The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jul 21, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #3,451 of 5,721
Quote:
I've found that by setting the gain setting for the headphone output to medium (64-250), and leaving the playback volume levels in the mixer at the default '76' works MUCH MUCH better on my DT990 32's. I am much more impressed with the SQ now. MUCH more controlled and elegant, but still punchy, lively and defined. Upgrading op-amps seems more optional now, and not so much a requirement. Good.

I had the gain set to low at <64, which made sense to me (32 ohm cans), and had maxed out the Xonar mixer settings (out of habit in the Windows volume CP or any other player software, controlling volume always at the amp) and it was a disaster compared to the revised setting above.

I'll also add that I rolled back to the 3/2011 (1794) Asus drivers, off of the Unified drivers. I was having a problem where switching betwen headphone output and '2 speakers' analog out (to my 5500's) was NOT working. It refused to turn off the headphones, and actually made the headphone output louder when I set the analog out to '2 speakers'. Weird. And scary enough to have me worrying about blowing out my DT990's.

also resample to 48kHz and set windows or ASIO to 24bit output, it will just pad 16bits with extra 0's, so you don't lose fidelity with digital volume control.
44.1kHz/24bit has a bug. 

The extra gain is probably just driving your cans better. 

still say the stock opamps have bass bloat and are harsh. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #3,452 of 5,721
I broke something....

sound was fine, then crackle and no sound in right channel, burning smell. 
opened up changed opamps in IV section. still no sound in right channel. and its not my headphones, they are fine. Thank god.

I may add I was running at about 100% volume on max gain.... I was watching a movie that had low volume level. argfuuuuuuuuu@#$%^

I was using THS4032, swapped for another pair. And I was using my impedance adapter. It chows almost 1W of power last time I did my maths,

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #3,454 of 5,721
Quote:
I've found that by setting the gain setting for the headphone output to medium (64-250), and leaving the playback volume levels in the mixer at the default '76' works MUCH MUCH better on my DT990 32's. I am much more impressed with the SQ now. MUCH more controlled and elegant, but still punchy, lively and defined.

The gain setting only affects the volume (both are digital). However, using higher than the default playback level of 76 in the mixer may enable dynamic compression/limiting in the Windows driver; I did not verify this, but the full scale output can indeed be reached already at 76 and the main volume maxed out.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #3,455 of 5,721
Quote:

The gain setting only affects the volume (both are digital). However, using higher than the default playback level of 76 in the mixer may enable dynamic compression/limiting in the Windows driver; I did not verify this, but the full scale output can indeed be reached already at 76 and the main volume maxed out.

soo what if i put it on max gain at 100% volume? 

Thats 31.5% more volume then from 76%, does it mean 31.5% over the maximum specifications? mama mia.  

Going to try the line out soon, will post back.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #3,456 of 5,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thats 31.5% more volume then from 76%, does it mean 31.5% over the maximum specifications? mama mia.  

I tested it, and the normal maximum output level is indeed reached at the default 76% left/right settings, with "wave" and the master volume at 100%. If the left/right controls are also increased to 100%, that boosts the level by 12 dB (4x gain), but dynamic compression in the C-Media Windows driver will keep the actual output level within the range of the selected output and gain (line: 2.16 Vrms, HP 64Ω: 0.88 Vrms, HP 300Ω: 3.5 Vrms, HP 600Ω: 7 Vrms), and prevent clipping.

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #3,457 of 5,721
Quote:

I tested it, and the normal maximum output level is indeed reached at the default 76% left/right settings, with "wave" and the master volume at 100%. If the left/right controls are also increased to 100%, that boosts the level by 12 dB (4x gain), but dynamic compression in the C-Media Windows driver will keep the actual output level within the range of the selected output and gain (line: 2.16 Vrms, HP 64Ω: 0.88 Vrms, HP 300Ω: 3.5 Vrms, HP 600Ω: 7 Vrms), and prevent clipping.

just to confirm, so then dynamic limiting prevents any possible damage from running over 76%? And this applies at both Line out and HP out?

As for my STX, it was indeed the TI HP amp that blew, the line out is fine. Made me finally set up my speakers. My el cheapo bargain Sansui's are blasting some serious clarity for $130. 

Anyway that will do for now until I reprint the receipt and have it replaced, do love 3 year warranty. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #3,458 of 5,721
Quote:
just to confirm, so then dynamic limiting prevents any possible damage from running over 76%? And this applies at both Line out and HP out?

The limiting works the same way on all outputs. Master=100/Wave=100/Left,Right=76 is already the maximum volume, if Left/Right are also increased to 100, then a digital gain of +12 dB is applied, but the dynamic compression will limit the signal to the normal maximum level.

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #3,459 of 5,721
Quote:

The limiting works the same way on all outputs. Master=100/Wave=100/Left,Right=76 is already the maximum volume, if Left/Right are also increased to 100, then a digital gain of +12 dB is applied, but the dynamic compression will limit the signal to the normal maximum level.

Thanks, even so dynamic compression is undesirable, it can really hamper a build up in a song, unless ofcourse you are after normalisation.

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #3,460 of 5,721
The compression used s a very poor example as recovery of gain is not fast enough in other words it clamps fast but releases slow making the sound very disconserting to listen to. Yes, it accomplishes it's purpose which is to prevent clipping  which reduces the risk of damage to your speakers tweeters but the disconcerting soud also ecourages you to turn it down. The reality is though that all you have to turn down is the balance controls, not the actual volume to return things to normalcy.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #3,461 of 5,721
Quote:
The compression used s a very poor example as recovery of gain is not fast enough in other words it clamps fast but releases slow making the sound very disconserting to listen to. Yes, it accomplishes it's purpose which is to prevent clipping  which reduces the risk of damage to your speakers tweeters but the disconcerting soud also ecourages you to turn it down. The reality is though that all you have to turn down is the balance controls, not the actual volume to return things to normalcy.

I've noticed that applying any boost in the EQ trips this compression as well, and you have to drop the L/R 76 down to compensate. I don't believe I've ever experienced this sort of behavior before with and EQ---at least not to an noticeable extent.

Another question:  Is there a way to tweak the discrete multi-channel output while using DD Live? My rear surrounds seem fairly weak, particularly in 5.1 game audio. So far, DD Live is either 'on' or 'off', and any adjustments (other than EQ) have to be done with the playback decoder / amp. DD Live playback is pretty low in volume in general, especially compared to analog out to the same decoder / amp (Logitech Z5500).

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #3,462 of 5,721
 I checked many guides and opinions by now but am unable to find the exact info which I need.

Now, I got myself the ATH A700 and a xonar DX. I wasnt too happy with the A700 though, the pleather and over- size ruined it for me, the sound was great though.

I am now planning on ordering a DT880 premium 250 ohm from Amazon, after returning the A700.
I red that the Xonar DX wont have enough juice to drive the DT880 well enough so Im looking at alternatives in form of other sound cards.

Took a look at the Xonar ST on amazon but there are so many of them for different prices, I am very uncertain which one actually would be the right one for driving 250 ohm  with doby 5.1 and pci-e ? There are some for 130 pounds and other up to 270, Im quite confused here. Would the STX 2 channel make sense ?

Here my search results :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=xonar+st&x=0&y=0
ir
ir

Would be amazing if someone could clear this up for me and point me to the right pick !

Jul 25, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #3,463 of 5,721
Quote:
Would the STX 2 channel make sense ?

Yes. You obviously do not need multichannel outputs (Xonar ST + H6) for driving headphones. You may also just keep the Xonar DX and get an amplifier, for example the EHP-O2 for £99.99 + shipping. If you do not need high volume and do not listen to music with a wide dynamic range like classical, then even the Xonar DX alone could be OK (I tried this combination), other than having too high output impedance.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #3,464 of 5,721
So, what exactly does the " Channel version "do" ?

I have no clue about the advantages of 2 Channels towards headphones and games and music.

Also, ik returned the Dx already, I really want to buy the STX or ST but just am having trouble in finding the right one for my needs.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #3,465 of 5,721
Quote:
So, what exactly does the " Channel version "do" ?

I have no clue about the advantages of 2 Channels towards headphones and games and music.

Also, ik returned the DX already, I really want to buy the STX or ST but just am having trouble in finding the right one for my needs.

The 2 channel is the analog speaker output on the Essence ST (& STX) sound card.
But the Essence can provide Dolby Headphone surround sound, from a 7.1 (8-channel) source.
like 7.1 gaming surround sound, or a Blu-ray movie with 7.1 channels of audio.
The Essence ST(X) can also output 5.1, thru the S/PDIF optical/coaxial output of the Essence.

I would say between the ST & STX, get whatever is cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back