The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Nov 4, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #2,716 of 5,721
I'm currently have 3xLME49720NA, and those sound really great for what i paid for. In my opinion these combo really beats stock op'amps section of Essence ST card. Bass more detailed and punchier than stock, and really wide soundstage with overall clean and smooth sound. Using them with MF V-CAN amplifier and Sennheiser HD650.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #2,717 of 5,721

Quote:
well, technically, the LME49860NA is quite the same like the 49720NA, the only difference is that the -860NA covers +/- 22 V max, and the -720NA +/- 17 Volts.
But the -860NA sounds a bit different, maybe because of extra resistors inside the OpAmp? who knows...i like the sound to be more analytical, and the 860NA
also took of the tendency for my HD650's to sound darker...which is appreciated. i'll check out the 49720HA TO99 Version for sure, but i dunno where i can
buy here in germany these browndog DIP8 to TO99 adaptors...and i don't know also *if* the shielding of my STX still match then...

I'm using no adaptors, just bend and cut the pins!
wink_face.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #2,719 of 5,721
Hey guys quick question about the STX. This card uses the same amp as the FiiO E9, correct? I was always worried when people say that so and so headphone with 250 ohm impedance requires a decent amp like the E9. I figured the amp on the STX wasn't super high quality because it wasn't a dedicated amplifier so I was cautious about getting high impedance headphones. Today I realized that it has the TI TPA6120A2, which appears to be the same as the E9. Coupled with the burr-brown 1792A DAC, is the STX just as capable as the E9/E7 combo? Will it be able to drive 250, 400, 600 ohm headphones just fine? Thanks!

Nov 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #2,720 of 5,721
Quote:
Hey guys quick question about the STX. This card uses the same amp as the FiiO E9, correct? I was always worried when people say that so and so headphone with 250 ohm impedance requires a decent amp like the E9. I figured the amp on the STX wasn't super high quality because it wasn't a dedicated amplifier so I was cautious about getting high impedance headphones. Today I realized that it has the TI TPA6120A2, which appears to be the same as the E9. Coupled with the burr-brown 1792A DAC, is the STX just as capable as the E9/E7 combo? Will it be able to drive 250, 400, 600 ohm headphones just fine? Thanks!

The Essence STX is more capable, as far as I know. It uses the same opamp on the amp side, but the circuit itself seems to be better, if the Stereophile measurements of noise and distortion are trustworthy. The two have the same power output, yes.

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #2,721 of 5,721

Quote:

My Xonar Essence STX works just fine with my 250-Ohm headphones.

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #2,725 of 5,721

It drives higher impedance headphones better than the wattage hungry low impedance ones. Most people will just dismiss the STX because it being a computer sound card, but it does perform exceptionally especially in the DAC section.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #2,726 of 5,721

Quote:
It drives higher impedance headphones better than the wattage hungry low impedance ones. Most people will just dismiss the STX because it being a computer sound card, but it does perform exceptionally especially in the DAC section.

Really? It's just that, I have an ST and I've been looking for some decent headphones to go with it, I was originally pretty set on the 600 ohm beyer DT880s but then I found a pretty old thread on here in which people were arguing back and forth saying it just wouldn't be able to run it well and that they needed an external amp, so I'm pretty confused now.

I was just wondering if you could confirm for me that it would be able to do well enough with those headphones or even the 250 ohm version, without an external amp? Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #2,727 of 5,721
Quote:

It would be more accurate to say current hungry low impedance headphones. Power (Watts) needed is determined by sensitivity in dB/mW, and not by impedance.

Other than that nitpick, I completely agree 
wink.gif

The Essence STX is more than powerful enough for the DT880/600. It's one of the hardest headphones to drive, yes (in terms of voltage), but the Essence STX has plenty of voltage and its output impedance won't cause any problems. It performs very well in distortion with high impedance loads, too.

The DT880/600 needs around 4 Vrms to be driven to high volume with plenty of head room. The Essence STX can do 7 Vrms at Highest gain setting. That's enough for 115 dB, an even higher benchmark for volume performance and the highest that's ever really used to my knowledge.

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #2,729 of 5,721

Quote:
Really? It's just that, I have an ST and I've been looking for some decent headphones to go with it, I was originally pretty set on the 600 ohm beyer DT880s but then I found a pretty old thread on here in which people were arguing back and forth saying it just wouldn't be able to run it well and that they needed an external amp, so I'm pretty confused now.

I was just wondering if you could confirm for me that it would be able to do well enough with those headphones or even the 250 ohm version, without an external amp? Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie.

Dont worry, it will run them without problem.  I have a Xonar D2X (which is weaker than ST and doesnt have a special headphone amp inside) and it runs my HD650's as good as any of my 200-300$ external amps, maybe not that loud (still more than loud enough), but in terms of sound quality, headphones might even sound better straight out of the soundcard.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #2,730 of 5,721
I tried making a thread for this question, but it doesn't seem to be garnering much attention.
I figured it would be prudent to ask it in the big thread. I'm looking for a set of neutral-sounding
op-amps for my future Essence ST. Currently I'm looking at the LT1364CN8, the AD797AR and
to a lesser extent the LME49860NA. I described what I want in more detail in the thread I made.

I'd much appreciate the insights of anyone who has had experience with these op-amps in the ST
with regards to neutrality and resolution. Thanks in advance!

Muffinator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back