The Zishan dsd's corner
Jan 12, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #1,501 of 3,711
i purchased a zishan dsd 4497 from aliexpress $102 shipped - took 14 days to get . burned in for 24 hours - it has a nice clean spacious detailed sound so far . i love just bringing this and an iem very portable . once u get used to the user interface its alright but it will frustrate you at first . loving this so far !@!!!!

wondering if an anew u1 which is a dynamic and 32 ohm will pair well with this one ?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #1,504 of 3,711
OK, this is waaaaay out there, don’t try it at home!

Swapped MP1542 DC-to-DC converter for LT1946, they are pin and functionality compatible.

Seems there’s a bit of improvement in HF, soundstage and dynamics, at the expense of somewhat “colder”, analytical sound.

@Merlin-PT and @Draknodd , challenge accepted? It’s msop 8, what could go wrong! :L3000:

Jan 14, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #1,505 of 3,711
I'll do it, yesterday I was looking for replacements to this and downloaded the MP1542 datasheet, it's a good reading. :)
Is the MP1542 they use MSOP or MSOP EP? EP=Exposed Pad bellow the chip?

I didn't understood why in both datasheets circuit examples they show only 10mA in -9V?

I was also thinking to increase the opamps voltage from +-9V to +-12V, what you think about this?

There's also the other smaller guy (B6288), are you saving it for later? :)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #1,506 of 3,711
Regular MSOP, no pad underneath.
Not sure re: 10mA, but both caps on the negative rail in DSD are 10uF, as opposed to much lower levels in examples.
Eagled eyed people pointed out to me that there may be an issue with comp pin (#7) on LT1946, but it definitely works, so don’t try it at home :wink:
Small guy is yet another step-up DC-DC convertor, MT3608 I believe, did not have a chance to research it further I’m afraid.
As to the opamps voltage, easily done, as long as all caps are 16V (in mine they are not), but what do you thing the benefit would be?

Jan 14, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #1,507 of 3,711
Stock android 6.xx marshmallow in nexus 5.
Lineageos android 7.xx in LG tablet.
Stock android 8.xx in xiaomi A1.
First 2 with micro usb cable + OTG cable.
Last one has usb type-c, used the same micro usb cable + USB to type-C adapter.

They all work, tested with youtube.

What cable are you using?

EDIT:
USB type-c cable connected to type-c phone + usb OTG adapter connected to zishan didn't work.

I think I solved the problem, below it’s a partial copy of the email that I have written to the developer of UAPP:

I tryed to uninstall uapp and connect the Zishan and everything worked without any problem with youtube, tidal, neutron and so on.

Then I reinstalled UAPP, connected the zishan, and when the UAPP popup appeared asking to take control of the USB audio interface:
- If I select OK, no audio from uapp and if I close UAPP, no audio from any other app.
- If I select no, audio perfectly working with UAPP and any other app.

Now, UAPP bypass the android audio Driver and use a proprietary driver that allows bit perfect streaming (also from streaming services like Tidal). The difference between android driver and uapp driver is very noticeable for ex. In my v20.
The problem is the uapp driver needs that the usb interface of the audio card connected communicate its audio specs during the handshake (like xmos and amanero do), our zishan don’t do that so no bit perfect streaming. Not a big deal but this is just for info.

Speaking about zishan today I received an original lm4562, lt1358 and 1364. After trying all of these I kept mounted the 1364, very neutral, detailed and not coloured. Imo slightly better than lm4562.

Jan 14, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #1,508 of 3,711
I think it's a UAPP issue, neutron recognizes zishan is 16/48, windows recognizes it is 16/48, the only way is that zishan reports that or even if it's not reported they fallback to the default. We can test if zishan reports it or not, but I don't use this in USB dac.
Also, UAPP should only load it's proprietary driver when UAPP is in use, if it can't recognize the DAC, let android and all other software use it. When I connect any usb DAC to my android, neutron ask permission to use USB audio. I see UAPP also does this, nice.
Also, UAPP should have an alternative to the automatic detection and let you manual select the sample rates you want to use and resample only what is not selected. I never used UAPP and have nothing against it, just saying what I expect from this kind of software.

Eagled eyed people pointed out to me that there may be an issue with comp pin (#7) on LT1946, but it definitely works, so don’t try it at home :wink:
Small guy is yet another step-up DC-DC convertor, MT3608 I believe, did not have a chance to research it further I’m afraid.
As to the opamps voltage, easily done, as long as all caps are 16V (in mine they are not), but what do you thing the benefit would be?

If possible, I would like to use better step-up DC-DC convertors in both places, I'll try to take some time to look at the datasheets and see if I can spot anything. :)

I also see the AK datasheet uses polarized capacitors around the DAC and we have ceramic, wouldn't it be better to follow the datasheet recommendation?

I also wanted to look at some other capacitors in zishan and try to see if it's important to have better specs in some places.

Regarding the opamp voltage, I'm using 300, 400 and 600 ohm earbuds and want to try it, just to see if I hear any difference.
I also have read this when I was looking at op275 datasheet:
(maybe something like this also happens to other opamps that have lower output current, using lower 300, 400 loads at lower supply voltages or with other conditions ?):
upload_2019-1-15_1-19-44.png

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #1,510 of 3,711
I have 250gb spread over 500 folders, no problems at all unless i stress device with pushing buttons too quickly

I tired another faster micro-sd, but it still crashes with 185gb of flac and mp3 files. I also tried slowly rubbing its nipples, but no luck.

Lastly, if I reduce the number of files and folders and i can get it playing fine, but if I press the bottom button, it freezes, then shuts down. :angry:

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #1,511 of 3,711
Yes happens to me from time to time, but not nearly as often as my fiio x1 gen 2 did, just once in a while

Jan 16, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #1,513 of 3,711
Is the Zishan DSD firmware open source? I would like to add a resume last song feature if possible. :alien:

Not as far as we know. It's actually encrypted, and stored in the microprocessor.

That's why I linked to the $70 ARM development board (a couple of pages back) - which could probably be used to create your own DSD digital front-end, and hooked to the AK4497 DAC / Analog Audio board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back