The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Apr 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #3,136 of 5,721
Apr 8, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #3,137 of 5,721

Quote:

You got it.
I've heard good feedback on Frugalphile,

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #3,139 of 5,721
I'm currently using 2x LM6172.

I feel that they synergize very well with my JH13 and sound better than the stock opamps. There's also considerably less hiss with this opamp than the stocks.

Overall, I would say that the LM6172 are neutral sounding overall bit are a little bit bright. Bass extension is excellent.

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #3,140 of 5,721

Quote:
I'm currently using 2x LM6172.

I feel that they synergize very well with my JH13 and sound better than the stock opamps. There's also considerably less hiss with this opamp than the stocks.

Overall, I would say that the LM6172 are neutral sounding overall bit are a little bit bright. Bass extension is excellent.

The National Semiconductor LN6172IN is the very type I'm considering sending in for the JRC2114D's on my STX's I-V section, based on an experiment with a Marantz CD57 documented at TNT Audio prior to encountering the post quoted. :) Thanks for confirming one of my component selections.

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #3,142 of 5,721

Quote:
Can the ST/STX send over Dolby Headphone through spdif and will it play properly through any ol' DAC?

Nope, the ST/STX can only send Dolby Headphone thru the headphone jack.
The Titanium HD is more what your looking for.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #3,143 of 5,721

Quote:
Can the ST/STX send over Dolby Headphone through spdif and will it play properly through any ol' DAC?

The Asus® XONAR® is equipped to send either straight stereo PCM (which I use for transmission monitoring for my online activities) or Dolby® Digital Live through the rear digital-out connector, coaxial (RCA) or TOSLink optical (3.5mm).  Creative Laboratories® may have an edge on what the SB0860 X-Fi Titanium, SB1270 Titanium HD, and SB1354/SB1356 Recon3D Fatal1ty can run through the rear TOSlink optical out, which I cannot confirm at this time for lack of product.  Any DAC should be able to run a PCM input.

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #3,144 of 5,721
I'm currently ordering another LME49860 to go for 3XLME49860 configuration, wondering if anyone has a quick recommendation of these 3 chips, for HD800 on classical.

Thanks!

P.S: I'm be buying the chip today so if there are other recommendations I can get them along this purchase. :) Cheers.
P.S.S: Not into discrete op-amps yet :)

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #3,145 of 5,721

Quote:
I'm currently ordering another LME49860 to go for 3XLME49860 configuration, wondering if anyone has a quick recommendation of these 3 chips, for HD800 on classical.
Thanks!
P.S: I'm be buying the chip today so if there are other recommendations I can get them along this purchase. :) Cheers.
P.S.S: Not into discrete op-amps yet :)

I use to use three LME49860NA, great price, no complaints.
It's the exact same as the LME49720NA, but with a better voltage range.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #3,146 of 5,721

Quote:

What?

My ST definitely sends a Dolby Headphone signal over coax PCM when I toggle it on. The SPDIF dropdown menu only has the PCM and Dolby Digital Live options, but the Dolby Headphone checkbox still works on PCM - and definitely affects the PCM signal on my card.

I am running PC 360s off the ST's headphone jack, and have the coax output connected to a Audio-GD Sparrow stereo dac/amp that I use to plug in HD650s and Grados. The Dolby Headphone checkbox affects both the PC 360s (off the jack) and the HD 650s (off coax/ Sparrow) the same, from what I can tell.

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #3,147 of 5,721

Quote:
Quote:

My ST definitely sends a Dolby Headphone signal over coax PCM when I toggle it on. The SPDIF dropdown menu only has the PCM and Dolby Digital Live options, but the Dolby Headphone checkbox still works on PCM - and definitely affects the PCM signal on my card.

I am running PC 360s off the ST's headphone jack, and have the coax output connected to a Audio-GD Sparrow stereo dac/amp that I use to plug in HD650s and Grados. The Dolby Headphone checkbox affects both the PC 360s (off the jack) and the HD 650s (off coax/ Sparrow) the same, from what I can tell.

Something I have to look in.
Guess I'll need a external S/PDIF DAC.

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #3,148 of 5,721
Quote:
Something I have to look in.
Guess I'll need a external S/PDIF DAC.

I never tested but I think with the current driver version - in comparison to some of the older ones, it is possible yes, because I managed to switch to spdif and turn on Dolby Headphone without a problem, but I havent tested the results.

I have the uni drivers, but this was in the Asus software not the cmedia.

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #3,149 of 5,721
Have finally tried the ST as a digital only source and it's very good.  I have an STX just in and will try it next to see what it sounds like.  Of all usb, sound cards, standalone cdps, etc. I honestly have a difficult time hearing the differences.  They are there, but it's more or less like op amp rolling between two op amps from the same family where one may sound a pinch more like this or that, but it's only a "house" type of thing rather than a, "wow this has really changed my system transparency" type of a deal.

I'm curious what power supplies people are using and if you can hear audible differences between them that are enough to warrant the purchase of any specific one in particular?  I know a while back in a Xonar ST/STX thread, there was a person that tested 20 different supplies and the Corsair 400 was clearly the best.

Other question I have is how much power do I need in a power supply that has an ATI 3850 graphics card, ssd, plenty of ram, and not much all programs wise=zero games, pretty much zero anything as I always store anything off my main SSD drive and onto an external.  I have two systems, one with an I5-2400 cpu, one with an AMD X3 Rana cpu.

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #3,150 of 5,721

Quote:
Have finally tried the ST as a digital only source and it's very good.  I have an STX just in and will try it next to see what it sounds like.  Of all usb, sound cards, standalone cdps, etc. I honestly have a difficult time hearing the differences.  They are there, but it's more or less like op amp rolling between two op amps from the same family where one may sound a pinch more like this or that, but it's only a "house" type of thing rather than a, "wow this has really changed my system transparency" type of a deal.

I'm curious what power supplies people are using and if you can hear audible differences between them that are enough to warrant the purchase of any specific one in particular?  I know a while back in a Xonar ST/STX thread, there was a person that tested 20 different supplies and the Corsair 400 was clearly the best.

Other question I have is how much power do I need in a power supply that has an ATI 3850 graphics card, ssd, plenty of ram, and not much all programs wise=zero games, pretty much zero anything as I always store anything off my main SSD drive and onto an external.  I have two systems, one with an I5-2400 cpu, one with an AMD X3 Rana cpu.

I would assume a quality 600 watt would do the job, maybe even a 500 watt, but just safer to get the 600 watt.
Sometimes a good 750 watt will go on sale somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back