The Zishan dsd's corner
Jan 16, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #1,517 of 3,711
The DSD uses a 2.5mm TRRS jack for Balanced output, and this drawing shows only one 2.5mm pin-out. That wiring is correct:
Sleeve = L-
Ring-2 = L+
Ring-1 = R+
Tip = R-
All the outputs in my Zishan DSD are 3.5mm. When did they start making balanced outputs for DSDs?

Jan 17, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #1,518 of 3,711
All the outputs in my Zishan DSD are 3.5mm. When did they start making balanced outputs for DSDs?
Ak4497 version has balanced out

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #1,521 of 3,711
After a little use the stock DIP8 socket was loose and some of the opamp pins didn't make a good contact, I need to replaced it.
There are surface mount DIP sockets, but I don't have any, so I went and used the normal ones.

I have 2 different DIP8 plastic height sizes, if the taller plastic is used, only the DIP pins need to be broken (maybe sand a bit just in case), if the shorter plastic is used, the remaining pin needs to be a sanded (only sand the cone type transition to the larger pin socket, not further).
The shorter DIP8 will be a bit lower in PCB top and the contacts will go a bit further in the PCB bottom, I went with this one because this socket I had has better quality.

Here are the 2 plastic heights I have:
IMG_20190119_231429.jpg

How the 2 height types fit the PCB bottom:
(top one only need to break the pins, bottom one need to be sanded)
IMG_20190119_230819.jpg

IMG_20190119_230932.jpg

IMG_20190119_230635.jpg

IMG_20190120_162400_1.jpg

Note:
The pins and solder need to be hidden bellow the PCB line, so they don't perforate or scratch the battery. Also further smooth the bottom PCB surface by sticking some kapton tape to that PCB bottom area.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #1,522 of 3,711
After a little use the stock DIP8 socket was loose and some of the opamp pins didn't make a good contact, I need to replaced it.

If you take a Dremel bit, or a sharp X-Acto knife, and trim the plastic on the inside middle edges of the socket, then the low profile Dual Mono SOIC to DIP-8 adapters (without shoulders on the pins) will insert further (since the bottom chip will slip between the edges), allowing them to be no taller than a standard DIP-8 op-amp chip.

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #1,524 of 3,711
If you take a Dremel bit, or a sharp X-Acto knife, and trim the plastic on the inside middle edges of the socket, then the low profile Dual Mono SOIC to DIP-8 adapters (without shoulders on the pins) will insert further (since the bottom chip will slip between the edges), allowing them to be no taller than a standard DIP-8 op-amp chip.

Good tip, I don't have dual mono soic to dip8 to try, so I had lowered the inside a lot with a x-acto for dual soic to fit , but I forgot to increase the lateral inside space and thanks to your comment I now see I need to remove a bit of the inside laterals for the soic to fit bellow.
Good thing I haven't soldered it yet, now I'm going to sand the lateral inside plastic with a metal nail file.

I also gained an extra 1mm inside the dsd case with the lower profile dip8 socket.
At some point I considered soldering only the dip8 female pins without any plastic support. :)

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #1,527 of 3,711
Just installed 2 ada4637 (browndog style custom support: had to make it by myself since there is no room): compared to the original opamp it is simply FANTASTIC: instrument separation, clarity and soundstage jump to another level.
Very, very much recommended.
ADA4637 or 4627?
4637 is not internally compensated AFAIK so may be unstable at low gains...

Jan 21, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #1,529 of 3,711
I think I saw someone in this thread that unsoldered the socket to solder the Burson.

Here it is:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-supreme-sound-opamp-v5i.21562/reviews#review-20737

I think it also could be a good option to open V5i-D with a tool like a Dremel, remove the dip socket and solder new (modified) pins.
To me it looks like the pins are soldered directly into the Dip socket, so you have to remove those pins first.
See how it looks inside:

V5i-S2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back