The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Feb 16, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #2,251 of 5,721
Drivers on website also now.

Xonar Essence STX driver for Windows 7 32/64-bit Version: 7.12.8.1793
1. Fix: When first open ASIO Panel, the Bit info is not shown correctly issue.
2. Fix: Pop sound issue when play system test sound with DTS interactive enabled.
3. Fix: When open Xonar AP and Xonar ASIO at same time, moving Xonar AP will cut the Xonar ASIO window.  Drivers are also on the Website now.

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #2,254 of 5,721
OPA 2107 / OPA2111KP's in I/V. Dunno about buffer opamps though. You only need to switch the buffer opamp if you use the line out. I use the headphone out to my amp (with the Asus headphone amp set to no gain) to bypass the average quality capacitors that degrade the sound.

Feb 20, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #2,255 of 5,721
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I have the essence stx, windows 7, and using winamp. should i be worried about incorporating asio with my winamp/foobar?

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #2,256 of 5,721

Quote:
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I have the essence stx, windows 7, and using winamp. should i be worried about incorporating asio with my winamp/foobar?

If you're using Winamp, dont bother with asio, since it wont work propertly. What you want with Winamp is a Kernel Streaming plug in (google it, download it) , which is basically the same thing.
If you use Foobar, then go for ASIO.   I have both, but i cant notice absolutely any difference between the 2 players even when doing blindfolded A-B tests, with any type of music (from mp3 to 96khz flac).

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #2,257 of 5,721
cool, thanks for the reply. I went ahead and downloaded kernel streaming. not sure if its a placebo but it the sound feels a little richer.

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #2,258 of 5,721

Quote:
cool, thanks for the reply. I went ahead and downloaded kernel streaming. not sure if its a placebo but it the sound feels a little richer.

Well, it depends a lot on your music. If you're listening to 44khz flac then you wont notice much difference, try downloading some REALLY high quality music, like Miles Davis Kind of blue 96 khz album, where one track is 200mb in size. Then you will notice the difference :p

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #2,260 of 5,721
Sorry if this is out of place, but I didn't know where to ask.

Do you think it would be possible to run this card externally? 
As in, independant of the computers PCI slot?

I only use the 2 channel analog outputs, but would like to free up my single pci-e port (mini-ITX motherboard only has one port).\

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #2,261 of 5,721

Quote:
Sorry if this is out of place, but I didn't know where to ask.

Do you think it would be possible to run this card externally? 
As in, independant of the computers PCI slot?

I only use the 2 channel analog outputs, but would like to free up my single pci-e port (mini-ITX motherboard only has one port).\

Nope, of course not. You need some input into the card. :p  
It cant work without the PCI slot and additional power connection.

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #2,263 of 5,721

Quote:
Surely you could use an extension lead to the PCI slot?

Not really sure if such a thing exists. But even if it did, that would mean that the card is plugged outside of the PC, and then into the
internal PCI slot by some cable?

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #2,264 of 5,721
same Asio plugin works without issues for me in winamp,Kernel Steaming usually give me issues in winamp when it some times make my sounds speed up and sound like chimpmucks. As for Op-amps I been using 2x OPA2107APs in my I/v for a while now. I using Uni Xonar 1793 drivers but I notice the volume being boosted too.

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #2,265 of 5,721
I have a quick question.

Does the Essence STX make an exceptional digital source?  Or, will my motherboard coaxial out be just as good if I am using an external dac/amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back