The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #4,471 of 5,721
Quote:

60's are apparently a bit superior according to some people. I don't hear a difference between them trough K701's.  They are IMHO the best op-amps to upgrade to though...better than AD797BRZ, which are totally overpriced in my opinion. 49860 has a very neutral sound with a slight hint of warmth, a bigger soundstage than stock and possibly more detail, while sound more musical, organic and effortless. I never liked the stock ST because it never made the music sound pleasing, it was harsh and too analytical, these opamps change that.

Many thanks thats great , i'll go for that as my first upgrade , do you reccomend leaving the LM4562 in the buffer position ? 

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #4,472 of 5,721
Quote:
Many thanks thats great , i'll go for that as my first upgrade , do you reccomend leaving the LM4562 in the buffer position ? 

If you only use a headphone output on the card, then buffer op-amp is irrelevant, if you use the RCA out, then you should change the buffer op-amps too.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #4,473 of 5,721
Quote:

If you only use a headphone output on the card, then buffer op-amp is irrelevant, if you use the RCA out, then you should change the buffer op-amps too.

Thanks again , i use the rca's so i should go for 3 x LME49860NA ?

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #4,474 of 5,721
Jun 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #4,475 of 5,721
Jun 25, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #4,476 of 5,721

60's are apparently a bit superior according to some people. I don't hear a difference between them trough K701's.  They are IMHO the best op-amps to upgrade to though...better than AD797BRZ, which are totally overpriced in my opinion. 49860 has a very neutral sound with a slight hint of warmth, a bigger soundstage than stock and possibly more detail, while sound more musical, organic and effortless. I never liked the stock ST because it never made the music sound pleasing, it was harsh and too analytical, these opamps change that.

Ironically, I want ultra-analytical, as I need the headphone amplifier on my XONAR® Essence™ STX™ for monitoring an audio stream outbound to the Internet.  This also requires ultra-accurate dual op amps in the I-V, as they feed the Texas Instruments® TPA6120A2 headphone amplifier.  The weakest link in this chain is, of course, the headset itself; it's not easy to engineer one that has no need of EQ to accurately monitor the outgoing stream; but I'd be remiss to neglect op amps.

Texas Instruments® manufactures all the candidate op amps for my rig's I-V, which run a gamut from high-fidelity audio-optimized designs that can drive a 600Ω load (e.g., the National Semiconductor® LME49990MA, although as a surface-mount op amp it requires a specific adapter board) to low-power-consumption video amplifiers (e.g., the THS4031 and THS4032); the National Semiconductor® LME49860NA is one candidate that plugs into the STX'™ JEDEC 8-pin DIP sockets without need for an adapter board.  (The Analog Devices® AD797BR was ruled out of further consideration due to stability issues.)

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #4,477 of 5,721
I got this from frugaphile http://i39.tinypic.com/j9szkh.jpg

This is a lme49990 with a small cap solded to prevent the oscilation, now these runs less hotter that the standar version, aprox 45 ºC
I can't say nothing about a difference in SQ , i only try it for an hour, i didn't notice nothing strange.

I hope this can help.

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #4,478 of 5,721
I just changed back to the OP-rolled Xonar Essence ST after using my stock Xonar DX for a couple of days, when trying out a NAD 116 preamp I picked up and refurbished myself , the difference is huge!

Xonar DX sounds clean and all, but there's no real life, sparkle and impact, the sound is somewhat tiny even if clean. The ST brings all that back, very lively presentation with a large soundstage, it's even cleaner and the bass is as powerful as can be. And everything sounds dynamic.

ST with those OP:s in my sig. is a very satisfying source which I easily can recommend, I've stopped using physical media so a high quality source for presenting all those files and streams is a must!

An OP-amp rolled ST/STX is a bargain compared to those more exotic network-players and USB-DAC:s out there which eventually surpass it SQ-wise.
(Linn for example uses lots of LM4562:s in their players, so we may be on to something here)  :)

As a sidenote, besides the obvious potential of having a fully balanced preamplifier with several outputs so does the NAD 116 outperform my Sony-amp in one important aspect; the NAD has a dead-quiet background when using Xonar ST/HD-600, the Sony has a very slight hum in the left earcup. That alone makes me feel like it being more than a sidegrade, The NAD has no problem driving HD-600 as it features a separate discrete HP-amp on a dedicated circuit-board inside, delivering 8V in 600Ohm, which seems to be more than enough.

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #4,479 of 5,721
Quote:
I got this from frugaphile http://i39.tinypic.com/j9szkh.jpg

This is a lme49990 with a small cap solded to prevent the oscilation, now these runs less hotter that the standar version, aprox 45 ºC
I can't say nothing about a difference in SQ , i only try it for an hour, i didn't notice nothing strange.

I hope this can help.

Very interesting, I guess they will show upp on the bay soon!

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #4,480 of 5,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeizo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Xonar DX sounds clean and all, but there's no real life, sparkle and impact, the sound is somewhat tiny even if clean. The ST brings all that back, very lively presentation with a large soundstage, it's even cleaner and the bass is as powerful as can be. And everything sounds dynamic.

Note that the ST has about 1 dB higher line output voltage, which would make it sound "better" in a way similar to what you described without accurate level matching.

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #4,481 of 5,721
Note that the ST has about 1 dB higher line output voltage, which would make it sound "better" in a way similar to what you described without accurate level matching.

Nice try :p In fact, the DX is the louder part by default since I use a -6dB setting as standard for ST and -3dB for DX(Iuse Linux and ALSA). That would make it 2dB louder! But of course I manually adjust the volume on my preamp after that. It's not a small difference, the ST sounds way better :)

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #4,483 of 5,721
Quote:
Have you guys downloaded the beta drivers from Asus? Seems like they were released this month.

Do you mean
1.Modify Japanese and Russian Language. ?

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #4,485 of 5,721
The Unified drivers are better, they are based on a more recent C-Media driver set. For myself I run Linux for my primary stereo music audio needs, it's more "bare naked metal" as the driver is built into the Linux-kernel(I use Windows and M-Audio for audio creation) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back