The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 28, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #4,486 of 5,721
Quote:
The Unified drivers are better, they are based on a more recent C-Media driver set. For myself I run Linux for my primary stereo music audio needs, it's more "bare naked metal" as the driver is built into the Linux-kernel(I use Windows and M-Audio for audio creation) :)

I have wondered what advantage there is in using the "Unified" drivers , if you have no problems with the normal one , its not like they can improve the sound is it ?

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #4,487 of 5,721
I have wondered what advantage there is in using the "Unified" drivers , if you have no problems with the normal one , its not like they can improve the sound is it ?

If you run ASIO with both drivers there's absolutely no difference in SQ as ASIO talks directly with the hardware, but if you don't use ASIO there can be noticeable differences between different drivers since they can have different behaviours against the Windows soundstack. But the biggest advantage with the Unified drivers is the possibility to configure exactly what portions of the driver to run, down to the basic C-Media driver, and thereby drastically reduce DPC-latency which in itself can cause noise when multitasking on the PC. If you only listen to music and do nothing else at the same time that won't matter.

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #4,488 of 5,721
I also figured that it was mainly to do with stability, but now that you mention it, I might try them out for the "multi-tasking" feature. The official drivers are working fine for me, as far as I can see, so yeah... Ah what the hell, I'll try em out and see. What's the worst that could happen?!?

*PC blows up*

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #4,489 of 5,721
Quote:

If you run ASIO with both drivers there's absolutely no difference in SQ as ASIO talks directly with the hardware, but if you don't use ASIO there can be noticeable differences between different drivers since they can have different behaviours against the Windows soundstack.But the biggest advantage with the Unified drivers is the possibility to configure exactly what portions of the driver to run, down to the basic C-Media driver, and thereby drastically reduce DPC-latency which in itself can cause noise when multitasking on the PC. If you only listen to music and do nothing else at the same time that won't matter.

Hi , many thanks for the great info , now i see :)

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #4,490 of 5,721
At the moment the STX  is out of the comp , im going the put in  2 x  LME49860NA  and at the moment leave the stock in the buffer , anyone else used that combo with anything else in the buffer , ie any recommendations for the buffer , before the card goes back in , in a few days , thanks :)

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #4,491 of 5,721
Quote:
People i really need to know if there is anyone with the same issue as me. I still have time to return the Soundcard.

Please let me know if you Xonar owners can hear a static noise coming trhough your headphones or not, when you pause a video.

1. Set Xonar driver to 8 channel mode
2. Open a random video (youtube f.e.)
3. Pause it
4. Set Maximum Volume to hear a possible noise.

If anyone can hear it let me know, so ill return the card immediately. otherwise ill check for a solution.

Ok guys, I finally found the solution for the problem.

After i testet the XOnar DX, STX and now the Pheobus, all had the same white noise, when i whatched videos.

Apparently the Drivers are set to 44khz/16-Bit standard.

When i changed the bit depth from 16 to 24 bit at the Pheobus driver, the white noise disappears.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #4,492 of 5,721
At the moment the STX  is out of the comp , im going the put in  2 x  LME49860NA  and at the moment leave the stock in the buffer , anyone else used that combo with anything else in the buffer , ie any recommendations for the buffer , before the card goes back in , in a few days , thanks :)

Depends on how you use the card, what you suggest will be the best if using the headphone out on the card. If using the RCA:s to the LittleDot, it could be the best, but it may be even better if you use one of the LME49860 as buffer and use stock in the IV. Because, it could be that it is the buffer that is the bottleneck for the RCA:s. The ideal would be to have 49860:s in all positions if course.

If you use the LittleDot you should normally use the RCA:s, to bypass the hp-amp on the card.

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #4,493 of 5,721
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeizo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Depends on how you use the card, what you suggest will be the best if using the headphone out on the card. If using the RCA:s to the LittleDot, it could be the best, but it may be even better if you use one of the LME49860 as buffer and use stock in the IV. Because, it could be that it is the buffer that is the bottleneck for the RCA:s. The ideal would be to have 49860:s in all positions if course.

If you use the LittleDot you should normally use the RCA:s, to bypass the hp-amp on the card.

Hi thanks , yes i use the RCA's , well as pointed out earlier , with the 2 x  LME49860NA and stock in the buffer , it will be technically be 3 x as there all the same chip !!!

Just wondered if there was a better option in the buffer , before the card goes back in , as its not easy getting the card in and out , i have to physically remove a hardrive !!! so dont really want to do it that many times :wink:

Im still in the process of trying to work out if the STX sounds any better than the DGX (which is back in ) to my ears , at the moment the jury's still out !!!

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #4,496 of 5,721
I have an stx and pc360 sennheiser, I also have ordered senn hd650 I have been thinking about swapping OP Amps depending how they pair with the 650,s. the pc360 sounds awesome nice balance. Big soundstage and mids are up front and centre. Bass is very neutral that is the only thing in which I would like to improve. It just seems to lack punch. This is probably due to the sound signature of the pc360,s and possibly not the stx. However is there any OP Amps in which I can improve the bass and still keep similar soundstage, detail and position accuracy. The stock amps are great for gaming I just feel I'm possibly missing out in music. Vocals sound fantastic but music with a lot of bass sounds a little flat and boring. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #4,497 of 5,721
Quote:
Got a pair of DT990 600ohm,and as I've read the amp in the card might not be the best while the DAC is awesome. So,I'm looking to grab a Schiit Magni,would it be a better way to drive my headphones?

My Essence STX seem to drive my DT990 Premium 600-Ohm headphones just fine.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #4,499 of 5,721
Ps has anyone used the headphone out for speakers ? just that i use the rca for my headphone amp , so would be good to have the speakers for the rare time i use them , there only ultra cheap powered comp speakers , so i suppose ive got nothing to lose if i try it out , shame you cant turn the amplication off !!!

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #4,500 of 5,721
Quote:
Got a pair of DT990 600ohm,and as I've read the amp in the card might not be the best while the dac is awesome. So,I'm looking to grab a Schiit Magni,would it be a better way to drive my headphones?

I highly doubt you'll get the same sound quality with a cheap standalone amp like Magni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back