The Zishan dsd's corner
Nov 6, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #1,115 of 3,711
Well it has high output impedance so it works better with higher impedance headphones, I haven't tried pure b.a. driver iems but I can say dynamic drivers are not effected too bad, my kz zs5 and zsr's sound good with it but my zst's sound off in the treble area, so if you plan on using pure b.a. iems or hybrid iems then you might try something less powerful, like a cayin, shanling, xduoo, or fiio ( but I can't recommend fiio because I have had way too much trouble with there daps) if you use over ear headphones or high impedance headphones/earbuds then it isn't a problem at all, if you use sensitive iems or b.a. iems then there maybe some distortion

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #1,116 of 3,711
Most of my IEMs have Impedance of 16-18Ω. Do they work well with Zishan DSD?

Same question
depends of the zishan dsd version you are talking about. they have very different output impedance. and both stock versions use coupling capacitors.
and depends of your IEMs have balanced armature drivers or not.

coupling capacitors will provoke some bass roll-off (sub-bass). the lower impedance your iems are, the higher bass roll-off you'll get.
It's not a big roll-off anyway (with a 16Ω load it's barely noticeable, -1dB at 40Hz, -1.75 at 30Hz, -3dB at 20Hz; with 8Ω, it goes very worse, though).
measurements of Zishan DSD AK4495 (stock):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...torial-in-post-2.800208/page-10#post-13107744

in the case of Zishan DSD AK4497 (stock), you have an output impedance around 20Ω. this adds tonal alterations to iems with balanced armature drivers, upper-mids and treble alterations most. tonal alteration is unpredictable if you don't know the impedance curve of the BA iems.
you can check a sample of ghostaudio miniA1 amplifier (15Ω output impedance) when paired with different kind of iems (only dynamic drivers -minimal alteration-, and balanced armature drivers -only BAs or hybrids, big alteration-):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...torial-in-post-2.800208/page-10#post-13107386
(if you want deeper info, just surf along this amazing thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...urements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2.800208/)

usually, you'll prefer to listen your iems with their original tonal intention.
however, there always will be people who prefer tonal altered gear, even distorted sound. everyone at their own like. we don't discuss liking.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #1,117 of 3,711
My collection of IEMs today mainly consists of cheap Chinese made KZ ZS5 v1 and KZ ZS6. They have have multiple "balanced" armature drivers. The impedence is around 16 ohms.
Hope they work well with Zishan DSD 4497 that I intend to buy. I also have a 4495 in the shopping cart too. But I think I like the "no volume knob" in the 4497 better.

Nov 6, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #1,118 of 3,711
My collection of IEMs today mainly consists of cheap Chinese made KZ ZS5 v1 and KZ ZS6. They have have multiple "balanced" armature drivers. The impedence is around 16 ohms.
Hope they work well with Zishan DSD 4497 that I intend to buy. I also have a 4495 in the shopping cart too. But I think I like the "no volume knob" in the 4497 better.

I would go with hakuzen's advice. Then again, its your call that matters. If you are ok with the issues that come with such pairings then all the best. I wish I could tell you to get the zishan 4497s. I was in your situation a week or so back. Good luck with whatever you go with my friend.

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #1,119 of 3,711
that's great, KZ ZS5 v1 and KZ ZS6: ZS6 is one of the rare exceptions where tonal alteration reports you benefits. so good zishan 4497 for zs6, but you'll get harsher highs with zs5 v1.
you'll find interesting this post then, where the tonal alterations on zs6 and zs5 v1 paired with a a source of 15ohms (a bit less than 4497), ghostaudio miniA1, are measured and discussed:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1553#post-13777787

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #1,120 of 3,711
i got stock and upgraded zishan 4495. they sound ok, but have some old wrong design: coupling caps. upgraded 4497 version fixes this, but adds 10Ω output impedance :frowning2:
in 4497, they keep the coupling caps, and add 20Ω output impedance. for me, it's a clear no-no-no.
you can consider getting 4497 for high impedance headphones, but for iems, there are many better (in various aspects) options nowadays.

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #1,122 of 3,711
Today is 11.10 but the 11.11 sale already started.

The decision to buy either Zishan 4495 or 4497 was made for me because the 4495 sold out already even through I had "reserved" 1 unit.

So I brought the Zishan 4497 for a final price of just $100usd.
And I also brought a KZ ZS10 iem with 5 BAs on each side. It has a stated impedance of 32ohms. Hope it will work well with Zishan 4497.

Thank you for all the advices I had received.

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #1,123 of 3,711
Well it has high output impedance so it works better with higher impedance headphones, I haven't tried pure b.a. driver iems but I can say dynamic drivers are not effected too bad, my kz zs5 and zsr's sound good with it but my zst's sound off in the treble area, so if you plan on using pure b.a. iems or hybrid iems then you might try something less powerful, like a cayin, shanling, xduoo, or fiio ( but I can't recommend fiio because I have had way too much trouble with there daps) if you use over ear headphones or high impedance headphones/earbuds then it isn't a problem at all, if you use sensitive iems or b.a. iems then there maybe some distortion
Hi, could you please be more specified on xduoo and shanling models for iems with BA drivers? I use kz as10.
What is you opinion about hidizs AP 60?

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #1,124 of 3,711
all daps i buy lately are output impedance <1ohm (or even lower) and can install rockbox on them.
got benjie t6 / agptek rocker now it's rockboxable (cheap, low power, great for not current demanding iems and for gym).
xduoo x3 is still a good choice (more power, a bit of hiss), but got xduoo x20 dap/dac recently, because i saw its measurements at RAA (nice power, noise and distortion), like sabre dac more than cs4398, or ak4490, is rockboxable (dual boot: hiby stock firmware, which is not bad, and rockbox), and has a nice balanced output (i've found i like to use this output with many iems), and bluetooth (i don't use this feature).
hidizs ap80 dap/dac is in transit, and there is a chance of being rockboxable (hiby firmware as well, less power but enough portable).
i just wanted to show some of the many competitors zishan dsd has.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back