The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Dec 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #4,741 of 5,721
Something is wrong with my STX card and I think it has to do with my mobo, bios or psu.

Some weeks back I reinstalled Windows 7 on my PC and one of the things I noticed was that my STX 'suddenly started working.' Prior to this I had only enjoyed truly good sound from this thing intermittently, but now it was sound much richer, fuller somehow. Some noticable differences. Star Craft 2 had this weird echoey and ME3 on sounded muted when I set the dynamic range to high (which I understood to mean my Senn PC 360's weren't up to dealing with games dynamic range or something). Then I had had to go and spoil everything.

You see I got it into my head that my cpu fan was too loud. So I went to reseat it. Long story short I ended up having to clean some thermal paste from the under side of my CPU to get my computer working again.

During this process I noticed the Asus logo on startup changed from a big blurry version on the middle of the screen to a smaller more sharp version located higher up. Since then my card has not sounded right. I compared the sound of the card to the onboard sound and I can't tell any difference. I even compared it to my cheap laptop sound via the same headset (PC 360) no difference.

Desperate I moved the card from the PCIe 16 slot to a PCIe 1 slot right between my GPU and Heatsink. At first it seemed my problem was solved. The sound seemed different. Louder and smoother. This was short lived as I started getting headaches from the sound. I opened my system and noticed the pins on the underside of of the card were touching the heatsink. Yikes! I changed the orientation of the heatsink. It still sounds sounded louder and maybe even clearer but there is something big missing. Today I reinstalled windows again to see if that was the problem. Nope nothing. Same rubbish sound. I don't know what is wrong. The red light on the spdif thing is on and the card clicks as it is supposed to. Has anyone had this problem.

I have had some epic shut downs due to power outages so I am thinking that possibly my PSU is messed. I have heard that a faulty PSU can cause all sorts of problems. Then that weird logo change has me thinking as well. It changed to the big blurry logo when I flashed to the latest Bios a while back but when I reseated the heatsink it changed rather mysteriously. I have flashed to an older bios with a similar fat logo (I think) to see if that helps. Nope. I will flash to the oldest Bios to see if that does anything.

Interestingly, I had an issue a while back (earlier in the year) where my keyboard was not working until windows started which is what caused me to flash my Bios in the first place. I couldn't access the bios because the keyboard wouldn't work till windows started. I heard that that could be because of a failing mobo. Ever since the flash I have had no keyboard problems (though I notice my keyboard light settings don't show up on a fresh boot, only from a restart within windows or the login screen). I think prior to that I was pleased with the card though I can't be sure. In any case I know this card should sound better than it does even with my modest (sorta) headset. I have heard people claim they are unimpressed with the sound of the card while I have heard people compare the sound of it vs onboard to a rocket ship (stx) and a Kia (onboard). I have had both experiences. From being unimpressed to being moved deep inside my very being. Is the card defective? Is it a mobo issue? Or is it a PSU thing?

Any hints or even downright technical papers that will help me fix this issue would be appreciated. I am on the verge of buying a brand new mobo and PSU but I thought I would try here first. Any help would be appreciated. Please. Help.

I am using the unified drivers if that helps and hearing tests I performed were with foobar Wasapi (stx wasapi vs onboard wasapi) I also did more general test with with VLC (and I think some games).

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #4,742 of 5,721
  Something is wrong with my STX card and I think it has to do with my mobo, bios or psu.

Any hints or even downright technical papers that will help me fix this issue would be appreciated. I am on the verge of buying a brand new mobo and PSU but I thought I would try here first. Any help would be appreciated. Please. Help.  
I am using the unified drivers if that helps and hearing tests I performed were with foobar Wasapi (stx wasapi vs onboard wasapi) I also did more general test with with VLC (and I think some games).

Is the on-board audio disabled? in the BIOS

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #4,743 of 5,721
  Is the on-board audio disabled? in the BIOS

Yes. Though since the latest reinstall (yesterday) I have noticed that a mysterious 'high definition audio device' is always present. I think it is because I had the onboard disabled while installing Windows 7. When I enable onboard, two of these things (HD audio device) appear. I don't know if that is significant.

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #4,745 of 5,721
  I have a STX with HE-400s. I'm finding that my headphones aren't very loud, and was wondering if I either need an AMP or if I might have some settings wrong?

Try increasing the gain and/or volume.

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #4,747 of 5,721
  Yes. Though since the latest reinstall (yesterday) I have noticed that a mysterious 'high definition audio device' is always present. I think it is because I had the onboard disabled while installing Windows 7. When I enable onboard, two of these things (HD audio device) appear. I don't know if that is significant.

Better to disable on-board sound.

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #4,751 of 5,721
It's worth out of a Xonar D2X for STX?
I have a Sennheiser HD 598 and still a Onkyo TX-NR 616.
It is worth investing in STX, or both, Xonar and receiver are sufficient to push the phone ?
I felt that the Onkyo is better for music than the Xonar D2X.
Movies and TV shows have not yet tested, using the receiver.

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #4,752 of 5,721
  It's worth out of a Xonar D2X for STX?
I have a Sennheiser HD 598 and still a Onkyo TX-NR 616.
It is worth investing in STX, or both, Xonar and receiver are sufficient to push the phone ?
I felt that the Onkyo is better for music than the Xonar D2X.
Movies and TV shows have not yet tested, using the receiver.

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS

You would be better off getting a headphone amplifier and using it with the D2X.
The STX & D2X share a lot of the same hardware, the D2X just lacks a true headphone amplifier.
Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #4,753 of 5,721
Hi

Just about to purchase a pair of LME49720 but notice there made by different company's national, ti ect

Is there one brand i should stick with or are they all the same re build sound quality  ...

ta h

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #4,754 of 5,721
  Hi

Just about to purchase a pair of LME49720 but notice there made by different company's national, ti ect

Is there one brand i should stick with or are they all the same re build sound quality  ...

ta h

Texas Instruments, Incorporated, is the owner of both National Semiconductor® and Burr-Brown®.  Each brand is targeted at specific segments of the market for chips of the same pinout and case.

The NSC® LME49720NA and LME49860NA (improvements on the LM4562N, which is the stock line-level buffer) and the Burr-Brown™ OPA627 are direct competitors for the Asus® XONAR® Essence's™ two I-V positions (the ST and STX ship with JRC2114D's in the I-V); some of the more adventurous are using paired surface-mount single op amps (e.g., the TI® THS4031 or NSC® LME49990MA) on 8-pin DIP adapter printed-circuit boards.

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #4,755 of 5,721

Texas Instruments, Incorporated, is the owner of both National Semiconductor® and Burr-Brown®.  Each brand is targeted at specific segments of the market for chips of the same pinout and case.

The NSC® LME49720NA and LME49860NA (improvements on the LM4562N, which is the stock line-level buffer) and the Burr-Brown™ OPA627 are direct competitors for the Asus® XONAR® Essence's™ two I-V positions (the ST and STX ship with JRC2114D's in the I-V); some of the more adventurous are using paired surface-mount single op amps (e.g., the TI® THS4031 or NSC® LME49990MA) on 8-pin DIP adapter printed-circuit boards.

Thanks bcsc

Did not know that re company's

Should have stated what there for its for the asus essence st to go with the hd 650 headphones.....and from what i have been reading seems that the best combo is LME49720 these are also what asus sell as the upgrade kit for a hefty price but i can get these at under £2

http://uk.farnell.com/texas-instruments/lme49720na-nopb/op-amp-audio-17vin-55mhz-8dip/dp/2102668

so i assume these are the same

Still trying to work out what go's where re  i-v or buffer i am still researching this.

I am very impressed with this asus card for the price

My current set ups are RME 9632 with balanced cable mackie 1642 vlz pro & a bottle head crack with speed ball and various tubes

ta h

Users who are viewing this thread

Back