The Zishan dsd's corner
Nov 11, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #1,126 of 3,711
Floder is my number one complain.......biggest reason not to get the zishan...:ksc75smile:

Nov 11, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #1,128 of 3,711
Hi guys, since the old Zishan Z1 and Z2 thread have been closed down, i have no idea where to post this issue.

I have the Zishan Z1 and DSD and DSD have been my go to (alongside Xduoo X3) portable source, and the Z1 has been my desktop USB DAC ever since my soundcard gone haywire.

So recently the Z1 have been giving my problem with the left channel, where i have to adjust the angle of my 3.5mm male jack to have sound on the left, then today i wanted to find out what's wrong and to my conclusion i have to apply pressure on the side of the female connector to have a proper sound coming out, so now i am using a peg to hold onto it.
IMG_20181111_230430.jpg

I tried to drop abit of solder on at the side but it doesnt help too, anyone have any idea what's the problem?

Thanks in advance though i can make do with this for the time being xD

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #1,129 of 3,711
Hi guys, since the old Zishan Z1 and Z2 thread have been closed down, i have no idea where to post this issue.

I have the Zishan Z1 and DSD and DSD have been my go to (alongside Xduoo X3) portable source, and the Z1 has been my desktop USB DAC ever since my soundcard gone haywire.

So recently the Z1 have been giving my problem with the left channel, where i have to adjust the angle of my 3.5mm male jack to have sound on the left, then today i wanted to find out what's wrong and to my conclusion i have to apply pressure on the side of the female connector to have a proper sound coming out, so now i am using a peg to hold onto it.

I tried to drop abit of solder on at the side but it doesnt help too, anyone have any idea what's the problem?

got same problem in my stock zishan dsd ak4495. not much quality in these jack sockets..
if it's due to dirt, you can try to clean the contacts. first you can try to wet a cotton earpick with isopropyl alcohol, and rub it inside the socket. then, you can wet a 3.5mm jack, and insert and remove it repeatedly, with twist motions.
if this doesn't work, it could be due to a cold solder of the socket: clean them and re-solder.

Nov 11, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #1,130 of 3,711
got same problem in my stock zishan dsd ak4495. not much quality in these jack sockets..
if it's due to dirt, you can try to clean the contacts. first you can try to wet a cotton earpick with isopropyl alcohol, and rub it inside the socket. then, you can wet a 3.5mm jack, and insert and remove it repeatedly, with twist motions.
if this doesn't work, it could be due to a cold solder of the socket: clean them and re-solder.
Ahh i shall try the swab thing tomorrow and if it need resoldering then i'm screwed. Soldering earbuds is still ok, but dropping a solder on a tiny PCB? xD gotta still try it.

Thanks anw!

Nov 11, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #1,131 of 3,711

I have the Zishan Z1 and DSD and DSD have been my go to (alongside Xduoo X3) portable source, and the Z1 has been my desktop USB DAC ever since my soundcard gone haywire

You can also look inside the jack and see the contact points. With a needle, gently lift the contacts so they are raised more. This might provide better contact to the pins. I’ve done this on a unit before.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1,132 of 3,711
You can also look inside the jack and see the contact points. With a needle, gently lift the contacts so they are raised more. This might provide better contact to the pins. I’ve done this on a unit before.
Hmm i just tried, also with the alcohol swap method that @hakuzen suggested, doesnt work xD i guess it might really be a cold solder as when i use the peg to clip it, there is a pop sound when i push the connector down towards the PCB

Guess i shall just make do with this for now and wait for the DAC i've ordered this 11.11 sale :frowning2:

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #1,133 of 3,711
Do the Zishan Makers have a webpage? I'm having a real hard time seeing through all the Z3 DSD versions plus "updates" people did. In addition I'm trying to identify what I got in relations to what the webpages indicate for firmware (I often see a number 799 etc, but the rest is korean etc). I ordered a Z3 DSD with AK4497 on 11.11 out of curiosity, but I'm trying to get myself ready for an eventually required firmware upgrade ... and don't want to end up with a bricked player or a version, that was not intended for english speakers or whatever :)

Nov 12, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #1,134 of 3,711
Nov 12, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #1,135 of 3,711
It would be nice if they did, really good players for there price, I wish it could be rockboxed
That would be the icing on the cake if it could

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #1,136 of 3,711
It appears that the DSD (AK4497) uses a couple of "processors" - a STMicroelectronics STM32F745ZG (High-performance and DSP with FPU, ARM Cortex-M7 MCU with 1 Mbyte Flash, 216 MHz CPU, Art Accelerator, L1 cache, SDRAM), and an Altera MAX II EPM240/Z CPLD (Complex Programmable Logic Device - simpler than a FPGA). Since the Firmware is apparently user updatable (read from a writable Flash RAM), then someone with programming experience on the STM32F745ZG (ARM Cortex-M7) should be able to create alternate Firmware for the DSD. I don't know what they're using the Altera MAX II chip for, but I suppose it could be the interface for the LCD Screen, or doing the digital audio conversion to SPDIF (notice the holes for a header between the chip and the SPDIF socket, bottom-left).

STM32F745ZG and MAX II EPM240/Z on left (Top circuit board - the Display is on the "back" of this one), and AK4497EQ DAC on right (Bottom circuit board)
HTB1AgB4frorBKNjSZFjq6A_SpXak.jpg

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #1,137 of 3,711
It appears that the DSD (AK4497) uses a couple of "processors" - a STMicroelectronics STM32F745ZG (High-performance and DSP with FPU, ARM Cortex-M7 MCU with 1 Mbyte Flash, 216 MHz CPU, Art Accelerator, L1 cache, SDRAM), and an Altera MAX II EPM240/Z CPLD (Complex Programmable Logic Device - simpler than a FPGA). Since the Firmware is apparently user updatable (read from a writable Flash RAM), then someone with programming experience on the STM32F745ZG (ARM Cortex-M7) should be able to create alternate Firmware for the DSD. I don't know what they're using the Altera MAX II chip for, but I suppose it could be the interface for the LCD Screen, or doing the digital audio conversion to SPDIF (notice the holes for a header between the chip and the SPDIF socket, bottom-left).

STM32F745ZG and MAX II EPM240/Z on left (Top circuit board - the Display is on the "back" of this one), and AK4497EQ DAC on right (Bottom circuit board)
HTB1AgB4frorBKNjSZFjq6A_SpXak.jpg

OMG The Chinese inserted an extra processor in my DAP to spy on me. I will tip off the Bloomberg reporters. Lol

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #1,139 of 3,711
by the way .. in some mod they replaced all the caps with some sort of foil caps etc .... in laymans terms, what's wrong with the caps?
Sound quality (smoother and less harsh sound, subjectively), COG is better than stock, foil is better than COG.
I have Panasonic PPS caps in my AK4497 DSD, but making them fit is not easy and they don't like being subjected to isopropyl.

Nov 12, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #1,140 of 3,711
Sound quality (smoother and less harsh sound, subjectively), COG is better than stock, foil is better than COG.
I have Panasonic PPS caps in my AK4497 DSD, but making them fit is not easy and they don't like being subjected to isopropyl.

I haven't actually started on the mods, but I'm going to build an adapter so that the analog board can be flipped over and attached to the digital board, with the op-amp socket away from the other board - and with the battery placed in between the boards.
They will be mounted in a larger metal case, that will allow taller capacitors and op-amps.
The cases I've got to experiment with, are 110mm & 120mm (L) x 88mm (W) x 38mm (D) - compared to the DSD case size of 83mm (L) x 58mm (W) x 24mm (D).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back