The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Apr 21, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #1,681 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by Checkmated /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey ROBSCIX,

I have a Sennheiser HD800 sound card since August, and I don't have a dedicated amplifier. I owned a couple of LME49720NAs and LM6172, along with the Xonar Essence STX.

I had been trying 2 X LME49720NA and 2 x LM6172, and I think non of them suit my taste, I think the treble is too high and the bass is too weak

(Yeah I have set my sound card to output 300 - 600 Ohm range)

Do you have any tips for me? Should I get a dedicated amplifier? I'm a beginner but I refuse to deal with tube amplifier though just because I don't have the space, and the patience to cook it everytime I want to listen something.

(hell I might as well as leave the tube amplifier run 24/7 LOL, as my PC is running 24/7 non stop, not even sleep)

Yes, I would use an external with the HD800's, perhaps some nice tubes?
I am partial to tubes for various tasks. (I guess you don't like them) That is not to say I don't like solid state though.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #1,682 of 5,722
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I recently purchased a pair of Genelec 6010A and the subwoofer 5040A for my computer with listening to music (70%) and gaming (30%) in mind. Now I want to upgrade from the integrated crap to something that complements the speakers.
I've read that this card is supposed to be amazing for stereo setups. Is it the way to go? I will not be using any headphones on this.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #1,683 of 5,722
Quote:

Checkmated
Now I'm using M^3 amplifier with HD 600, and same setup - 2xLME49720NA+LM6172IN.
Sound is VERY nice, good bass, smooth treble, in general, the sound is soft and very pleasant. Really good sound for this cheap opamp.
From headphone out 49720 sounds sharpy and a little bass-light, sound of 6172 in HP-out is terrible, imho.
Use external amplifier with your HD800! Will be a huge difference, and finally appears SOUND.

P.S.: Modes 64-300 and 300-600 have more wearying bass and trebble compared to 0-64 mode. Check it out.

Kewl! Thank you, I'm checking them out.

Quote:

Yes, I would use an external with the HD800's, perhaps some nice tubes?
I am partial to tubes for various tasks. (I guess you don't like them) That is not to say I don't like solid state though.

I'll still stick to solid states, the size is great and the convenience worth some trade off. I did test a decent solid state against a decent tube amp at a seminar on the HD650 and I don't find the tube have any significant better sound characteristic at all

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #1,684 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by Checkmated /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kewl! Thank you, I'm checking them out.

I'll still stick to solid states, the size is great and the convenience worth some trade off. I did test a decent solid state against a decent tube amp at a seminar on the HD650 and I don't find the tube have any significant better sound characteristic at all

Not that I dont believe you but remember that the actual tubes are the ones that change the sound. So you have to make sure you are using good sounding tubes in order to get the most out of these amps.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #1,685 of 5,722
What effect do power supplies have on the line out quality of the ST? I've been thinking of setting up a separate computer, dedicated to audio with an ST in it. This computer would be run off of batteries as i have heard (literally) that it helps audio components to isolate them from A/C.

I would imagine that this has little to no effect on digital lines and lots of effects on analog (or analouge) line. So really the main effect would be to the D/A conversion itself. I also think this would have little effect on a sound card and a much greater effect on an amplifier?

So, is it worth the expense of setting up such a system (around $200 of computer + about $600 for batteries and special electronics to control them etc) and not to mention the extra complication and hassle. I realize that's a value judgement, but how diminishing are my returns going to be by battery powering a ST.

Not worth it and just do that to my amps?

Has anyone played with this?

Thanks.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #1,689 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by VISTREL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got today the ST version, blew my Audigy 2 ZS away. Saved bunch of money on DAC & Amp without compromising the sound quality.

Well that is the main point of this product, it is a very high quality DAC and amplifer for the PRICE. Will the onbaord amp compete with an amplifer that is high end and worth many timesmore then the card? No way!
However, given the actual quality of both the DAC and the amplifier it is a very good deal. You can always use the DAC itself and add your own amplifer.

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #1,690 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that is the main point of this product, it is a very high quality DAC and amplifer for the PRICE. Will the onbaord amp compete with an amplifer that is high end and worth many timesmore then the card? No way!
However, given the actual quality of both the DAC and the amplifier it is a very good deal. You can always use the DAC itself and add your own amplifer.

+1
Yup. I compared the analog out of the STX to that of my DAC1-Pre being fed SPDIF or USB. I actually preferred the STX. The sound was smoother, warmer and seemed to have a better bottom end.:D

JMHO

shane

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #1,692 of 5,722
Hi there..
whew! It took about two days but I finally read the whole thread.

Just installed an STX into my music server. Setup is 2-ch STX going into a Dared SL-2000A preamp (2005 Auricap version) feeding a "Bob Latino" Dynaco VTA ST-70 (both with choice NOS tubes) powering a pair of Tekton Designs OB4.5 with the tweeter upgrade. The second line out of the preamp feeding a pair of Polk DSWmicroPRO2000 subs. I love many aspects of this setup. I chose the OB4.5's for their promise of a large SS and high level of detail and coherence esp. at lower volumes. They combine the desirable aspects of a single driver speaker and an open baffle design. The subs are dialed in just right to round out the bottom. The tube gear was purchased after much research into finding "affordable gems" and the subsequent tube-rolling roller coaster was an adventure that got rather expensive by the end! I've got a pile of all the usual "12AT7" suspects to prove it too.

Up till now I've been just using a spare USB sound card (Audiotrak MAYA44 USB) I had left over from previous DJ rigs. Knowing this was the weak link, I've had my eye on an STX for awhile now. It wasn't until after I purchased it that I started looking into the whole opamp thing, which brought me to the thread.

Of course my first impressions of the card with the stock opamps are very positive. A marked improvement over the USB card! However, my experience with tube rolling begs the questions of "what will make it even better?"

In the process of reading this thread I managed to take a couple stabs @ getting some different chips making their way to me.
I've got a couple LME4927NA's, 2x AD8620AR on adapters, and an LT1057CN8. I think the AD8620's were a misguided choice from some random post I found elsewhere. I think the 4927NA's will be right in the I/V position, but I'm still trying to determine what's going to be a best-guess for the buffer. (I use the line out only, no headphones)

What am I after?
I love the warm tube sound. But I know even within that there are many varying degrees. Overall I am after a more balanced, detailed (but not harsh/bright) sound with extension in all directions.
I listen to electronic dance music almost exclusively. A clarity and control in the bass is crucial. Many people think that for rap/techno/etc you just want big bass, but I disagree. The fact that the music focuses so much on bass demands that area be under control and clean.
Between the tubes and the Tekton's I've got plenty of oomph in the midrange, this area receives a lot of attention by their very nature. Because the midrange is accentuated, the clarity and detail that is fed to it is crucial as well. They are very revealing!
Part of my grueling 12AT7-rolling was some attempts to tune the mids right, but also get the highs defined, clear, extended, but not harsh. With 3 different places to put the 12AT7 family in my setup you can only imagine the number of combinations and configurations I had to go through to get it "just right".

My concern is only the the 4970NA's are going to throw too much out there on the highs and maybe make the mids a little too hard(?). I'm not too concerned with the bass being lower in apparent volume as long as it pulls it in nice and tight. The Polk subs have some more to offer in volume so I can easily dial them up a bit to compensate volume.

I'm imagining I want a buffer that maybe "warms" the NA's, smooths out the highs and (if it's not too much to ask) pulls the bass back up without squashing the definition too.

I'd thought maybe the LT1057CN8 was a good choice for the buffer, but further reading shows I should have maybe got the LT1057ACN8 (or was it CA), and that they it might not even be ideal in the buffer.

Any other candidates?
I can't see myself doing any soldering so sticking with DIP8 for now is necessary. I'm fine if this leaves out some of the better choices for now. I'm thinking just a little better sound out of the STX will be "enough" at this point. Just knowing I did *something* and got a sound I like better than stock should be enough for my ego ATM
wink.gif

I don't know if it means anything to most of you, the 12AT7 tubes I'm running are Telefunken ECC801S's in the preamp, a 1962 RCA 12AT7W in the middle voltage amp position of the ST70 and Siemens ECC801S Triple Mica's on the 2 phase splitter/inverters of the ST70. The ST70 is running Gold Lion KT-66's.
Maybe if you know the general characteristics of their sound you can divine where my ears like to be....

I am here for biased opinions and their justifying arguments
biggrin.gif

Thank you.

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #1,693 of 5,722
After listening to the stock card for a while, I think what I'd like to hear is more detail on the highs, what I hear are that while the frequencies are there in proper proportion they lack a certain clarity and liquid sparkle. They seem kind of crammed in there without a distinct polish and shimmer. I'd like them to be more liquid and detailed. The mids seem OK but I wouldn't mind a little more magic there. Again, they don't seem over done in presence, but I would like to hear some more of that liquid analog lushness. The bass seems to be about right, but I can hear how it could be a little tighter and defined.
Am I right in thinking the LME4927NA's in the I/V will sort that out pretty well?
Or would that be nicer in the buffer with a different chip in I/V?

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #1,694 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by VISTREL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got today the ST version, blew my Audigy 2 ZS away. Saved bunch of money on DAC & Amp without compromising the sound quality.

You can judge the sound quality again after 2 weeks use. Mine is Essence ST and it's sound quality changed from aggressive, forward and grainy to superb ,fluid and perfect after 2 weeks use, IMHO :L3000:

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #1,695 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by levlhed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After listening to the stock card for a while, I think what I'd like to hear is more detail on the highs, what I hear are that while the frequencies are there in proper proportion they lack a certain clarity and liquid sparkle. They seem kind of crammed in there without a distinct polish and shimmer. I'd like them to be more liquid and detailed. The mids seem OK but I wouldn't mind a little more magic there. Again, they don't seem over done in presence, but I would like to hear some more of that liquid analog lushness. The bass seems to be about right, but I can hear how it could be a little tighter and defined.
Am I right in thinking the LME4927NA's in the I/V will sort that out pretty well?
Or would that be nicer in the buffer with a different chip in I/V?

The LME49720HA, for the I/V would provide a bit more high end extension.
You might also consider the LME49710HA module for the Buffer instead.

Many people use these units around here but both of these units you will have to build or have another build them. They are metal can and considered the highest quality units of that opamp family. Here is a pic of the units:
Picture-004.jpg

The 3 front units are LME49720HA and the larger rear module is the LME49710HA.
Some use the 720's for the IV and a different opamp for buffer, some use the 710 module for buffer and different opamps for the I/V. I have seen some use all three...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back