The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Oct 17, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #3,796 of 5,721
Quote:
So I got my asus xonar essence and I've been using it with my ath-m50, is it normal I have to crank the volume bar above 3/4 and sometimes all the way up so I can listen music at a good (drunk good if you know what I mean) level?

I'm using normal gain, and unified xonar drivers btw, the m50s have 38ohms of impedance

Follow instructions here: wiki and set to low gain for those headphones, but I suspect the bass will atleast be a little out of sorts - most probably not Denon level.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #3,797 of 5,721
Quote:
Follow instructions here: wiki and set to low gain for those headphones, but I suspect the bass will atleast be a little out of sorts - most probably not Denon level.

thank you very much, it sounds a lot louder now but isn't resampling 44.1khz to 48khz bad?

And I'm getting the sound output interrupted when any other sound tries to play on windows (like facebook notification sound) using wasapi on musicbee (If I use ASIO it plays really fast or really slow so ASIO is not an option for me)

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #3,798 of 5,721
hey guys i followed the guide and am using foobar with 48/24 settings.  i was wondering when i resample to 48000 if i should check ultra mode or not and also under output should i select wasapi(event) or wasapi(push) with my xonar card?  oh and im currently using wasapi was wondering if i should keep wasapi or use asio?  between foobar and musicbee is one better than the other for audio quality or they about the same?  Thanks!

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #3,799 of 5,721
Quote:
hey guys i followed the guide and am using foobar with 48/24 settings.  i was wondering when i resample to 48000 if i should check ultra mode or not and also under output should i select wasapi(event) or wasapi(push) with my xonar card?  oh and im currently using wasapi was wondering if i should keep wasapi or use asio?  between foobar and musicbee is one better than the other for audio quality or they about the same?  Thanks!

ASIO and WASAPI should be identical if implemented correctly. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #3,800 of 5,721
Quote:

yeah use ultra
i use asio 1.0 since it doesnt mute other programs, and since i dont have an amp to use asio 2.0

use whichever player you prefer.  there shouldnt be any sq difference, unless a player is using some kind of hidden dsp effect
differences are mostly playlist management and vst/plugin support

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #3,802 of 5,721
Hello all,

I am having fun with the STX and VLC combo for music playback.  I enjoy using Xonar Audio Center to mess with effects and select from Dolby Headphone or HF mode, etc.

I just installed Foobar to give it a shot and the first thing I realized is that it seems to bypass all control of the Xonar Audio Center, thus preventing me from being able to choose between HF, Gaming, Music, Movie, Dolby Headphone, etc.  Does anyone know why this is or how I can get all audio playback controlled through the Xonar Audio Center?

Cheers

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #3,803 of 5,721
Quote:
I am having fun with the STX and VLC combo for music playback.  I enjoy using Xonar Audio Center to mess with effects and select from Dolby Headphone or HF mode, etc.
I just installed Foobar to give it a shot and the first thing I realized is that it seems to bypass all control of the Xonar Audio Center, thus preventing me from being able to choose between HF, Gaming, Music, Movie, Dolby Headphone, etc.  Does anyone know why this is or how I can get all audio playback controlled through the Xonar Audio Center?

I'm guessing bypassing the controls keeps the audio signal cleaner.

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #3,804 of 5,721
If I use high gain with my low impedance Sennheiser HD598s, how badly will the sound quality be affected? Should I just stick with the recommended normal gain for low impedance headphones?

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #3,805 of 5,721
Quote:
If I use high gain with my low impedance Sennheiser HD598s, how badly will the sound quality be affected?

The "gain" control is digital, and does not affect the quality, it just makes the sound louder (the analog parts of the card actually always work as if you set the maximum gain and volume).

One thing that does have an effect on the sound quality is if you set the "left" and "right" controls higher than the default of 76; these can boost the level in software by up to 12 dB, but dynamic compression will be used to prevent clipping. The dynamic compression may also be triggered when using the EQ. If the compression can only be avoided by increasing the gain and decreasing the volume, then higher gain might indeed improve sound quality.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #3,806 of 5,721
Quote:

The "gain" control is digital, and does not affect the quality, it just makes the sound louder (the analog parts of the card actually always work as if you set the maximum gain and volume).

One thing that does have an effect on the sound quality is if you set the "left" and "right" controls higher than the default of 76; these can boost the level in software by up to 12 dB, but dynamic compression will be used to prevent clipping.

I thought that the different levels of gain had different voltages(extra high gain being at 7Vrms)? Or is voltage driven by volume, meaning that it's only delivering 7Vrms when at maximum volume?

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #3,807 of 5,721
Quote:
I thought that the different levels of gain had different voltages(extra high gain being at 7Vrms)? Or is voltage driven by volume, meaning that it's only delivering 7Vrms when at maximum volume?

Increasing the output voltage makes the sound louder, that is the purpose of a volume control, which basically implements a variable overall gain. In the case of the Xonar STX, a full scale analog output from the PCM1792 DAC always results in a 20 Vp-p output on the headphone jack (if it is enabled), but the digital signal that is converted by the DAC is attenuated by the gain and volume controls. Here is how it is implemented in the open source ALSA driver:

Code:
 static void update_pcm1796_volume(struct oxygen *chip) { struct xonar_pcm179x *data = chip->model_data; unsigned int i; s8 gain_offset; gain_offset = data->hp_active ? data->hp_gain_offset : 0; for (i = 0; i < data->dacs; ++i) { pcm1796_write_cached(chip, i, 16, chip->dac_volume[i * 2] + gain_offset); pcm1796_write_cached(chip, i, 17, chip->dac_volume[i * 2 + 1] + gain_offset); } }

As it can be seen in the datasheet, registers 16 and 17 are the digital attenuation control that allows for 0 to 120 dB attenuation in 0.5 dB steps. "hp_gain_offset" is 0 dB in the 600 Ω mode, -6 dB in the 300 Ω mode, and -18 dB in the 64 Ω mode.

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #3,808 of 5,721
Quote:

Increasing the output voltage makes the sound louder, that is the purpose of a volume control, which basically implements a variable overall gain. In the case of the Xonar STX, a full scale analog output from the PCM1792 DAC always results in a 20 Vp-p output on the headphone jack (if it is enabled), but the digital signal that is converted by the DAC is attenuated by the gain and volume controls. Here is how it is implemented in the open source ALSA driver:

Code:
 static void update_pcm1796_volume(struct oxygen *chip){ struct xonar_pcm179x *data = chip->model_data; unsigned int i; s8 gain_offset; gain_offset = data->hp_active ? data->hp_gain_offset : 0; for (i = 0; i < data->dacs; ++i) { pcm1796_write_cached(chip, i, 16, chip->dac_volume[i * 2] + gain_offset); pcm1796_write_cached(chip, i, 17, chip->dac_volume[i * 2 + 1] + gain_offset); }}

As it can be seen in the datasheet, registers 16 and 17 are the digital attenuation control that allows for 0 to 120 dB attenuation in 0.5 dB steps. "hp_gain_offset" is 0 dB in the 600 Ω mode, -6 dB in the 300 Ω mode, and -18 dB in the 64 Ω mode.

Makes sense, thanks.

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #3,809 of 5,721
Hi guys,

I recently finished my audiophile/gaming pc build:
  1. 1000W Power Supply: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00596U0YQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
  2. Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OV789U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
  3. 4xCorsair Vengeance 4GB Memory=16GB total RAM: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CRSM4I/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
  4. Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055QYKQO/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01
  5. AMD FX-8120 8-Core Black Edition Processor Socket AM3+: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UBNKZG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i02
  6. GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7950 graphics card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414
  7. AKG K701 cans

So far everything is working wonderfully, and I am loving the sound combo of the K701 and STX together.  The only problem I have encountered is what appears to be random microstuttering of the audio, especially when I listen to music...occasionally when playing games.  For a new build, it is disappointing that I would be having such a problem; however, I am left without a clue of what the cause/solution may be.  Sometimes, I notice the microstuttering occur when using other programs, surfing the web, anything that takes the system out of "idle" (idle + foobar running the music).  Of course, sometimes I can go a good length of time using the computer normally without any stutters in the audio in both idle mode and in usage mode...so for the most part, it appears completely random and unpredictable.  

My guesses so far as to the problem:
  1. Not enough power from the power supply unit? Or I just have crappy/sketchy one in general?
  2. Malfunction with my RAM (even though my system recognizes all 16GB that I installed)?
  3. sound card driver? (I have reinstalled the latest driver multiple times)
  4. sound card itself is defective (hard to believe seeing as how everything works, save for the random microstuttering)
At this point I am pretty stuck, but have a feeling you guys may have a better clue than me, any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back