The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jul 16, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #3,421 of 5,721
Quote:
I just purchased 3 of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/190682726763?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1089wt_922
am assuming I don't need anything other than poping out the default opamps and poping these in correct?

Bought the correct op-amps from a well liked seller.
Find someway to ground yourself before removing the STX, like stay off carpets and touch your computer case for a few seconds.
So you need a small Philipshead screwdriver to remove the 4 screws holding the plate on.
And a really small flathead screwdriver to slowly and carefully pop out the 3 stock op-amps.
When you first stall the LME49990 adapter (slowly) make sure a pins are in their holes.
Once they are mostly down and your sure no pins are bent, you can push a little hard to make sure they are down all the way.
Chances are they will only be a few millimetter from the cover (shielding plate), after the cover is put back on.
Then enjoy.

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #3,422 of 5,721
Quote:
I just purchased 3 of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/190682726763?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1089wt_922
am assuming I don't need anything other than poping out the default opamps and poping these in correct?

jip, and line them up correctly (the half moon on the pcb must match the direction the half moon on the stock chips faces)

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #3,423 of 5,721
Thx can't wait to hear what these sound like it will be first time I change the sound on this card.

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #3,425 of 5,721
Quote:
Does the Xonar have the "juice" to run the  http://www.partsconnexion.com/t/Index/burson.php  ?

I'm not sure which burson that is, but the first gen burson opamps were made by AudioGD, it was their Earth OPA, and that it can. But they new stuff needs more power, someone has done it. search for the FrankenSTX and it will popup on the OCN forums somewhere, maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can help you

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #3,426 of 5,721
I have seen people use the Bursons on the STX cards but I have not personally did the testing myself.  I have tried the Audio-GD line up of discrete opamps on the STX and the card has enough power to run them.

Hope that helps.

A note on opamp installation, the chips and sockets are both marked to denote Pin 1, if you accidentally install the backwards and apply power they will fry and are garbage after that.  So, make sure 100% that you have the right orientation before you apply power.

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #3,428 of 5,721
IIRC, all the AudioGD opamps work in both I/V and buffer positions BUT the Moon opamp does NOT work in the I/V.  It has been along time since I tested those, so if you are considering using those opamps, let me know and I will verify which position it works in.

These opamps provide a much more "analog" sound if you find the ST/STX a bit edgy given whatever headphones or speakers you are using.  Quite a few people discussed and used them when the card first came out but it was only discussed in PM never in the open forums.
Overall the results were excellent.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #3,429 of 5,721
Quote:
IIRC, all the AudioGD opamps work in both I/V and buffer positions BUT the Moon opamp does NOT work in the I/V.  It has been along time since I tested those, so if you are considering using those opamps, let me know and I will verify which position it works in.

These opamps provide a much more "analog" sound if you find the ST/STX a bit edgy given whatever headphones or speakers you are using.  Quite a few people discussed and used them when the card first came out but it was only discussed in PM never in the open forums.
Overall the results were excellent.

I currently have LME49860 and i really enjoying my D7000 with them but still thinking upgrading to something newer is worth and since LME49990 are so expensive so i'm thinking that Audio-GD opamps should bring more value for themoney so my question is which of the three opamps will give me neutral natural lifelike sound with deep bass classical and jazz demands. I know i will need 2 dual opamps for I/V section. Which one is better to put into buffer sections if i decide to add tube or hybrid amp connected to RCA out?

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #3,430 of 5,721
Quote:
A note on opamp installation, the chips and sockets are both marked to denote Pin 1, if you accidentally install the backwards and apply power they will fry and are garbage after that.  So, make sure 100% that you have the right orientation before you apply power.

Lies, I have a couple of times applied power the wrong way to some of my OPA827 (atleast I think it was those) and they still work fine. :p but it was for less then a minute on each occasion. 

Not that I would say its ok to do it.

from what I know of the LME49860 its actually a flawed chip, the LME49990 is not, also consider the THS4032, I have had good success with them. 

But the best you can do for the denons is just put in neutral opamps AND BUILD AN IMPEDANCE ADAPTER! it makes a much more significant difference to the bass response and overall clarity then any opamp. (If you are powering it from the STX.) And I mean Faux impedance decreasing adapter. check in my sig.

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #3,431 of 5,721
Been reading through the thread and I can't make a decision, can anybody give a good starting recommendation for I/V and Buffer on the STX?

I use the ATH-M50s. I want some good bass, sound stage, positioning, overall maybe just a good balance of everything.

Thanks guys.

Preferably in DIP8 format and not too expensive, I noticed that something like the LME49990 costs $18 on ebay for a pair of 2.

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #3,432 of 5,721
Quote:
Been reading through the thread and I can't make a decision, can anybody give a good starting recommendation for I/V and Buffer on the STX?

I use the ATH-M50s. I want some good bass, sound stage, positioning, overall maybe just a good balance of everything.

Thanks guys.

Preferably in DIP8 format and not too expensive, I noticed that something like the LME49990 costs $18 on ebay for a pair of 2.

Try:
THS4032 (have tried, good all rounder)
LME49990, OPA1612, AD8599 (havent tried)

Avoid:
LT1057, OPA827, 2xLME49710HA (have tried, don't bother)
AD797(sounds amazing, a bit much in the treble, and unstable, so will probably kick the bucket after a year or so.)

I have tried most of the favourites

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #3,433 of 5,721
Quote:

Thanks guys.

LME49720NA (DIP-8) or LME49860NA (DIP-8)
Try asking in "The op-amp thread"

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #3,434 of 5,721
Quote:
Try:
THS4032 (have tried, good all rounder)
LME49990, OPA1612, AD8599 (havent tried)

Avoid:
LT1057, OPA827, 2xLME49710HA (have tried, don't bother)
AD797(sounds amazing, a bit much in the treble, and unstable, so will probably kick the bucket after a year or so.)

I have tried most of the favourites

Thank you for the recommendations and what to avoid :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back