The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Nov 14, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #2,731 of 5,721
I read the conversation betweeb PurpleAngle and yourself, and would agree to all his statement. In resolution term LME49860NA and LME49720NA are definately step up from the stock op-amp.

If you are using external amp, I read somewhere that LME49720NA or 1 other chip may put a cap on the bass when using it on the buffer (from 1 of the post in these 182 pages). Beware. I hope I have more time to go over this and confirm this with you later. Pruple Angle, feel free to correct me :)

In terms of neutral, its very difficult to judge - I think the pairing (headphone actually) plays a more important role. You need to tell us
  • the phone you are using, or
  • which frequency range is lacking / eccessive in your opinion. or
  • The sound is too harsh, you want to tone it down a bit / too smooth you want to give it a bit more kick.

For example if you use a lean base phone, then you might need to pair up with a heavy base op-amp to strike a balance, etc. Op-amp rolling does answer your question in some degree, but if you are asking for a large different or total different sound signature, a different headphone would be the answer most of the time.

Neutral is very subjective - some people comment AKG702 bass is rolled off, but for me it was the right amount. Honestly I will not be the right person to suggest what is right for you, but with all these infomration I hope someone will help point you to the right direction.

Good luck with your search for neutral sound.

Quote:
I tried making a thread for this question, but it doesn't seem to be garnering much attention.
I figured it would be prudent to ask it in the big thread. I'm looking for a set of neutral-sounding
op-amps for my future Essence ST. Currently I'm looking at the LT1364CN8, the AD797AR and
to a lesser extent the LME49860NA. I described what I want in more detail in the thread I made.

I'd much appreciate the insights of anyone who has had experience with these op-amps in the ST
with regards to neutrality and resolution. Thanks in advance!

Muffinator

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #2,732 of 5,721
I'm using an HD 555 at the moment, but that's only because it's the only thing I have.
I'd like to give it more openness and bass impact, but those are taken care of just by
adding an amplifier. I figure it'll sound balanced enough once amplified, so neutral op-amps
still seem optimal to me considering my plans to upgrade. I find nothing wrong with the
HD 555 otherwise, and as far as I can tell it's not too different from the K702.

Neutrality is not subjective; it's just widely misconceived. An unfortunately popular belief
is that neutral means the sound is "cold", bright, dull, uninvolving, etc. What neutrality
truly means is a lack of sound signature. The equipment reproduces sound in its true form,
without adding any coloration of its own. It's an open window into the music.

As for complaints about the K702, bass roll-off is only a result of underamplification.
With a powerful amp behind it such as the M-Stage, Lyr, HA-160, etc., it should be fine.
Although, I should add that all I know is through research. I haven't actually tested this.

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #2,733 of 5,721
Sounds like monitor phone or speaker will be a start for you.

I would say if you go descrete op-amp you might have a bigger chance for success for search for nuetral. Search for "natural" / "neutral" on first page of this thread should give you some idea which op-amp to go for.

I would suggest take PurpleAngle's suggestion to go for LME49860NA, since the tube like nature will even out the "digital" sound of SS nature. Descrete op-amp is exellent in this area as well.

Good luck.

Every component adds a certain coloration of itself. How the sound engineer master the track, every step in the sound production transport / DAC / AMP / speakers / headphone / cable adds its own coloration. You will need to go for component matching to get what's uncolored sound to you.

A full end to end matched system however will give higher success rate to obtain uncoloration.

P.S.: To me AKG702 with Essence ST is neutral, cause it gives me the closest "life alike" sound in relative to real life performance on classical. However based on how low frequency are heard and felt by most, the bass is overall considered "less" on headphone by design, as it cannot produce the "feel" speaker does. So some manufacture pre-emphasised bass in thier headphone product "to make up the loss". I think this is discussed in sound science forum. I probably more sensitive in "hear bass" than most people, and thus make 702 sounds accurate to me, even "without proper amplification" as mentioned by most.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #2,734 of 5,721
I just recently purchased an Asus Xonar Essence ST and I also ordered an H6 daughter board. I wish to replace the stock op-amps. I'm looking at the LME49710HA-ND TO99-8 x 2 mono cans on an adapter for L/R. For the H6 I'll use LME49720NA-ND 8-MDIP x 3 for the buffer stage. I'm curious what op-amps I should use for the I/V stage. I'm looking at OPA2137P and OPA2137PA. The only difference I can see is the voltage input offset with the P being 1500µV and the PA being 2500µV so I guess the PA is the cheaper part. Any ideas as to what would be better for use with LME49710 and LME49720 or possibly a better I/V op-amps for use with LME49710/20 ?

I intend to use it directly into digital amp modules I'm building. I'm curious about one thing though. Protected Audio Path! I hope to decode the new lossless formats from Bluray. I have a bad fealing AV100 DSP isn't PAP compliant. I know the AV200 does support PAP... Why didn't asus use the AV200 because I think that's one of the only differences... that and some bin sorting BS. It's simply a DSP HASH license I believe and all new Realtek implementations support it! Probably something like a penny to a dollar in added costs on DSP licensing per chip.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #2,736 of 5,721

Quote:
I intend to use it directly into digital amp modules I'm building. I'm curious about one thing though. Protected Audio Path! I hope to decode the new lossless formats from Bluray. I have a bad fealing AV100 DSP isn't PAP compliant. I know the AV200 does support PAP... Why didn't asus use the AV200 because I think that's one of the only differences... that and some bin sorting BS. It's simply a DSP HASH license I believe and all new Realtek implementations support it! Probably something like a penny to a dollar in added costs on DSP licensing per chip.

I've always thought the AVS100 and AVS200 were the same C-Media CMI8788 audio processor?
Where did you hear different?

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #2,737 of 5,721

Quote:
I'm trying to find op-amps for the ST myself. Unfortunately I can't help you,
but surely someone else can. Where the heck did you manage to find an H6 board?

Here are some sellers of the Asus HDAV 1.3 H6

Memory4less Calif.
Xpcgear  Calif.
Compuplus east coast USA
Amazon UK
eBay UK

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #2,738 of 5,721

Quote:
I've always thought the AVS100 and AVS200 were the same C-Media CMI8788 audio processor?
Where did you hear different?

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090410031057846&board_id=21&model=Xonar+Essence+STX&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

probably 
wink_face.gif

EDIT: http://techgage.com/article/asus_xonar_essence_stx/3 is the main site...

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #2,739 of 5,721
Nov 15, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #2,740 of 5,721

Quote:

So it appears to be the same CMI8788 Oxygen HD audio processor, which can output 8 channels (7.1) for an analog 7.1 speaker setup.
Blu-rays can output 7.1 channel of sound, so a sound card (like the Essence ST), needs to be able to output analog 7.1
The Essence STX was only designed for 2 channel analog output, no need to process the other 6 analog channels.
So the Essence STX can be using the CMI8788 full processing power for only 2 channels, great sound.
Or Asus can use a CMI8788 with up to 6 defective sound channels (cheaper processor) to power the STX

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #2,741 of 5,721

Quote:
I wouldn't trust everything this site says as it appears they didn't actually test the front panel audio as they claim that it is not amplified. Actually all front panel audio output options are amplified by the headphone amp, even the front panel 2 speaker output uses the headphone amp.

Well my 250-Ohm headphones have no problem working off the front jack.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #2,742 of 5,721
hello guys i have stx sound card and i really love it
my curent set up is 2 channel amp and speakers so im using rca output
i really wanna try other op amps like LME49720 and i read here that some use same op amps for I/V and buffer some uses other op amps for buffer so i really dont know what to do right now.
maybe other users with similar setup like mine can help me or just tell me what op amps to get cuz ill be ordering maybe 2 or 3 different op amps but i dont know if for example i order LME49720 do i buy just 2 of them or do i need 3
thx a lot guys for any help

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #2,743 of 5,721

Quote:
hello guys i have stx sound card and i really love it
my curent set up is 2 channel amp and speakers so im using rca output
i really wanna try other op amps like LME49720 and i read here that some use same op amps for I/V and buffer some uses other op amps for buffer so i really dont know what to do right now.
maybe other users with similar setup like mine can help me or just tell me what op amps to get cuz ill be ordering maybe 2 or 3 different op amps but i dont know if for example i order LME49720 do i buy just 2 of them or do i need 3
thx a lot guys for any help

Just order three LME49860NA, great price on eBay

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #2,744 of 5,721
Hello, I have a problem with opamps as well, I put 3 X LME49720NA and there's way too much highs :frowning2: !!! I have to put -4db on 8Khz and -8db on 16Khz and even with that, highs are still VERY agressive :frowning2: !
It's so agressive that I feel very disturbed with my ears, I tried to reduce it further but it still kind of "hurts". I'll try to go backwards with opamps but I have to ask my parents to go get the soundcard box, and I don't believe it's going to change the sound THAT much.
It does not come from the speakers, I have soundsticks II and they're already harsh but JBL duet are very soft and with the soundcard they become harsh as well and have far more highs. And it's the same for the big Ellipson's speakers :_(...

If you have any please tell me I'm having a hard time enjoying this soundcard whatever the use of it : headphones, speakers, in ears (too much power for IE8 : 16 ohms and high sensitivity...)
I almost regret it, I should have bought a costly external amp with digital input :frowning2:

Thank you

EDIT : I'm doing tests to really listen to the difference and there are many songs where the vocals actually have more treble I'm taking my J3 and the duet before my ears explode....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back