The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Dec 3, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #2,193 of 5,721

Quote:
Quote:
What happens if You use a mix up of OP Amps. For instance, putting a 49720 in buffer/IV and a LM6172IN in the other IV?

Different sounding channels (and potential distortion of signal) = never a good thing.

I see. lol.

So I did some research on all the opamps on this thread. It seems the lme49720 is very very popular amongst everyone here. But I'm just wondering why is it so good if the OPA series of OP amps cost more?

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #2,194 of 5,721
Can someone post a link for the adaptor and instructions I need to use LME49720HA on the STX card? Or if there aren't any instructions can someone explain what is required for me to get that op amp to work (what needs to be soldered and where)?. I've done soldering in Grade 10 and I'm in 2nd year UNI and haven't soldered since then...so is that safe? In terms of soldering I've only done wiring and 0 hardware lol. 

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #2,195 of 5,721
Two different versions of this available on some websites.  One with MFG Part # 90-YAA0C0-0UAN00Z that costs $10 less than the other with MFG Part # XONAR ESSENCE STX.  Any differences?  Is the cheaper one OEM?

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #2,197 of 5,721
I have problem with ground noise or hissing since I upgraded to this card. Everything else amazes me about it. I use Alessandro MS1 headphones with the card. OS is WinXP, foobar2000 with ASUS Xonar ASIO as output. I tested several, if not all, combinations of sample rate and bit-depth, but still get the hissing. I disabled the onboard sound to see if that would help but no. Most of the music I play are flac in 16-bit and 44.1 sample rate. The hissing is not noticable on some recordings, barely noticable on some and CLEARLY noticable on some, especially classic and jazz recordings.

What would you say my problem is?

I figured that I could use the other analog out (not the headphone output) but can´t seem to get any sound out of it. I recently had a mic connected to that output, is that why I don´t get any sound out of it? The Alessandro aren´t that hard to drive so that´s why I figured the other output would do it without putting any stress on the headphones and creating this hiss. But I really don´t know if this is the problem, and I would rather use the headphone output...

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #2,199 of 5,721

Quote:
I have problem with ground noise or hissing since I upgraded to this card. Everything else amazes me about it. I use Alessandro MS1 headphones with the card. OS is WinXP, foobar2000 with ASUS Xonar ASIO as output. I tested several, if not all, combinations of sample rate and bit-depth, but still get the hissing. I disabled the onboard sound to see if that would help but no. Most of the music I play are flac in 16-bit and 44.1 sample rate. The hissing is not noticable on some recordings, barely noticable on some and CLEARLY noticable on some, especially classic and jazz recordings.

Do a clean uninstall + registry clean and then reinstall the latest drivers, I had my fare share with that hissing problem when I was overclocking my PC and stress testing it. I found out eons later that a Windows crash could seriously mess up the Xonar drivers...

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #2,200 of 5,721

Quote:
To use the analog out you have to change the setting to 2 speakers from headphone. Below is a picture to help you out.

Tried that but no sound :frowning2: Even after reinstalling...

Quote:
Quote:

Do a clean uninstall + registry clean and then reinstall the latest drivers, I had my fare share with that hissing problem when I was overclocking my PC and stress testing it. I found out eons later that a Windows crash could seriously mess up the Xonar drivers...

Ok tried that now but the hissing is still there. Any other suggestions?
Thanks btw!

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #2,201 of 5,721
Are you sure your records are of high quality?! Hook up your headphones to the RCA output of the card using the 2 X RCA => 3,5" jack adapter that comes in the box. If the hiss is still present then the issue is probably your audio files.
Is the hissing present when watching a movie/playing a game?

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #2,202 of 5,721

Quote:
Are you sure your records are of high quality?! Hook up your headphones to the RCA output of the card using the 2 X RCA => 3,5" jack adapter that comes in the box. If the hiss is still present then the issue is probably your audio files. Is the hissing present when watching a movie/playing a game?

That´s a good idea! But the hissing is still there. It would be a shame if it were my heaphones that are damaged :frowning2: One small chance/risk could be the 4-pin from my power source. I had no single cable to be put only in the card because most of my 4-pins are used for other stuff.

As for the source...some could be bad. But most of my flac score 100% in EAC. And I hear the hissing in classic tracks from the Burmester Reference CD III

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #2,203 of 5,721
Thank you for much thorough review that I need badly now. I will try this card installing LME49720, but I have never swapped opamps before. Any first timer can do this easy? How to get instructions?

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #2,204 of 5,721
 kind of funny seeing where this thread has gone. seems like no place. after much effort & expense modifying my ST, i left it behind around 4 months ago. went the dac route and finally have a nice computer based hi-fi. frankly, it blows the ST away. i wouldn't use a ST if you gave it to me. i still have lots of opa's from my ST adventure, but was able to use the burson components i bought for it on my dac, with a much better result.

swapping opa's will not overcome the issues of the ST. if hi-fidelity is what your after, look elsewhere.
:)

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #2,205 of 5,721
Sigh... that's the problem I see in you guys...
I don't chnage the opamps, and I believe the original sound is good enough for me.

I mean, sometimes, the more you're asking for, the more dispointments you'll get, and eventually you forgot what you originally wanted it for.

THis is a nice card, relax, and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back