The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
May 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #3,241 of 5,721
Quote:
Yes but I have only placed them in the I/V, I have yet to experiment with the buffer. so only 2 adapters are needed. I think a third may be too much, SimmoW if you want i can feed the line out to my Onkyo and and plug my AKGs in there and give it a bash with my other opamps?

as PurpleAngel suggested, or from Hifiic

Hey thanks for the offer, why not, give it a go, experimentation's fun. I'll try the harsh clear stuff first, then seek everyone's opinion as to the next stage.

Are these the right ones to go for?  his listings are confusing to me, I can't see any reference to the asus, so they must be generic components. Sheesh, I'm in your hands! I'll get 3 in case. then I'll need a diagram to be sure which ones to swap. Or it's brick city for me!

Thanks again, what a helpful group of chaps you are. All the high-end $$$$ coy's should pay you in-kind to keep you off the forums 
atsmile.gif

May 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #3,242 of 5,721
Quote:
Hey thanks for the offer, why not, give it a go, experimentation's fun. I'll try the harsh clear stuff first, then seek everyone's opinion as to the next stage.
Are these the right ones to go for?  his listings are confusing to me, I can't see any reference to the asus, so they must be generic components. Sheesh, I'm in your hands! I'll get 3 in case. then I'll need a diagram to be sure which ones to swap. Or it's brick city for me!
Thanks again, what a helpful group of chaps you are. All the high-end $$$$ coy's should pay you in-kind to keep you off the forums 
atsmile.gif

Close, the ones you have listed are one AD797 SOIC o-amp per adapter. but you did get the correct seller
You want the ones with two AD797BR op-amps per SOIC to DIP-8 adapter.
Usually they have pictures showing one op-amp soldered on top and one picture with the other op-amp soldered to the bottom, opposite sides of the PCB.
I had order ten of the dual (AD797BR) op-amp adapters and only used 3 so far, so seven left over, I guess I could sell 3 for $30 + shipping.
I have not gotten around for testing the 7 unused ones yet.

May 16, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #3,243 of 5,721
I have been using the ST and following this thread for about an year or so.

This sound card would have been utterly perfect if it had OPTICAL INPUT. I would simply love to plug my xbox directly into it.

May 16, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #3,244 of 5,721
Quote:
Close, the ones you have listed are one AD797 SOIC o-amp per adapter. but you did get the correct seller
You want the ones with two AD797BR op-amps per SOIC to DIP-8 adapter.
Usually they have pictures showing one op-amp soldered on top and one picture with the other op-amp soldered to the bottom, opposite sides of the PCB.
I had order ten of the dual (AD797BR) op-amp adapters and only used 3 so far, so seven left over, I guess I could sell 3 for $30 + shipping.
I have not gotten around for testing the 7 unused ones yet.

he is correct, close but no cigar.

Quote:

atsmile.gif

They are generic components, all opamps are, the odds that they will list the STX is very small. thats why you you should ask here or in the opamp thread, because the ones that meet voltage spec would already have been picked and used somewhere.

May 16, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #3,245 of 5,721
Quote:
Hey, just thought I'd let you know, I tried playing a brand new 2L Bluray (just google 2L, norwegian...) on my reasonably decent system (although only with my vintage original PS3, not sure of its DAC quality!). The speakers are very special to me, Miller and Kreisel surround setup, a brilliant system, sheesh the in-ceiling speakers cost me $800 EACH 12 yrs ago! The 

I played the bluray through both DTS 5.1 and stereo versions. 5.1 is pretty special, all that amazing quality coming out individually from each speaker.

Yet I was still disappointed compared to my first listen to other less HD tracks on the pc with the Grados. No intense attack, a certain flatness to the music. So I tried listening via the headphones. A little better, but not awe inspiring as you'd expect of such an amazing recording   - see here, these guys are OBSESSED with high res..

So I tried playing it on the pc. Ah, that's more like it, airy strings, real emotion and the character of the instruments coming out. You know, that hairs on the back of your neck tingly feeling. Hahahaha, either I need to get a decent Bluray and DAC (hmm, the opa-95, come to papa?), or just keep on listening on my pc. That'll have to do me for now, until that classic gets much cheaper. 

Any one know, is the ps3 really that bad with music? 

If its possible I would like to see your listening room, the others can point out why 5.1 may not be so well played in your room.

May 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #3,246 of 5,721
It's,not the room or setup, I know. It's clearly the input into the receiver. Sound via headphones is nowhere as good as on the pc. The install was done by a real pro, we were smart and had it all pre wired at frame stage!

If anyone has done some comparos of a ps3 versus dedicated dac I'd he interested in the results- ill google too. Actually, I bet it's the 12 yo dac in the receiver, as I feed it via optical. What I rooly need to do is feed each of the 5.1 channels sweet dac inputs. One day..

Really, the difference when using headphones is huge. If I get some spare time, I should move the whole pc into the lounge and connect the stereo RCA outputs to the amp.

May 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #3,247 of 5,721
Quote:
It's,not the room or setup, I know. It's clearly the input into the receiver. Sound via headphones is nowhere as good as on the pc. The install was done by a real pro, we were smart and had it all pre wired at frame stage!
If anyone has done some comparos of a ps3 versus dedicated dac I'd he interested in the results- ill google too. Actually, I bet it's the 12 yo dac in the receiver, as I feed it via optical. What I rooly need to do is feed each of the 5.1 channels sweet dac inputs. One day..
Really, the difference when using headphones is huge. If I get some spare time, I should move the whole pc into the lounge and connect the stereo RCA outputs to the amp.

you should, you really really really should

May 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #3,248 of 5,721
Quote:
Yes but I have only placed them in the I/V, I have yet to experiment with the buffer. so only 2 adapters are needed. I think a third may be too much, SimmoW if you want i can feed the line out to my Onkyo and and plug my AKGs in there and give it a bash with my other opamps?

as PurpleAngel suggested, or from Hifiic

Hey thanks, I've just ordered these from Hifiic, good price. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220818191851?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1984wt_711

May 20, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #3,249 of 5,721
Hi,
I am considering buying that sound card but I would like to know if it would be the best solution for me.
I have a NAD C316 and some Focal Speakers and a Alessandro MS-2. Which opamp should I use?
How good is it compared to a USB Dac of the same price?

May 20, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #3,250 of 5,721
Quote:
Hi,
I am considering buying that sound card but I would like to know if it would be the best solution for me.
I have a NAD C316 and some Focal Speakers and a Alessandro MS-2. Which opamp should I use?

Yes it would be a good solution to everyone who wants to greatly improve the sound quality of their PC based sound
 system.  How good is it compared to USB DAC of the same price? Well, let me put it this way, Cambridge Audio DacMagic or Musical Fidelity M1DAC are no better, and even inferior in some ways, and they are both 500-800$.

May 21, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #3,251 of 5,721
Quote:
Hi,

dirbigpr is right.

As for opamps, thats trickier then you would expect. for absolute clarity, AD797 in I/V, and then play with the buffer until it rounds out the sound the way you like it, because the AD797 is the best in terms of clarity, but its also harsh, and can be cold. A good start for a buffer would be 2xLME49710HA to dip8. But I use the headphone jack, so I haven't played with the buffer much, your kind of on your own, or going to haveto wait for another response

May 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #3,253 of 5,721
Hello guys.
I'm using Xonar ST with my Altec's Speaker and AKG Q701. It sounds good for me with the speaker but not with Q701. The Q701 really lags the bass, feels light as feather. Can anyone please recomend me the best combination of OPAMP that would give my Q701 the punch of bass.

At first i was about to purchase an Amp such as Matrix M-Stage, due to my curiosity that whether other opamp would give my Q701 enough juice or not. However, if I have to switch the cable at the back of my case whenever I want to use speaker or headphone, it would be a pain for me. Is there any amp that can plug in both speaker and headphone, then allow me to select which gear i want to use through some kind of switch at the amp.

PS. I appologize for any weird grammar, not a native speaker of English though.

May 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #3,254 of 5,721
May 22, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #3,255 of 5,721
Quote:
Hello guys.
I'm using Xonar ST with my Altec's Speaker and AKG Q701. It sounds good for me with the speaker but not with Q701. The Q701 really lags the bass, feels light as feather. Can anyone please recomend me the best combination of OPAMP that would give my Q701 the punch of bass.
At first i was about to purchase an Amp such as Matrix M-Stage, due to my curiosity that whether other opamp would give my Q701 enough juice or not. However, if I have to switch the cable at the back of my case whenever I want to use speaker or headphone, it would be a pain for me. Is there any amp that can plug in both speaker and headphone, then allow me to select which which gear i want to use through some kind of switch at the amp.
PS. I appologize for any weird grammar, not a native speaker of English though.

the stock I/V opamps the JRC2114 is already bass heavy, the AKG Q701 is bass light, so yeah sorry your screwed.

No amp will fix it. Try using an equalizer like Electri-Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Back