The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jul 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #3,436 of 5,721
Received the 3 LME49990 opamps today installed them and all went well, very happy.
These are Very revealing vs the default ones and also extremely detailed enjoying them listening to Clockwork Angels and Oceania.
Thx guys for the help.

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #3,437 of 5,721
Quote:
Should I just get 1 of the above, or 3 of them and replace all 3 op-amps?

What about for the buffer?

Ignore the buffer if your using the headphone port, only replace the I/V section opamps. 

Make sure they are duals, not single channel. 
In the case of the LME49990 you would need 2x of them soldered to a single board. 
The LME49860 is a better LME49720 but they are still flawed. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #3,438 of 5,721
Hey guys, first post---long time lurker.

I installed my new STX yesterday, and after wrestling with configuration and output options and formats, settled in to auditioning and testing with 320 kbps MP3s and some FLAC, followed by some Battlefield 3 Logitech Z5500 5.1 surround gaming.

Some quick observations:
  1. Although everything was eventually possible, the trial and error / juggling between 2 channel analog out for music, and 6 channel PCM / DD Live digital out for 5.1 sources was a somewhat frustrating process. Thanks to everyone in this thread for contributing their experiences which surely made things easier.
  2. The analog out of the STX is unquestionably better than the PCM /DAC decoding on the Z5500. No surprise there. Punchier, wider soundstage, with better imaging and depth. However, it is a reminder of the limitations of the mediocre drivers in the Z5500s.
  3. The sound from the headphone out (set to low gain <64 ohm) over my DT990 32ohm cans is lively and spacious, but possibly too bright and edgy. Maybe an op-amp upgrade would help?
  4. Managing volume levels and output format between all of the above can be a nail-biting experience. It is not terribly difficult to switch back to headphones having left the volume in the Xonar control panel too high---potentially damaging your gear. Use caution when getting accustomed to the CP.

Can someone suggest an op-amp that may suit my DT990/32 better? Delivering a warmer, less fatiguing tone?

Can anyone comment on gaming with the unified driver as opposed to the ASUS?

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #3,439 of 5,721
Quote:

I installed my new STX yesterday, and after wrestling with configuration and output options and formats, settled in to auditioning and testing with 320 kbps MP3s and some FLAC, followed by some Battlefield 3 Logitech Z5500 5.1 surround gaming.

Some quick observations:
  1. Although everything was eventually possible, the trial and error / juggling between 2 channel analog out for music, and 6 channel PCM / DD Live digital out for 5.1 sources was a somewhat frustrating process. Thanks to everyone in this thread for contributing their experiences which surely made things easier.
  2. The analog out of the STX is unquestionably better than the PCM /DAC decoding on the Z5500. No surprise there. Punchier, wider sound stage, with better imaging and depth. However, it is a reminder of the limitations of the mediocre drivers in the Z5500s.
  3. The sound from the headphone out (set to low gain <64 ohm) over my DT990 32ohm cans is lively and spacious, but possibly too bright and edgy. Maybe an op-amp upgrade would help?
  4. Managing volume levels and output format between all of the above can be a nail-biting experience. It is not terribly difficult to switch back to headphones having left the volume in the Xonar control panel too high---potentially damaging your gear. Use caution when getting accustomed to the CP.

Can someone suggest an op-amp that may suit my DT990/32 better? Delivering a warmer, less fatiguing tone?

I myself have not really seen any negative feedback on the "Unified Xonar Drivers" from Brainbit. I use them myself.
LME49990 ($60) seems to be well liked op-amps for the STX.

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #3,441 of 5,721
Quote:
Ignore the buffer if your using the headphone port, only replace the I/V section opamps. 

Make sure they are duals, not single channel. 
In the case of the LME49990 you would need 2x of them soldered to a single board. 
The LME49860 is a better LME49720 but they are still flawed. 

I'll only be using headphones and a mic, so just 2x for the I/V then correct?

Also do you know if the Zalman ZM-1 clip on mic will connect to the STX or will I need to connect that to the motherboard?

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #3,444 of 5,721
Quote:
I myself have not really seen any negative feedback on the "Unified Xonar Drivers" from Brainbit. I use them myself.
LME49990 ($60) seems to be well liked op-amps for the STX.

Upon reading the datasheet on the LME49990MA from National Semiconductor®/Texas Instruments®, I found that this single op amp is engineered for surface mounting, whereas the STX requires dual op amps (e.g., the LME49720NA and LME49860NA previously mentioned) in a JEDEC 8-pin DIP.  What adapter boards are available, in the event that I decide to test dual LME49990MA's in the Buffer position?

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #3,445 of 5,721
Quote:
Upon reading the datasheet on the LME49990MA from National Semiconductor®/Texas Instruments®, I found that this single op amp is engineered for surface mounting, whereas the STX requires dual op amps (e.g., the LME49720NA and LME49860NA previously mentioned) in a JEDEC 8-pin DIP.  What adapter boards are available, in the event that I decide to test dual LME49990MA's in the Buffer position?

You order the pre-soldered dual LME49990 (SOIC) op-amps per adapter from this guy for $17.99 each, plus $2 for shipping for each.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-SOIC-LME49990-DIP8-ADAPTER-/190682726763?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item2c6593816b

I thought about soldering my own LME49990 adapter(s), ordered all the pieces and equipment (soldering iron, solder)
Would have been cheaper just to spent $60 for 3 pieces (6 op-amps) pre-soldered.
And I never got around to soldering anything cause I could not find a magnifying glass/stand for a reasonable price.
Those SOIC op-amps are small and I have zero soldering experience.

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #3,446 of 5,721
Quote:

Some quick observations:
  2. The analog out of the STX is unquestionably better than the PCM /DAC decoding on the Z5500. No surprise there. Punchier, wider soundstage, with better imaging and depth. However, it is a reminder of the limitations of the mediocre drivers in the Z5500s.

Uni drivers work much better, also with the latest ones ASIO works for me, and with musicbee if you use ASIO it bypasses ALL the system control, even volume and speaker configuration. which means no switching each time, which is really sweet. And the stock opamps are harsh and have bass bloat, the LME49990 are a good choice apparently, they are on my list, another one is the THS4032.

Quote:
I'll only be using headphones and a mic, so just 2x for the I/V then correct?

Also do you know if the Zalman ZM-1 clip on mic will connect to the STX or will I need to connect that to the motherboard?

STX has a mic port :) 
And yes only 2 adapters. 

Quote:
You order the pre-soldered dual LME49990 (SOIC) op-amps per adapter from this guy for $17.99 each, plus $2 for shipping for each.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-SOIC-LME49990-DIP8-ADAPTER-/190682726763?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item2c6593816b

I thought about soldering my own LME49990 adapter(s), ordered all the pieces and equipment (soldering iron, solder)
Would have been cheaper just to spent $60 for 3 pieces (6 op-amps) pre-soldered.
And I never got around to soldering anything cause I could not find a magnifying glass/stand for a reasonable price.
Those SOIC op-amps are small and I have zero soldering experience.

Start with cables first, and adapters :) thats where I started, tricky enough and easy enough. also easy to fix. 

Jul 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #3,447 of 5,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai1gun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The sound from the headphone out (set to low gain <64 ohm) over my DT990 32ohm cans is lively and spacious, but possibly too bright and edgy. Maybe an op-amp upgrade would help?

If you want to reduce the treble, I recommend using equalization, or getting a headphone with less treble (the DT990 is one of the brighter ones) like the HD650. You could also replace the STX with something that has more rolled off treble (e.g. the E17, which also features tone controls), although this is not the best approach to solving the problem. "Upgrading" the op amps will not fix the treble, it is a myth that doing so will change the tonal balance in any useful way.

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #3,448 of 5,721
Quote:

If you want to reduce the treble, I recommend using equalization, or getting a headphone with less treble (the DT990 is one of the brighter ones) like the HD650. You could also replace the STX with something that has more rolled off treble (e.g. the E17, which also features tone controls), although this is not the best approach to solving the problem. "Upgrading" the op amps will not fix the treble, it is a myth that doing so will change the tonal balance in any useful way.

I don't believe the DT990s are the problem, although I agree they are brighter than most in that price range. The headphone amp sound from the STX is what I'd call 'harsh' rather than bright. Although I can't do an A/B test, I remember the sound (headphone output) from my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum being better than the STX---at least not as 'harsh'.  I don't know the first thing about op-amps, but am getting the impression that what comes stock on the STX is of average quality, and most benefit from an upgrade.

Right now, I'm not thrilled with what I'm hearing on my DT990's (which is the main reason I upgraded to the STX), and feel a bit foolish in that the STX is overkill for listening to music on the Z5500's.

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #3,449 of 5,721
Quote:

I don't believe the DT990s are the problem, although I agree they are brighter than most in that price range. The headphone amp sound from the STX is what I'd call 'harsh' rather than bright. Although I can't do an A/B test, I remember the sound (headphone output) from my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum being better than the STX---at least not as 'harsh'.  I don't know the first thing about op-amps, but am getting the impression that what comes stock on the STX is of average quality, and most benefit from an upgrade.

Right now, I'm not thrilled with what I'm hearing on my DT990's (which is the main reason I upgraded to the STX), and feel a bit foolish in that the STX is overkill for listening to music on the Z5500's.

In November 20010 i tried DT990 with Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 with stock opamp and didn't like what I heard cause they sounded too bright, sometimes harsh and Foobar's built-in EQ didn't help so i sold mine. Have no idea if Graphic Equalizer plug-in was available at that time but you can try one now and see if it helps

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #3,450 of 5,721
I've found that by setting the gain setting for the headphone output to medium (64-250), and leaving the playback volume levels in the mixer at the default '76' works MUCH MUCH better on my DT990 32's. I am much more impressed with the SQ now. MUCH more controlled and elegant, but still punchy, lively and defined. Upgrading op-amps seems more optional now, and not so much a requirement. Good.

I had the gain set to low at <64, which made sense to me (32 ohm cans), and had maxed out the Xonar mixer settings (out of habit in the Windows volume CP or any other player software, controlling volume always at the amp) and it was a disaster compared to the revised setting above.

I'll also add that I rolled back to the 3/2011 (1794) Asus drivers, off of the Unified drivers. I was having a problem where switching betwen headphone output and '2 speakers' analog out (to my 5500's) was NOT working. It refused to turn off the headphones, and actually made the headphone output louder when I set the analog out to '2 speakers'. Weird. And scary enough to have me worrying about blowing out my DT990's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back