The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Apr 30, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #1,696 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by levlhed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After listening to the stock card for a while, I think what I'd like to hear is more detail on the highs, what I hear are that while the frequencies are there in proper proportion they lack a certain clarity and liquid sparkle. They seem kind of crammed in there without a distinct polish and shimmer. I'd like them to be more liquid and detailed. The mids seem OK but I wouldn't mind a little more magic there. Again, they don't seem over done in presence, but I would like to hear some more of that liquid analog lushness. The bass seems to be about right, but I can hear how it could be a little tighter and defined.
Am I right in thinking the LME4927NA's in the I/V will sort that out pretty well?
Or would that be nicer in the buffer with a different chip in I/V?

On the buffer not recommend all the transactions that you named. As a buffer, in addition to the recommended by ROBSCIX, you can put:

LT1364 (preferred)
LT1361
LT1358
LT1124 (in use)

These are the opa I prefer on the buffer.

On I/V you can use the LME4927NA '. I have never liked them because they have a cold, sterile sound and without harmonics, we would recommend:

OPA2137P
OPamp audio GD "Earth" (in use).

List tested to date:

JRC2114D
LME4562NA
LME49720NA
OPA2137P
OPA2132P / PA
OPA2277P / PA
LT1364
LT1361
LT1057
LT1358
LT1124
Audio GD EARTH.

:xf_eek:

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #1,697 of 5,721
Yes, there are a few that are using the discrete opamps and have been using them for along time. They offer a more analog sound to the STX/ST...

There is no perfect set of opamps. Well all have different tastes and while some of us use very similar opamps setup some of us always use very different configurations.
This is the great thing about opamps, you can dial in your own soudn with a little patience and experimentation.

Apr 30, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #1,698 of 5,721
Yes, I've read a lot of favorable opinions on the LME4927HA's in adapters. I may go that way yet if I get ambitious enough to do the soldering (don't have the proper tools or experience) or find some already made.
For now I will stick with ready-to-go DIP8's though.

I got the NA's yesterday and listened to them in the I/V position last night w/ a JRC in the buffer. My first impressions were positive, but as I listened more I think my criticisms fall in line with some other's. The highs are pretty nice, but might be enhanced a bit too much. They are really close to being great, but seem to be just over the edge. I could probably live with it if I had to, but since I don't have to...
Listening critically I can hear how the mids are pushed back a bit, they aren't quite as prominent. The added highs kind of cover that up at first, but as I kept listening it was more apparent. The midrange that is there sounds nice and clean, but somewhere in the upper midrange I hear a hole?
The bass is OK, they seem to knock out a lot of the "meat", but still get good extension...I hear the sub-bass notes, but that 50-70hz range seems a little lighter than I'm used to. Again, I could live with it if I didn't have a choice.

If I could dial back the highs of the NA's some, get a bit more midrange "squizzle" going and if possible bring back the meat of the bass without over-doing it I could be quite happy. Pretty much what I thought I'd be looking for, though I have to admit I would be satisfied with the sound if there were no other choice. I'd probably just make up for what I'm looking for by rolling tubes again.

And yes, I totally understand that we all have different tastes and different equipment. I'm just trying to shorten my roll a bit to save some time (and more importantly money!) by making some educated guessing based on the experiences of others.
I spent an embarrassing amount of money and time on 12AT7's in my rig and I'm trying not to take opamps to that extreme!

May 1, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #1,699 of 5,721
i had similar experience with LME49720NA as you. i found it very tiresome in the long run. there is nothing neutral or natural about its anemic bass, and overall it sounds sterile, grainy, tilted towards highs and artificial at times. it may work with bass heavy and less resolving headphones but it didn't do it for me.

it's possible 720NA is not showing its best in the STX circuitry but in case you're not going to experiment with it in other unit, you might as well put it in the drawer, or sell it.

May 1, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #1,703 of 5,721
Yeah, the NA's don't really do it for me. I spent some hours last night, tried a couple different preamp tubes/etc..The highs are tolerable but the bass is just wrong. It's not so much the apparent reduced level as the way it's got this boomy peak at the very bottom register.

I've got a healthy number of the more popular DIP-8's making their way to me from different directions. Thank you OverDrive for summing up your recommendations like that. I have some OPA2137P on the way due to this!
ROBSCIX, I've read that you've mounted some HA's for people I think. Is that something you normally do for people as a service? Or just for people you know better than a guy like me with all of 3 or 4 posts
smily_headphones1.gif
Though I think a guy at my work could be convinced to do the soldering for me if I get the parts together.

I think it'd be nice to get peoples "final" conclusions on which ones they personally like summed up a little better somewhere. I guess the first post is edited recently to reflect some of this already. I do know that reading through all the posts from beginning to end is way too much to consume and keep straight.

Would be cool if something showed up today and I could swap things around already! Waiting for something to be delivered is one of my all time disliked activities.

May 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #1,705 of 5,721
I have pretty much settled for the OPA2228P in the I/V slots and the OPA2107AP in the buffer slot. Sounds fantastic to me.

May 1, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #1,707 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by levlhed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stoutblock, I'll end up trying that config I'm sure.
RicHSAD, are those both DIP8?

Yes, no adapters needed.

May 2, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #1,709 of 5,721
Hey guys, I use a pair of K701s with the STX and I find the sound to be too cold, so I'm looking for opamps that can make the sound a lot warmer. Especially in the midrange, I want it to sound more forward and more full-bodied.

I see that ROBSCIX recommended OPA2134, OPA827's, OPA2132, OPA2227 earlier in the thread, but what are the differences between them? Or are there other choices?

I use an external amp --> k701 through the STX's line out, so I need to change only one opamp, the "buffer" opamp?

Sorry I'm a complete noob at opamp rolling, thanks in advance!

May 2, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #1,710 of 5,721
Using the line out, both opamp sections are part of the signal path. Buffer and I/V. From what I've read (not had the chance to try them myself) the Texas Instruments Burr Brown ones typically have a "warmer" character.
If I were you I'd go back and write down the ones that people seem to like, jump through the hoops to get "signed up" on TI's site, and get a couple of each on their way to you as free samples. You should be able to narrow down the choices based on what others have written and just go from there based on your own ears/equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back