quick. I am hoping to get it before Christmas here in UK. I've read that someone was using a Sandiak 400 GB micro SD without problems, so hopefully 512 GB will work also.
It will be nice if someone skilled could modify the firmware and also there is plenty of hardware modification. If are all willing to pay maybe someone will start the work. Also is possible to have custom made casework thicker if you don't mind to accommodate bigger capacitors, bigger battery etc.
Anyway, I am really impressed only from reading about the sound quality of this player. Can't wait to get mine.
It has huge potential and can really be improved in the right hands.

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #1,222 of 3,711
Hi all,

currently thinking about getting the DSD Pro as I only heard good things about the sound quality. Anyone out there also having the F.Audio XS02 and can compare the two in terms of sound quality?
I haven't heard the F. Audio but based on some user comments, it has issues with clipping especially dsd playback. Both use ak4497 chip.

Sound quality of the zishan more than makes up for the software quirks.

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #1,223 of 3,711
I use a SanDisk MicroSDXC Extreme 256Gb with readspeed of 160mb/s, formatted on exFAT. Few Gb's free. I have complete albums in directories and always play within one album folder, not a folder with thousends of files.....

My directory structure looks like this:

Root of card\Music\Yellow\Touch\files
Root of card\Music\Yellow\Toy\files
Root of card\Music\Roger Waters\Amused to Death\files

Etc.

I hadn't had a single crash since using Zishan DSD AK4497

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,224 of 3,711
I haven't heard the F. Audio but based on some user comments, it has issues with clipping especially dsd playback. Both use ak4497 chip.

Sound quality of the zishan more than makes up for the software quirks.
Thanks man - I think I will simply give it a try. SQ is what matters most to me and I think I can live with a bit of a wonky UI. There is a special offer on Ali at the Moment and I really think 93 € is a steal if the quality of sound is what almost everyone is confirming: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/****...461.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.32332e0e7RGNW7

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #1,225 of 3,711
Can you tell me please how you formatted your MicrosSD card? ExFAT or FAT32?
I use guiformat-x64 (fat32) and non of the cards crashes. Could be a defective card or 200 GB is not supported. I use 128GB for Zishan. I could try 256 GB, though.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #1,226 of 3,711
1. Change the old typewriter font

2. Fix the bug that freezes album art when the screen is off.

3. Increase the size of the displayed art
Is it really possible to increase the font in titles? Like the name of the song and album?
Is it possibke to change over to another song without the screen being lit? I mean the screen is black and with one touch you can go another (previous or new) song?
What is the firmware number?

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #1,227 of 3,711
Before the zishan all i used for music playback was my s7edge with uapp/neutron or ipod touch 5th gen.

I was one of those people who really didn't believe that daps really added much to the audio quality so i focused on getting the best iems i could afford.

This dap has changed that. I had given up on my ZS6, but to my suprise it sounds so good paired with the zishan that even the i20+cipher doesn't outshine it by much.. :confused:

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #1,228 of 3,711
Before the zishan all i used for music playback was my s7edge with uapp/neutron or ipod touch 5th gen.

I was one of those people who really didn't believe that daps really added much to the audio quality so i focused on getting the best iems i could afford.

This dap has changed that. I had given up on my ZS6, but to my suprise it sounds so good paired with the zishan that even the i20+cipher doesn't outshine it by much.. :confused:
Now that sounds promising! Is the Zs6 the iem you got when you were looking into the best one you could afford?

I can tell a similar story... Kid destroyed my 30€ Sennheiser iems so I thought, let's get something better this time around... Just wanted a better sounding iem, that's all. While doing my research, I found so much information and obviously HBBs YouTube channel so that I ended up buying a pair of Dm6, a balanced cable, the fiio mk2 to improve the sou d with my Huawei p9 phone and now I am even considering getting the zishan dsd.

So are you saying the dsd pro made the biggest improvement in sound quality in your case? I am just wondering how much of an uplift it will be for me once the Dm6 arrive, running them balanced into the dsd

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #1,229 of 3,711
Now that sounds promising! Is the Zs6 the iem you got when you were looking into the best one you could afford?

I can tell a similar story... Kid destroyed my 30€ Sennheiser iems so I thought, let's get something better this time around... Just wanted a better sounding iem, that's all. While doing my research, I found so much information and obviously HBBs YouTube channel so that I ended up buying a pair of Dm6, a balanced cable, the fiio mk2 to improve the sou d with my Huawei p9 phone and now I am even considering getting the zishan dsd.

So are you saying the dsd pro made the biggest improvement in sound quality in your case? I am just wondering how much of an uplift it will be for me once the Dm6 arrive, running them balanced into the dsd
Yea, i got the ZS6 and was really loving the sound, but couldn't listen fir long periods on account of the sibilance. So i researched further and after reading so many reviews, I decided on breathing new life back into my ipod touch by getting the isines..

Wow i really couldn't imagine how anything could possibly sound better.

Well, the zishan sort of closed that huge gap the isines opened up on my ZS6.

My mission at the moment is finding the best possible eq profile for the isines on the dap because the cipher doesn't quite have the oomph, stage and depth when matched.

So don't worry, you're in for a treat.. :smile:

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #1,230 of 3,711
This is the best bang for your buck DAP sound quality wise. AK4497EQ is way better than AK4490EQ IMO. I am drooling over the AK4499EQ already but you'll get half the battery life of AK4497EQ. I believe more Chinese DAPs will have AK4497EQ in it next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back