The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
May 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #3,271 of 5,721
May 24, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #3,272 of 5,721
Quote:

I doubt the jitter on the STX is audible anyway, in the Stereophile test all jitter products are below -120 dB. I do not know if the ST fixes the 44.1/88.2/176.4 kHz noise problem, though. Of course, only the ST supports the use of the Xonar H6 for multichannel output.

Very true.  When I chose the STX for my CM1630-06, I was facing an airflow problem that contraindicated the ST:  The integrated fan on the EAH6850DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2 would have been blocked by a PCI 2.2 card in the end slot of the mobo, as all DirectCU® models draw air from alongside the card, rather than on the end as do most AMD® Radeon HD reference video cards past the HD 4870.  Were I using the squirrel-cage EAH6870/2DIS/1GD5 rather than a DirectCU® model, airflow blockage would not have been an issue.

May 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #3,274 of 5,721
Quote:
Has anyone ever tried OPA627AU's?

They are widely known as one of the best OP AMPS, expensive yes. 

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/opamp_627au.php#note

Also, is there really enough clearance on the ST/STX for you to put a OP AMP on a adapter with the shield on?

Seems to me like it wouldn't fit.

I use three of these AD797BR's with my Essence STX, I'm sure they are only a few millimeters from the shield plate.(image missing)

May 28, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #3,277 of 5,721
Question about the audio quality of the stock STX. How does it compare to independent USB DACs?

I'm currently using the Xonar DX right now but I've been looking to upgrade. As for audio devices I have the Swan M10 (thinking about getting the M200 Mk III if I can sell the M10) and an AD700 and FX700.

May 28, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #3,278 of 5,721
Quote:
Question about the audio quality of the stock STX. How does it compare to independent USB DACs?
I'm currently using the Xonar DX right now but I've been looking to upgrade. As for audio devices I have the Swan M10 (thinking about getting the M200 Mk III if I can sell the M10) and an AD700 and FX700.

The Essence STX (& ST) come with a good DAC, the PCM1792A and drives up to 600-Ohm headphone, as I've replaced my op-amps twice so far, can't remember what it sounds like stock.
For around $75 you could get a USB DAC to match the STX's DAC for maybe $75, sold off eBay, ships from China.
The Asus Xonar DX is a fairly good sound card (and DAC), it uses the same audio processor as the STX, the DX is just not that good at driving headphones, get a nice external headphone amplifier, maybe the Objective 2 or Little Dot 1+ Hybrid.
The Fiio E9 amplifier uses the same audio amplifier chip as the STX.
There are some fairly decent single tune headphone amplifiers, sold on eBay, prices start at $60, good ones start at $80.

May 28, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #3,279 of 5,721
For my headphones I use the Xonar DX's Dolby Headphone, would the emulate surround sound translate well through the amp? Honestly, I don't think my AD700s need an amp maybe when/if I upgrade.

As for the quality of the DAC, for a near $200 sound card that sounds highly disappointing. Would it be better if I simply got an independent DAC between my Xonar DX and the speakers?

May 28, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #3,281 of 5,721
Quote:
For my headphones I use the Xonar DX's Dolby Headphone, would the emulate surround sound translate well through the amp? Honestly, I don't think my AD700s need an amp maybe when/if I upgrade.

You can use the AD700 with the Xonar DX only and no amplifier, it would allow for reasonably high volume without clipping. However, the rather high 100 Ohm output impedance of the card would affect the sound quality somewhat. It adds some (~1 dB) boost to the mid-bass - not necessarily a bad thing with the lean sounding AD700, but the quality of the bass will not be improved - and increase the distortion of the drivers due to the lack of electrical damping. Overall it would not be bad without an amplifier, but there would be some audible difference.

Quote:
For my headphones I use the Xonar DX's Dolby Headphone, would the emulate surround sound translate well through the amp?

Yes, you can use Dolby Headphone with an amplifier. Just keep the output setting at "headphones", the output jack is still a line out only anyway.

Quote:
As for the quality of the DAC, for a near $200 sound card that sounds highly disappointing.

Well, it is not actually proven that low cost DIY DACs from eBay really match the performance of the STX. But if anything, the fact that even those may sound "good enough" despite probably measuring worse, suggests that investing heavily in DACs is not the best way to improve overall sound quality.

Quote:
Would it be better if I simply got an independent DAC between my Xonar DX and the speakers?

If you do not hear interference noise from the Xonar DX, then you are much more likely to get better sound by upgrading the headphones/speakers, and/or getting a reasonably good headphone amplifier if you do not already have one.

May 28, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #3,282 of 5,721
Quote:
If I don't drive my headphones directly off the soundcard, is there any reason to spend the extra money on an ST or STX over a DX?

I would not get them for the DAC alone, but maybe the EMI shielding is useful in some machines (it is not really in mine).

May 28, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #3,283 of 5,721
As I have said before.

Garbage in Garbage out. A good source is vital. But compared to Headphones and amps, a DAC hits the law of diminishing returns early. The Xonars are a notable exception, they are very good value. The ST/STX being the best DAC you can buy without paying easily 3x the price. So for longevity, its a bargain. BUT and here is the BIG but, the ST/STXs DAC is not neutral, its coloured, and I for one am not a fan of the stock opamps. The AD797 will give you best clarity and neutrality, then leave it up to the Amps to do the colouration.

And output impedance is important IMO, but it is worth to note that some headphones prefer a high output impedance. Denons for one don't.

If you want want a processor, and DAC, and decent HP amp, all in one, then its a bargain, and you can tweak the sound to your preferences with opamps.

May 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #3,285 of 5,721
Quote:
As for the quality of the DAC, for a near $200 sound card that sounds highly disappointing. Would it be better if I simply got an independent DAC between my Xonar DX and the speakers?

If you hooked up an external headphone amplifier to the green 3.5mm (1/8" mini-jack), you could still use the 7.1 Dolby Virtual Headphone.
Personally I would replace the ATH-AD700 with headphones that have more bass.
You really in general do not need an amplifier for then ATH-AD700, but the Xonar DX is just not that great for driving any headphones.
The price I quoted ($75) was a for a no-name DAC made in China, I'm sure a name brand would cost $150.
The STX also comes with a dedicated headphone amplifier, Dolby Digital 7.1, replaceable op-amps, which is a lot more features then a ($75) no-name DAC comes with.
For around $60 you could add a no-name DAC with digital optical input, for using with speakers, but I doubt you would hear any noticable improvement in the (2.0 or 2.1) speaker sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back