The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Nov 24, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #2,761 of 5,722

yeah whats' the deal with this?  i'm getting massive amounts of interference from my videocard and i have taken all of the trouble shooting steps, including making an extra EMI shield from aluminum foil and cardboard.  i'm about to RMA this card. 

Quote:
Is the RCA output unshielded?? I have a Schiit Asgard amp plugged into my STX, and I can hear either processor or disk noise, similar when plugging headphones directly into an unshielded laptop output.

I know it's not the amp, because the noise only happens when I make an action on the computer, and adjusting the volume even to 0 on both the amp and the computer still produces the noise at the same volume.

It's probably too quiet to hear if you're using full sized headphones, but on IEMs it's incredibly noticeable, and very distracting when playing some games.

Nov 25, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #2,765 of 5,722

Quote:
Guys, what Gain recommend for the ATH-M50?

Normal Gain? o Hiight Gain its ok?

Not high Ohm headphone, so normal gain.

Nov 25, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #2,766 of 5,722
Quote:
Guys, what Gain recommend for the ATH-M50?

Normal Gain? o Hiight Gain its ok?

Whatever you get enough volume with. The lower gain setting the better.

PurpleAngel, impedance doesn't matter here. Those are just recommended ranges. They mean nothing. Same with published specs like "16-600 ohms".

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #2,767 of 5,722
With Normal Gain l set de master volumen to 80-100% to get good detail sound quality.

otherwise, with Hight Gain the volume es set to 50% and its a bit loud, i dont know if its a "placebo" but l notice more detail in Normal Gain with vol in 80-100%

this settings really make any impact in sound quality?

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #2,768 of 5,722
Higher gain settings may potentially introduce more harmonic distortion, not a good thing.

Also that is really loud. Do you use ReplayGain or any form of additional digital volume control?

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #2,769 of 5,722
nope, l only use foober with WASAPI, all the control is with Xonar Master Volumen.

l think i will keep with Normal Gain settings, dont know why need high values in the control panel(with movies or games sometime i put 100% with no differences), but the muisc sound fantastic.

also sorry for bad english, im from Spain

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #2,771 of 5,722
I was thinking about upgrading from my Revo 5.1 for quality and for Dolby Headphone.

Currently i'm using 3 outputs simultaneously; digital to my speakers, line out to LD MKII and the headphone out. Using a switch to choose if the headphones are fed by the LD or by the Revos headphone amp because i don't want to torture the tubes for gaming.  Can the STX pull this off? I don't want to go to a control panel to choose the output to use, ever.

How would the default volume control in Win7 work? With the Revo it's perfect, digital out always stays at max and the single slider affects both line and headphone out.

How does Dolby Headphone exactly work with this? Could i just keep it constantly enabled without it interfering with stereo content?

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #2,772 of 5,722

Quote:
I was thinking about upgrading from my Revo 5.1 for quality and for Dolby Headphone.
Currently i'm using 3 outputs simultaneously; digital to my speakers, line out to LD MKII and the headphone out. Using a switch to choose if the headphones are fed by the LD or by the Revos headphone amp because i don't want to torture the tubes for gaming.  Can the STX pull this off? I don't want to go to a control panel to choose the output to use, ever.
How would the default volume control in Win7 work? With the Revo it's perfect, digital out always stays at max and the single slider affects both line and headphone out.
How does Dolby Headphone exactly work with this? Could i just keep it constantly enabled without it interfering with stereo content?

The Essence STX can not output through the RCAs and headphone(s) jacks at the same time and needs to be switched in control panel.
The Essence STX can not do Dolby Headphone through the RCAs outputs (just Dolby Virtual Speaker) and RCAs only outputs 2.0 channel, not true 5.1.
I believe the digital output is always on, but I do not have my Essence STX manual handy to check.

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #2,773 of 5,722
I read the manual over at the internets and digital does mute the analog outputs :frowning2: Damn.

It'd be OK if you could create profiles and shortcuts to them.. jumping in and out of the CP would get too annoying for me in the long run.

I'm screwed when the Revo dies, or when i run out of luck with the beta Vista 64 drivers.

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #2,775 of 5,722
I usually listen to my HD650 at about 8-12% master volume with high gain. I'm assuming that's actually really low then.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back