The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Apr 18, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #1,666 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by forciano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my ST with an amp and I love it. Getting an amp makes more sense IMO...

have you tried the headphone output versus the line out output?

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #1,667 of 5,721
You will find many are just using the DAC on the ST(X) cards as the DAC is very high quality. The headphone output is actually of lower quality then the line output.
Many also have their favorite amplifiers already so they just use them.

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #1,668 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's hard to believe that ST/STX could draw 25W. it should be significantly less, but i didn't do any measurements. maybe someone else did and will share with others. and yeah, 150W, that's just silly
smily_headphones1.gif

I think it is too. I think perhaps that the person i was talking to was answering the question "What is the minimum power supply i should buy with this sound card?"

Since i'm throwing this card in with a atom based board, power requirements are an issue. I'd like to keep them low.

I'd love to know what the card draws though. Asus seemed confused by the question. You'd think "How much does x component use" would be a common question from system builders. However, i was told that the H6 drew no power from the pci-e slot (it's a 1x for what that matters) and got it's power from the ST.

I'm still new to all this opamp stuff. Suppose i want to get some LME49860s for my ST. Would i get the LME49860MA/NOPB, LME49860MAX/NOPB or the LME49860NA/NOPB? Which would need adapters and which would not (and why). Would an given opamp work just as well in the I/V or the buffer (not musical preference wise, but board stability)?

Is a given opamp going to affect the power-draw significantly?

Does anyone know what opamps the H6 takes and in what positions?

If no one answers the h6 question i'll call Asus on Monday and post their answers here.

Thanks for your patience folks.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #1,669 of 5,721
The H6 is connected to the ST by the ribbon cable, this is where it draws the power from. The H6 has a PCI-X1 interface but there are no tracing on the interface it is just so the card has a support.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #1,670 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will find many are just using the DAC on the ST(X) cards as the DAC is very high quality. The headphone output is actually of lower quality then the line output.
Many also have their favorite amplifiers already so they just use them.

So using line out (which bypasses the cards built in amp right?) with an external amp will sound about on par with a USB DAC + amp?

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #1,671 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The H6 is connected to the ST by the ribbon cable, this is where it draws the power from. The H6 has a PCI-X1 interface but there are no tracing on the interface it is just so the card has a support.

So i could just attach it to a card bracket in my case that was not being used (didn't have a slot under it) and not use up a pcie slot at all?

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #1,672 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fakeyfakerson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So using line out (which bypasses the cards built in amp right?) with an external amp will sound about on par with a USB DAC + amp?

Yes, when in line out mode, the headphones amplifer is bypassed. As for your USB DAC+Amp question....can't really answer that one. Not sure what unit your talking about.

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #1,673 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearcatsandor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i could just attach it to a card bracket in my case that was not being used (didn't have a slot under it) and not use up a pcie slot at all?

Yes, you don't need to have the interface stuck in a slot, just helps for bracing the card. You can put the card in whatever slot you want or no slot.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #1,674 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by niCe99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you tried the headphone output versus the line out output?

Robscix already gave some insight on this. But I use the line out (check my signature), when i want to use dolby headphone then i switch to the headphone amp, and leave at 0 gain.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #1,676 of 5,721
forciano
Hello! I've ordered OPA627BP, AD747BRZ and LME49710HA for buffer... Now I have LME49720NA in I/V, and I'll try OPA627AU in I/V later.
I'm interesting, how OPA827 sounds compare to OPA627? Is it more neutral? Can you describe this opamp a little?

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #1,677 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingFiercer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
forciano
Hello! I've ordered OPA627BP, AD747BRZ and LME49710HA for buffer... Now I have LME49720NA in I/V, and I'll try OPA627AU in I/V later.
I'm interesting, how OPA827 sounds compare to OPA627? Is it more neutral? Can you describe this opamp a little?

I have not tried the OPA627's yet, perhaps Robscix or someone else can help you on that.

All i have read so far indicates they are very similar soundwise.

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #1,678 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearcatsandor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still new to all this opamp stuff. Suppose i want to get some LME49860s for my ST. Would i get the LME49860MA/NOPB, LME49860MAX/NOPB or the LME49860NA/NOPB?

you should be looking for dual DIP op-amps in case you don't want to use adapters. that is LME49860NA.

Quote:

Would an given opamp work just as well in the I/V or the buffer (not musical preference wise, but board stability)?

i think there were reports of people saying some op-amps were working fine at buffer but not at I/V (or vice versa, can't remember now). there are people that can tell by looking at specs of op-amps whether it's going to be stable in certain circuit, but i'm not one of them
normal_smile .gif

Quote:

Is a given opamp going to affect the power-draw significantly?

it shouldn't given it is stable.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #1,679 of 5,721
Hey ROBSCIX,

I have a Sennheiser HD800 sound card since August, and I don't have a dedicated amplifier. I owned a couple of LME49720NAs and LM6172, along with the Xonar Essence STX.

I had been trying 2 X LME49720NA and 2 x LM6172, and I think non of them suit my taste, I think the treble is too high and the bass is too weak

(Yeah I have set my sound card to output 300 - 600 Ohm range)

Do you have any tips for me? Should I get a dedicated amplifier? I'm a beginner but I refuse to deal with tube amplifier though just because I don't have the space, and the patience to cook it everytime I want to listen something.

(hell I might as well as leave the tube amplifier run 24/7 LOL, as my PC is running 24/7 non stop, not even sleep)

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #1,680 of 5,721
Checkmated
Now I'm using M^3 amplifier with HD 600, and same setup - 2xLME49720NA+LM6172IN.
Sound is VERY nice, good bass, smooth treble, in general, the sound is soft and very pleasant. Really good sound for this cheap opamp.
From headphone out 49720 sounds sharpy and a little bass-light, sound of 6172 in HP-out is terrible, imho.
Use external amplifier with your HD800! Will be a huge difference, and finally appears SOUND.

P.S.: Modes 64-300 and 300-600 have more wearying bass and trebble compared to 0-64 mode. Check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back