The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Mar 27, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #3,106 of 5,721
Quote:
Listening to Another Brick in the Wall (FLAC), using the AKG K242HDs, does sound nice, the AKG K242HD have a nice mid range.
Will do more testing in the morning, when I'm more awake.

So far with mine male vocals are a bit recessed, but then again when i got them the entire midrange was laid back, so that could still change.

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #3,107 of 5,721
Which adapter do I need for 2x LME49990MA?
1)http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-SOP8-SO8-SOIC8-SOT-to-DIP8-adapter-PCB-convertor-/320824918111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab2a7c05f
or
2)http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Dual-SOIC-to-DIP-8-Convert-PCB-Adapter-SMD-OPA627-/320824421618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab2a02cf2

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #3,108 of 5,721

Quote:
Which adapter do I need for 2x LME49990MA?
1)http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-SOP8-SO8-SOIC8-SOT-to-DIP8-adapter-PCB-convertor-/320824918111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab2a7c05f
or
2)http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Dual-SOIC-to-DIP-8-Convert-PCB-Adapter-SMD-OPA627-/320824421618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab2a02cf2

I believe they are both have the same function, but use slightly different PCB designs and they just each use different ways marking the same thing.
I do like they way the first ones are marked (bolder white) better then the second.
The first ones just uses a small white dot to show where pin #1 is.
The second one shows were pins 1,4,5,8 are.
But I'm far from an expert on these.

Personally, I would buy the pre-soldered adapters for $18.50 each, off eBay.
Those things are tiny (the LME49990 op-amp itself).
Currently I have 10 LME49990MA op-amps for making 5 adapters and have spent $54 for all parts
and I'm still having problem finding (and buying) a decent work stand to hold them for soldering.

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #3,109 of 5,721
As I understand the first one is single adapter (one sided but 2 in quantity), so they are not go. Second are dual adapters (two sided also 2 in quantity). I'm not going to solder myself, it will be done by electrotechnics store:)

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #3,110 of 5,721

Quote:
As I understand the first one is single adapter (one sided but 2 in quantity), so they are not go. Second are dual adapters (two sided also 2 in quantity). I'm not going to solder myself, it will be done by electrotechnics store:)

I can see that now, they used "2x" in both listing, adds to confusion.
Better if the first listing said "2 pieces, single sided".
I had ordered 10 pieces of dual sided adapters that look the same as those single sided ones in the first ad.

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #3,111 of 5,721
I just installed the stx into my rig and WOW, I can hear such a HUGE night and day difference in sound quality as compared to the onboard audio on my asus maximus 4 extreme-z motherboard.
What an awesome product! Really glad I got it.
Still using the default op amps and it seems to work pretty well for me as I'm comfortable with its sound signature.
Might order the other recommended op amps soon to try.

All in all, a pretty amazing piece of equipment!

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #3,112 of 5,721
Hey guys I'm kind of having trouble with my Essence ST, I'm trying to set up the RCA output but I'm not getting any sound, my setup is like this, Essence ST > RCA to RCA > M-Stage Amp > HD 650. I've got it set as 2 speakers in the xonar audio center, that is what you have to choose for RCA right? Is there any more settings I should do?

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #3,113 of 5,721

Quote:
Hey guys I'm kind of having trouble with my Essence ST, I'm trying to set up the RCA output but I'm not getting any sound, my setup is like this, Essence ST > RCA to RCA > M-Stage Amp > HD 650. I've got it set as 2 speakers in the Xonar audio center, that is what you have to choose for RCA right? Is there any more settings I should do?

When I bought my used Essence STX, I got zero sound out of it, turned out to be one of the three op-amps (the buffer op-amp) was not seated all the way.
Just had to remove the shield cover and press down on the op-amp to get it full seated.

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #3,114 of 5,721
Thanks for the reply, does it make any difference that the headphone jack works ok? Or would it still need seating? I've been using that aswell as its in-built amp for the time being until I get the M-Stage working. I'll give it a try tomorrow anyway.

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #3,115 of 5,721

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, does it make any difference that the headphone jack works ok? Or would it still need seating? I've been using that as well as its in-built amp for the time being until I get the M-Stage working. I'll give it a try tomorrow anyway.

The Essence ST (& STX) comes with three op-amps, two are called "I/V" which are used for the headphones, the third one is called "buffer" is used for the RCA outputs.

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #3,116 of 5,721
Hey I opened it up and it looked like nothing needed seating, I installed it back in and it suddenly worked? Not sure what happened, thanks for the help anyways.
Wow big difference in amps, sounds great.
Question would it be worth it getting a better 0.5m RCA-to-RCA cable working between my m-stage and essence st? Would I notice a difference?

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #3,117 of 5,721
Quote:
Hey I opened it up and it looked like nothing needed seating, I installed it back in and it suddenly worked? Not sure what happened, thanks for the help anyways.
Question would it be worth it getting a better 0.5m RCA-to-RCA cable working between my m-stage and essence st? Would I notice a difference?

I would say no, if its a decent cable (I am talking $20-$30, like QED performance audio) then i dont see a need to go more then that.

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #3,118 of 5,721

Quote:

Monoprice sells thicker (better shielded) RCA cables for a low price.
Would it make the sound better????
At least it would give you piece of mind.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #3,119 of 5,721
Hey guys,

is the headphone output of the STX valid or ok to connect to an amp? I only ask because I would like to keep Dolby Headphone if I game. I would leave the output ungained at 100 instead of switching over to the cinch output.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #3,120 of 5,721

Quote:
Is the headphone output of the STX valid or ok to connect to an amp? I only ask because I would like to keep Dolby Headphone if I game. I would leave the output ungained at 100 instead of switching over to the cinch output.

Why do you even need to hook up an external headphone amplifier to the headphone output of the STX?
STX should be able to drive any mainstream headphone on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back