The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 14, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #4,426 of 5,721
Quote:

Already rolled back to W7 from W8, made no difference.

Tried updating all possible drivers tonight and flashed the bios, made no difference. Disabled on board sound, also made no difference.

Sort of at wits end here, don't know what to do other than send the card back for a replacement or use it an an excuse for an upgrade. 

Burn a Linux Live distribution to a DVD or USB and run from there, if it works fine in Linux it's Windows/Software-related otherwise it may be a hardware fault mabe the mainboard or RAM ... faulty hardware can be identified using the Ultimate Boot CD/DVD.

Also, I suppose you have reset the bios or UEFI to "optimized default" so you don't have any weird settings left in there, and if it's a modern HDD you should choose AHCI for the HD-drives in the bios before you install WIndows since most bioses/UEFIs default to IDE.

Choosing the right pcie-slot for the soundcard can be essential on some mobos because of the respective vendors sometimes choosing a strange configuration for the pcie-lanes.

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #4,427 of 5,721
Quote:

1. 2x: 2xLME49710HA on DIP8 by Scorch (excellent craftmanship)
  2. 2x: 2xOPA827AID on DIP8 by Scorch (excellent craftmanship)

on DIP8 by Scorch

Where are these from ? , im looking for an adaptor before i get the HA's , cheers

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #4,428 of 5,721
Old setup 

Xonar DGX > Little Dot I+ > Senn HD600

New setup

Essence STX > Little Dot I+ > Senn HD600  

Well my first night listening to the STX and im not happy with the sound at all , sound stage has decreased alarmingly , not sure how thats even possible , im actually forcing myself to listen to it , fatigue is very bad , didnt experience this at all with the cheap DGX , this is from the headphone out , so will have to try the rca out , i will say that its interference free, dead quiet , but thats about the only good thing i can say , the music is really not involving .

The Little Dot is a recent addition , and since using it , ive been astounded with everything ive listened to , and that is with the stock parts (opamps + tubes) , now its like ive gone back to my old setup (before the little dot), a very flat sound with very little sound stage.

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #4,430 of 5,721
Quote:
try using line out instead
hp out uses the sound cards amp, so youre really amping twice

Hi , thanks , i intend to , but i was amping twice with the DGX with no detriment , will try the rca out next , but im now really missing the DGX and actually enjoy listening to music , whereas with STX ive stopped after an hour and my ears are still hurting !! think i'll be moving it on !!!

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #4,431 of 5,721
Quote:

Burn a Linux Live distribution to a DVD or USB and run from there, if it works fine in Linux it's Windows/Software-related otherwise it may be a hardware fault mabe the mainboard or RAM ... faulty hardware can be identified using the Ultimate Boot CD/DVD.

Also, I suppose you have reset the bios or UEFI to "optimized default" so you don't have any weird settings left in there, and if it's a modern HDD you should choose AHCI for the HD-drives in the bios before you install WIndows since most bioses/UEFIs default to IDE.

Choosing the right pcie-slot for the soundcard can be essential on some mobos because of the respective vendors sometimes choosing a strange configuration for the pcie-lanes.

To vouch for xelzo, the Advanced LinUX Sound Architecture Project now supports the Asus® XONAR® family (except possibly the ROG® XONAR® Phoebus™) with a driver in Release 1.0.26: snd-virtuoso.  On my CM1630-06 (with 750W Antec® PSU) running Windows®, I was forced to use the inboardmost PCI-e slot on the stock M5A78LT-M/CSM, as both legacy PCI slots had to be kept empty for the cooling air the EAH6850 DirectCU® card (PCI-Express x16) requires, but I found this to be a sonic non-issue due to the radio-grade shielding on the XONAR®.  I plan to use snd-virtuoso when, having purchased a new system for Microsoft® Windows® 8ight™ Service Pack 1 64-bit 8.0.10001 (MultiProcessor Kernel 6.2.9201) by that time, I replace the current Windows® 7.0.8001 on the CM1630 with Ubuntu® 14.04.1-LTS, AMD64 Edition.

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #4,432 of 5,721
Hello

I have Xonar Essence ST card (default Opamps) paired with ATH M50 on headphone side and Altec lansing 5021 on speakers side..I like more orchestral music, ambient music, instrumental..With current setup the bass is not very deep but i don't mind..I am thinking of changing the opamps to further improve my headphone music experience..I need Opamps suited for the music types above...
Do you guys recommend 2x LME49710 for this setup ?

Thanks

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #4,433 of 5,721
you mean LME49710HA on the buffer right?

I have LME49710HA in buffer  and LME49720HA in I/V.

LME49170HA has more bass than LME49970 and stock (but still is bright), has more breath and detail ( I think it's faster than stock), it's somewhat like OPA627, though the OPA has better mid-bass, not sure if more refined. Maybe pair it with another I/V opamps?

I've never had the MTH-50   I have the AD900.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #4,434 of 5,721
Quote:
Old setup 

Xonar DGX > Little Dot I+ > Senn HD600

New setup

Essence STX > Little Dot I+ > Senn HD600  

Well my first night listening to the STX and im not happy with the sound at all , sound stage has decreased alarmingly , not sure how thats even possible , im actually forcing myself to listen to it , fatigue is very bad , didnt experience this at all with the cheap DGX , this is from the headphone out , so will have to try the rca out , i will say that its interference free, dead quiet , but thats about the only good thing i can say , the music is really not involving .

The Little Dot is a recent addition , and since using it , ive been astounded with everything ive listened to , and that is with the stock parts (opamps + tubes) , now its like ive gone back to my old setup , a very flat sound with very little sound stage.

I fail to see the need for amping the signal from the stx and then thru the little dot, I am running out of the stx soundcard's headphone out to HD 650's and get great fidelity and more than enough volume to make my ears bleed, if I wanted to that is.  Something is not set quite right or a bad card, but try taking the little dot out of the loop.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #4,435 of 5,721
you mean LME49710HA on the buffer right?

I have LME49710HA in buffer  and LME49720HA in I/V.

LME49170HA has more bass than LME49970 and stock (but still is bright), has more breath and detail ( I think it's faster than stock), it's somewhat like OPA627, though the OPA has better mid-bass, not sure if more refined. Maybe pair it with another I/V opamps?

I've never had the MTH-50   I have the AD900.

Never tried any opamp...I am just asking around Opamps for improving instrumental music..Mids and Highs..I want to improve both (Headphone side and Speaker side) but mostly headphone side as the speakers may need improved themselves and not worth the hassle..

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #4,436 of 5,721
Quote:

I fail to see the need for amping the signal from the stx and then thru the little dot, I am running out of the stx soundcard's headphone out to HD 650's and get great fidelity and more than enough volume to make my ears bleed, if I wanted to that is.  Something is not set quite right or a bad card, but try taking the little dot out of the loop.

Hi , well the little dot 1+ is not that powerful but it worked wonderfully with the head amp of the DGX , ive now set it up from the rca out and will give that a go tonight , dont want to take the little dot out of the loop as the sound from it is fantastic , i just wanted a better source to feed it , i just thought the STX would be similiar but better than the DGX , but obviously ive not got it set up right or it doesnt suit my ears !

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #4,437 of 5,721
Quote:
I have Xonar Essence ST card (default Op-amps) paired with ATH M50 on headphone side and Altec lansing 5021 on speakers side..I like more orchestral music, ambient music, instrumental..With current setup the bass is not very deep but i don't mind..I am thinking of changing the op-amps to further improve my headphone music experience..I need Op-amps suited for the music types above...
Do you guys recommend 2x LME49710 for this setup ?

I would say to sell off the ATH-M50 and put cash towards new headphones.
The Audio Technica ATH-A900X are going for as low as $170

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #4,438 of 5,721
Quote:
I would say to sell off the ATH-M50 and put cash towards new headphones.
The Audio Technica ATH-A900X are going for as low as $170

I leave in Europe and a brand new ATH-A900X is around 520$ and a brand new ATH M50 are around 220$ ....On the other hands in either case the Opamp exchange will improve the sound and is cheaper than buying a new pair ATH A900X...

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #4,439 of 5,721
Quote:
Hi , thanks , i intend to , but i was amping twice with the DGX with no detriment , will try the rca out next , but im now really missing the DGX and actually enjoy listening to music , whereas with STX ive stopped after an hour and my ears are still hurting !! think i'll be moving it on !!!

Well using the rca out is much much better , and seems just as loud , the sound stage is better , but still not as good as with DGX (not sure how thats possible , may swap the old card back in to check it out ) the clarity of STX is very noticeable , you can almost hear the blankness of the silence , it can almost be frightening ! 

What is the best setting to have the volume in the Asus Audio Center ? is it still best practice to have the volumes on max all along the line , and have the final (amp) control the master volume ?

Many thanks :)

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #4,440 of 5,721
I REALLY hate self-promotion, but I have one of these for sale for $125 (ST PCI model), I posted it in the amplification FS forum, but there isn't really a good section to put it under. I'm sure someone wouldn't mind a cheap one anyway, they have only gotten more expensive for used ones on amazon since I got mine :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back