The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Oct 26, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #4,711 of 5,721

Set the output to 2 speakers and set volume to 100 in asus control center (to control volume use m-stage only).
Set the appropriate gain on the m-stage for HD600. They are 300 ohms, so i guess you should try both 10 and 18 gain settings and see how do you like it.

Thanks! will have a play, had those settings already on the stx, but will have a play around with the gain.

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #4,717 of 5,721
Right,without the slightly undefined bass that I feel they can have at times through the line-outs.thank you
11.gif

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #4,719 of 5,721
Recently moved a Xonar ST to a new computer and things have changed.

I noticed a lack of definition, muddy sound, listening fatigue.
Also noticed a very loud floor noise when playing music. I'm not sure if it was there before.

1) The card is in a PCI slot from a Z87 MB. That's not native PCI.
2) The card is sitting right next to a 480GTX. Haven't tried using on Z87 video.
3) There's a new PSU which should be better than the last one.

Anyone experienced this kind of behavior?

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #4,720 of 5,721

Also noticed a very loud floor noise when playing music. I'm not sure if it was there before.

2) The card is sitting right next to a 480GTX. Haven't tried using on Z87 video.

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS?
Try removing the Asus drivers/software and install the "Unified Xonar Drivers".
Try using Foobar2000, for playing audio files.

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #4,721 of 5,721

Interesting.

I had ST long time ago, and was in a familiar situation. Couple things I did was:
1) Place the audio card at the furthest slot, away from other cards
2) Earth the computer case.

This is probably a bad idea, but I will share it anyway. With extreme caution:
3) Use an aluminum fold and wrap it around a cardboard, put the cardboard to separate audio card from the rest of the peripherals. Careful there you have to make sure it doesn't touch any component or it MIGHT short your devices - You have been warned :p Earth it with option 2.
I slot the cardboard into one of the PCI slot - but make sure that the bottom part which connects to the PCI slot does not have aluminum fold!

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #4,722 of 5,721
Originally Posted by Novorei /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you have anything external connected to the sound card, particularly an amplifier ?

Are you using the front panel headphone jack ?

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #4,723 of 5,721

No....suggestion...reseat the xonar and listen again...also make sure hda is disabled in the bios...good luck!

Cheers!

Gustav

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #4,724 of 5,721
Hi everyone,

i'm a happy owner of the xonar stx for about a year now but I have a problem that is driving me crazy. The card is picking up noise from the PC all the time and in the past few months it has become very audiable. i hear the hard drives spinning and this very annoying tzzzzt sound. Has anyone experienced this and if so, is there a solution other than getting an external dac?

Thanks
Eli

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #4,725 of 5,721
Hi everyone,

i'm a happy owner of the xonar stx for about a year now but I have a problem that is driving me crazy. The card is picking up noise from the PC all the time and in the past few months it has become very audiable. i hear the hard drives spinning and this very annoying tzzzzt sound. Has anyone experienced this and if so, is there a solution other than getting an external dac?

Thanks
Eli

Front panel or rear jack?  I never got the front panel to quiet down but no noise at all from the rear jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back