The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #4,456 of 5,721
People i really need to know if there is anyone with the same issue as me. I still have time to return the Soundcard.

Please let me know if you Xonar owners can hear a static noise coming trhough your headphones or not, when you pause a video.

1. Set Xonar driver to 8 channel mode
2. Open a random video (youtube f.e.)
3. Pause it
4. Set Maximum Volume to hear a possible noise.

If anyone can hear it let me know, so ill return the card immediately. otherwise ill check for a solution.

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #4,457 of 5,721
Quote:
People i really need to know if there is anyone with the same issue as me. I still have time to return the Soundcard.

Please let me know if you Xonar owners can hear a static noise coming trhough your headphones or not, when you pause a video.

3. Pause it

If anyone can hear it let me know, so ill return the card immediately. otherwise ill check for a solution.

LOL think you better return it , as it seems your trying your best to find a fault with it , ie 4. Set Maximum Volume to hear a possible noise.

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #4,458 of 5,721
LOL think you better return it , as it seems your trying your best to find a fault with it , ie 4. Set Maximum Volume to hear a possible noise.

Im Not trying to find a fault, im trying to whether find a Solution to get rid of that noise, or One of you can Tell me that you have this noise as well so it has nothing to do with my pc or powersupply.

Mrlimbo you would really help here if you could just open a videodo for a Second and Tell me your results.

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #4,459 of 5,721
When you say set to max volume , do you mean on the video or system on max volume ? mine is through an tube amp as well , so cant replicate your setup !
Quote:
Im Not trying to find a fault, im trying to whether find a Solution to get rid of that noise, or One of you can Tell me that you have this noise as well so it has nothing to do with my pc or powersupply.

Mrlimbo you would really help here if you could just open a videodo for a Second and Tell me your results.

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #4,462 of 5,721
Old setup 

Xonar DGX > Little Dot I+ > Senn HD600

New setup

Essence STX > Little Dot I+ > Senn HD600  

Well my first night listening to the STX and im not happy with the sound at all , sound stage has decreased alarmingly , not sure how thats even possible , im actually forcing myself to listen to it , fatigue is very bad , didnt experience this at all with the cheap DGX , this is from the headphone out , so will have to try the rca out , i will say that its interference free, dead quiet , but thats about the only good thing i can say , the music is really not involving .

The Little Dot is a recent addition , and since using it , ive been astounded with everything ive listened to , and that is with the stock parts (opamps + tubes) , now its like ive gone back to my old setup (before the little dot), a very flat sound with very little sound stage.

Sounds like maybe your gain is set at default?

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #4,463 of 5,721

3. Pause it

You shouldn't have the volume on max. Set gain higher and lower volume.

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #4,464 of 5,721
Quote:

I agree , to me the scenario is a unrealistic one anyway , youtube @ 8 channels @ full volume and then pause and you might hear a noise ? , as i originally said if you try hard enough to find a fault with the card , eventually you will !!

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #4,465 of 5,721
Quote:

Quote:
I agree , to me the scenario is a unrealistic one anyway , youtube @ 8 channels @ full volume and then pause and you might hear a noise ? , as i originally said if you try hard enough to find a fault with the card , eventually you will !!

I actually know that i shouldnt set the volume on max, my question was if one of you guys can hear a noise as well, when you have that setup as described earlier. Because i can hear that noise even on a normal setup (2channel) with 50% volume. These extreme settings (8channel + max volume) was just to make sure whether you can or cant hear a noise.

But i already have found out on a nother forum that this noise I was talking about is a Xonar thing, almost every user with a DX or STX on that forum agreed with me that they can actually hear a noise out of their headphones.
So thanks anyway.

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #4,466 of 5,721
Quote:

Quote:
Im looking to make the sound stage bigger and also to lessen the brightness/harshness on the higher range , is this possible with opamps ?
Really want to make this card work for me , so looking into all ways to get it to work with my ears :wink:

Thank you :)

There is another ,cheaper option, for you to consider. You could replace two JRCs with two LME49720 and leave the default LM4562 in the buffer position. Some people even got them from national semiconductor as free samples, but i don't know the way :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LME49720NA-Dual-OpAmp-Audiophile-AUTHENTIC-LME49720-DIP-/160536400278 ---> just an example, i think they could be found cheaper.

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #4,467 of 5,721
Quote:

3. Pause it

There is zero noise through headphone out at any channel mode and any gain setting, on my card at maximum volume. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #4,468 of 5,721
Quote:

There is another ,cheaper option, for you to consider. You could replace two JRCs with two LME49720 and leave the default LM4562 in the buffer position. Some people even got them from national semiconductor as free samples, but i don't know the way :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LME49720NA-Dual-OpAmp-Audiophile-AUTHENTIC-LME49720-DIP-/160536400278 ---> just an example, i think they could be found cheaper.

Hi many thanks , ive got some "LME49860NA" am i right that they are the same as the LME49720NA ?

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #4,469 of 5,721
Quote:
I actually know that i shouldnt set the volume on max, my question was if one of you guys can hear a noise as well, when you have that setup as described earlier. Because i can hear that noise even on a normal setup (2channel) with 50% volume. These extreme settings (8channel + max volume) was just to make sure whether you can or cant hear a noise.

But i already have found out on a nother forum that this noise I was talking about is a Xonar thing, almost every user with a DX or STX on that forum agreed with me that they can actually hear a noise out of their headphones.
So thanks anyway.

Hmm...I dont know, I've done quite a bit of reading on Asus cards when buying them but never heard anyone mention this noise.  I've had a DG, D2X, and two ST's, never heard any noise from any headphone, regardless of impedance or settings, except when SVN was turned, then there's some whining noise, but thats a stupid thing to have to turned on anyway. 

I haven't been involved in this discussion from the start, so I don't know which of the following you've done already, but try to change the PCI socket, I mean, use another one on your motherboard if you can, and use a different power cable (i mean the molex cable) from your computer power supply to the sound card.  Also, you might wanna take the shield off of the card and check if the op-amps are fitted properly, and at the same time check for some obvious damages such as scratches on the PCB, bad solder joints, etc.  I know that when I was modifying my Musical Fidelity V-CAN headphone amp by replacing the op-amps and capacitors, I had to re-solder a lot of them because a bad solder joint made a really high pitched whiny sound.  Of course, you're not gonna do that if you have a warranty. Also, try to play around with settings in the windows control panel under sound devices or playback devices. Right click on the card, properties, advanced, then try changing the sample rates and playing with exclusive mode options. It definitely sounds like there is something wrong with your card.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #4,470 of 5,721
Quote:
Hi many thanks , ive got some "LME49860NA" am i right that they are the same as the LME49720NA ?

60's are apparently a bit superior according to some people. I don't hear a difference between them trough K701's.  They are IMHO the best op-amps to upgrade to though...better than AD797BRZ, which are totally overpriced in my opinion. 49860 has a very neutral sound with a slight hint of warmth, a bigger soundstage than stock and possibly more detail, while sound more musical, organic and effortless. I never liked the stock ST because it never made the music sound pleasing, it was harsh and too analytical, these opamps change that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back