The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
May 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #1,711 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I use a pair of K701s with the STX and I find the sound to be too cold, so I'm looking for opamps that can make the sound a lot warmer. Especially in the midrange, I want it to sound more forward and more full-bodied.

I see that ROBSCIX recommended OPA2134, OPA827's, OPA2132, OPA2227 earlier in the thread, but what are the differences between them? Or are there other choices?

I use an amp --> k701 through the STX's line out, so I need to change only one opamp, the "buffer" opamp?

Sorry I'm a complete noob at opamp rolling, thanks in advance!

If you are using the integrated amp, you are using 2 opamps
the I/V, if you are using the line out you use those 2 opamps plus a third opamp called the buffer which helps you customize the sound a bit more.

May 2, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #1,712 of 5,721
Thanks levlhed and forciano

So after reading some more (indeed very confusing), I think I will just leave the buffer opamp stock for now, and 2 X OPA2227P in the I/V for the warmer sound. How does this combo look? The OPA2227P can go straight on the STX without adapter right?

I actually just found 2 pieces of BB OPA627AU at home, would these fit on STX? or would they need an adapter? Looks like this:
p1040649.jpg

And if these OPA627s do work, how do i know which direction to install them?

Thanks again!!

May 3, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #1,714 of 5,721
Alright, i just swapped the opamps, but turns out one of my opa627s is dead
frown.gif

so now i have a opa627au in the buffer, and the 2 stock JRC2114s in the I/V.

But somehow the sound seems slightly shifted to the right channel, why is that?? Did i not put the buffer opamp in properly?

May 3, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #1,715 of 5,721
kwang411
Bwhaha, same thing with me - I've just got 2 opa627au and killed one of them by wrong
installation in buffer. Now I'm listening second 627 in buffer, details and bass are improved.
With 49720NA in I/V sound is fatiguing (attack is too strong). With default JRC2114D all is ok, sound is very good.
Soon I'll try 627au in I/V and 627BP in buffer.

May 3, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #1,716 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks levlhed and forciano

So after reading some more (indeed very confusing), I think I will just leave the buffer opamp stock for now, and 2 X OPA2227P in the I/V for the warmer sound. How does this combo look? The OPA2227P can go straight on the STX without adapter right?

I actually just found 2 pieces of BB OPA627AU at home, would these fit on STX? or would they need an adapter? Looks like this:
And if these OPA627s do work, how do i know which direction to install them?

Thanks again!!

The OPA2227's will dropr right in provided they are DIP8 versions as they are dual channel opamps. The 627's are single channel opamps and SOIC, so they require an adapter and TWO opamps per unit. So for instance to build units for the I/V you would need 4 OPA627's and 2 adapters.

May 4, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #1,718 of 5,721
Just has a rare chance to try this card with a headphone. I've always used it exclusively with speakers prior to today. The story is that my friend was kind enough to let me borrow his ATH-W5000 for a few days and I must say that I've no regret spending around $160 for this card.

I'm using the headphone out of the card with normal gain set (ATH-W5000's Z=40 ohms). I installed 2 LME49720NA's for the I/V and 1 LT1358 for the buffer.

At first I couldn't believe what I was hearing and I had to question myself if I wasn't imagining things. The card and can combination surpassed anything I expected before putting it on. The most prominent features are sparkling highs and vivid details. Female vocals are very seductive with their textures, smoothness, and warmth. The bass somewhat lacks amount and impact but that was expected considering the opamps I'm using. I was never a fan of head-bobbing bass from the first place so I'm very impressed at what I heard.

I tried plugging it into Marantz PM7200 integrated amplifier which costed me nearly three times the price of this card and I think I can safely say that the card outperforms the amp. Well, that's something not way out of expectation when we're comparing a dedicated headphone amp audio card with an integrated amp meant to drive speakers.

Considering the fact that I can still have it in my hand for another few days, I took a chance to grab for myself 2 of another much-praised opamp: the OPA2137P's. They'll be arriving shortly and I'll post my comments once I auditioned them.

May 6, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #1,720 of 5,721
i've been using them since yesterday, it seems they still have to sort out some bugs. i tried to lunch one application while listening to foobar(WASAPI), which lead to dropout in music with older drivers (with ASIO i heard sounds of both foobar and applications). now it get stuck completely in a short loop. same thing happens when i'm browsing some web sites that constains sound. after some testing i'll have to switch to older drivers because of this (or maybe try the other player?). it could be the foobar's asio plugin that's causing this. volume control is now not responding at all, when using ASIO. it's 100% at all times. i guess it's supposed to be that way when doing bitperfect. so i'm afraid people who use the integrated headphone amp or don't have volume control means after soundcard can't use ASIO with new drivers.

other than that, there is a significant increase of focus -> vocals are more articulate and details more apparent. there is impression of faster sound with better instruments imaging, although sound slightly lost on weight. i would never thought drivers could contribute this much to sound quality. i guess previous drivers must have been awfully broken, otherwise it's hard to explain this magic transformation. either way, the new drivers put STX on a higher level in my book. i'm using W7 btw.

May 6, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #1,722 of 5,721
Just tried the freshly released beta driver and encountered a few problems.
1. Since it's bitperfect output, we can no longer control the volume by turning the driver's volume knob. On trying it out, the amp nearly blew my ears deaf along with the W5000's drivers. So be careful especially if your cans have low impedance (Mine is 40 ohms). I think I'm forced to use foobar's volume controller now.
2. I'm not sure if this is another characteristic of bitperfect output or not (and I wish it isn't). When there's any program that produces sound, e.g. the clicking sound of Windows Explorer navigation, the song being played in foobar will freeze.

Another thing, I feel like I want to DIY a dedicated power supply for the card. I believe Fzman built one for himself. Did he outlined the steps by which he built his unit?

May 6, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #1,724 of 5,721
good day ...

i am nubie & want to ask (sorry for my bad english - i am not native for it)
i change opamp for my stx for i/v with pair of LME49720HA & pleased with it so far
biggrin.gif
with default buffer opamp LM4562

what i want to ask are :
  1. is it normal for LME49720HA temperature to be very hot when active? (my finger can't stay a second when touch it)
  2. is it safe in long term when i use it without converter like all of you guys recommended (see picture bellow)
  3. what the best buffer opamp from my choice available at my country? there are: LME49720HA, LT111, LT1363CN8, LT1028ACN8#PBF. i don't know wheter there are single or dual channel (i can manage to make it dual by combining 2 of single with converter available if a must) what i am looking for is for warmer sound than LM4562 with limited stock available

thanks before (& sorry if i break any rule in this forum that i'am not aware of it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back