The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Sep 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #3,691 of 5,721
Edit: stv014 already answered the question.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #3,692 of 5,721
Quote:
 This is untrue though the specs are better on the line out. Specs do not nessessarily convert to good sound. The headphone amp is definately clearer than the line out stock though by direct coupling the lineout the detail is equivolent, sound is better overall after direct coupling.

nope, IME the "speaker" line outs are better. they have better clarity, especially when hauling out the crappy stock opamps. 
Quote:
It's programmed for speakers not headphones though, seems like there could be some undesirable results.

Plus no extra amp, and no Dolby Headphone for games and movies. I haven't played around with Dolby Virtual speaker too much but I don't think it would translate over as well as Dolby Headphone, seeing as it's designed for speakers in front of you not to the right and left of you.

nope. it is programmed to GIVE YOU THE OPTION for special speaker stuff, but just put on HF (Hi-fi) mode or use ASIO and you bypass it all anyway. No undesirable effects.
 Quote:
So would there be anything wrong with getting a cable like this: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347682388&sr=1-1&keywords=headphone+to+rca
?

Would the quality of the headphone out stay intact or would this kind of splitting degrade the quality? Gaming sound is pretty essential to me and it seems like straight RCA would negatively impact it due to the way the STX is programmed.

your double amping, don't.
Quote:
Yes, the headphone out is D.C. coupled and the RCA line out isn't, but that doesn't mean your going to get much better performance out of the HP out. Remember that the "speaker" out on the STX is really just the unamplified line out, which is still the cleaner signal. There is no special "speaker" programing on the STX, unless your talking about the emulated stereo surround settings which are easily disabled.

What exactly did you want to do with the STX again though?

This.

Quote:
I was mostly referring to the emulated surround sound settings yes... very good for games. But I remember on my soundblaster if it wasn't set to headphone mode the sound would jump all over the place in games in a very bad way. That doesn't seem to be the case here but I'll have to test it more.

The slightly increased clarity of the RCA doesn't seem worth losing Dolby Headphone... I mean I can already not hear any noise when I have the volume pumped up to full blast. So I'd like to know if splitting a headphone out line would cause and problems, I wouldn't think so but I'd like to be sure.

For dolby headphone, you haveto use the headphone port, but for music, you can use the line outs to an external amp.

No man, your not going to hook the headphones up directly to the line outs!!! 
And for the last time volume != properly driven. and noise has nothing to do with it, its just adding SNR, basically clarity.

Music
Asus (Line outs) -> external amp -> headphones

Games
Asus(HP out) + Dolby headphone -> headphones

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #3,694 of 5,721
Quote:
So Asus(HP Out) +DH > amp > headphones is a bad idea even with amp set to no gain? I realize line out > amp is better for music but was wondering if this would be good for games.

You've lost me on signal to noise ratio having nothing to do with noise though...

its inaudible noise levels on both the hp and line out. Your just passing a cleaner signal, which is still audible in micro details, and soundstaging. 

if you really feel you want to, then run 2 cables, one for games and one for music, the double amping is really kind of pointless, and can only be detrimental. I just plug my headphones directly into the HP port when I play games, and leave them in external amp via the line outs for movies and music.

I should add I use the cyberlink audio decoder with dolby headphone for movies, it sounds the same as the built in one in the Asus card to my ears... well both are way better then the one in my sony receiver anyway.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #3,696 of 5,721
Quote:
If I take the spdif signal from the card will it work in both Windows and Linux then?

I did not test if it actually works, but S/PDIF should be supported on Linux. There is an "S/PDIF" control in the ALSA mixer that can be muted/unmuted, and the digital output can be accessed as ALSA device "iec958:1,0" (change the card number as needed). Of course, since Dolby technologies are not available, the usefulness of the card is limited when used this way.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #3,697 of 5,721
Hey guys i just got a asus xonar St sound card and was looking to buy a pair of audiophile headphones..im a newbie at this.  was wondering if you guys could help me with what type of headphones to get.  price range around 100-200..maybe 300 if its worth it  i do like some bass as well.  ill be gaming mostly but will also use it for music and movies.  

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #3,698 of 5,721
Quote:
Hey guys I just got a Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card and was looking to buy a pair of audiophile headphones..I'm a newbie at this.  was wondering if you guys could help me with what type of headphones to get.  price range around 100-200..maybe 300 if its worth it  i do like some bass as well.  ill be gaming mostly but will also use it for music and movies.  

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm (closed)
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm (open), a full bass & full treble headphone.
Personally I like using the DT990 more, give a "Movies theater" like sound, for movies.
The vocals are a little overshadowed by the bass & treble, but the vocals are clear.

Install the "Unified Xonar Drivers" at the Brainbit website.
Try the free program Foobar for audio (music)
Classic Media Player at Codecguide for playing any video.

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #3,700 of 5,721
Got these in the mail today:

Been listening for a while but somehow I found the soung to be "in my face"
will listen more and maybe change the opamps in the I/V slot.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #3,702 of 5,721
Thers a guy in India that makes them,he even sells bare PCB´S for them..and they are not so expensive,can´t remember how much right now.
I will P.M you the e-mail adress to anyone that wants it.
Beginning with you Damagelnc77 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #3,703 of 5,721
Also if anybody knows if i should do this..i read for the preferences for foobar that i should turn off both options under replaygain..then add resampler(pphs) to active dsp and configure to 192000 with ultra..then choose your output to your sound card for device and select 24 bit under output..does anybody know if these are the best options for foobar?

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #3,705 of 5,721
Not much difference. Have been A-B compared them alot....
I feel the event style have a slight advantage when it comes to depht in the soundstage. 

It could very well be my mind tricking me...

Sincerely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back