The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Dec 16, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #2,206 of 5,722
I posted for some help with choosing headphones in the Headphones section, but I just now stumbled across this topic and had a brief question. Any of you running this card with a pair of DT990 600Ohm cans without issues? Have the driver issues I read about been resolved??

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #2,208 of 5,722
Since it seems to have a fairly powerful amp, are there any soundcards out there with amps inferior to this one but at a lower cost? I'm getting headphones for a maximum cost of about $200(pref. around $150 - $160) and although they might work without amplifiers, I'd still like to have a soundcard with one so I can rest assured that I'm getting as much as I can out ouf my cans as possible. To be more precise I've mainly looked at AKGs 242 HD

But the ST/X is at least to me the absolute opposite of inexpensive and I've yet to find a low price in Europe incl. shipping, so are there any other alternatives out there? Or should one perhaps get a good DAC instead?A

Also I'm probaby not going to upgrade my headphones in a long time after this. Basically I'll have them 'til they break, and I'm hoping they can hold up nicely for at least 2 - 3 years. I mean, I had a Sennheiser gaming headset a time ago, and it took 2½ years until one can stopped working.

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #2,211 of 5,722

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it seems that the 49720 has clearer trebles, but slightly less bass than 4562
confused.gif

Odd.... especially considering they are supposed to be the same exact part... though I also noticed that the LME49720 seemed a little bit clearer. However, if seeking sonic nirvana is your thing, IMO, the OPA211 (x2 in Browndog) sounds more "alive" and "organic".

I am planning to replace my OP-Amps with LME49720 my Headphone is SENNHEISER HD 280 PRO (64OHMS) . I want to know  my headphone is good enough for   LME49720 Op-Amp.
if i use OPA211 OP-Amps instead of LME49720 what is the performance difference. anybody have experience please help me....................

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #2,212 of 5,722

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it seems that the 49720 has clearer trebles, but slightly less bass than 4562
confused.gif

Odd.... especially considering they are supposed to be the same exact part... though I also noticed that the LME49720 seemed a little bit clearer. However, if seeking sonic nirvana is your thing, IMO, the OPA211 (x2 in Browndog) sounds more "alive" and "organic".

I am planning to replace my OP-Amps with LME49720 my Headphone is SENNHEISER HD 280 PRO (64OHMS) . I want to know  my headphone is good enough for   LME49720 Op-Amp.
if i use OPA211 OP-Amps instead of LME49720 what is the performance difference. anybody have experience please help me....................

price wise OPA211 Indian Rupees  1500/- (around US$33), LME49720 Indian rupees 203 (US$ 4.5) only.  for average Indian OPA211 price is very high. but if sound quality is that much high & pure then i will buy OPA211....All audiophile experts please give me your valuable help........

Thanks
Shaju

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2,213 of 5,722
Does anyone know if it matters whether the DIP8 socket is gold or silver? I am using 2 to fit two discrete op-amps. One is gold, the other silver. I'm pretty sure one channel is louder than the other. Could it be the adapter material or more likely my lousy soldering?

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #2,215 of 5,722

Quote:
Quote:
my lousy soldering

your answer. gold and silver don't matter. the only reason gold is put on electronics is to make them last longer and be rust-free.

Possibly, but I think if it was soldering it would either work or not. The circuit is either connected or not, right?

I'm pretty sure it's burn in, beacuse it's balancing out which I didn't think it would do (I installed one to use in the buffer before the other so it had about 10 hours more playtime). Burn-in seems to be really important in discrete op-amps.

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #2,217 of 5,722
[size=small]
imageview.php
[/size]
[size=small]The picture above better illustrates the opamp design and layout.  We have the JRC2114’s at the right hand side feeding the signal into the final buffer stage (LM4562) at the left.  Between the JRC2114’s and the LM4562 we have relays, when switching the card into headphone mode the relays change the output of the 2114D from the LM4562 to the (Hi-Z) Headphone amplifier chip offering more gain for your high end headphones.[/size]

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #2,220 of 5,722

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
my lousy soldering

your answer. gold and silver don't matter. the only reason gold is put on electronics is to make them last longer and be rust-free.

Possibly, but I think if it was soldering it would either work or not. The circuit is either connected or not, right?

I'm pretty sure it's burn in, beacuse it's balancing out which I didn't think it would do (I installed one to use in the buffer before the other so it had about 10 hours more playtime). Burn-in seems to be really important in discrete op-amps.

Although I don't believe in burn-in for opamps (as there is zero scientific evidence for it unlike dynamic moving coil headphones and earphones) you could try it but I'd guess it's far more lilkey dodgy soldering / dodgy solder material. That or faulty opamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back