The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Mar 21, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #1,606 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are not "speaker outputs" they are line-level outputs. They are meant to be connected to a preamp or a power amplifer. You can drive some headphones straight form the output sure.
You can still change the opamps even if you are using the line outs.
All 3 can be changed when using the line outputs.

Thanks for answering my question. Having said that what opamps would you recommend to make the sound a lot warmer? It sounds way too harsh at the moment even though my amp is quite warm sounding (Meier Corda Headfive).

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #1,607 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromacro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the line-out of the STX fed to a Meier Corda Head five amp [..] the sound is way too harsh.

that's what a sub-par amp and an agressive digitis soundcard do...you could try getting a better amp and modding your card: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/as...dified-478473/

I've owned the Corda Arietta and the ST/STX btw
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #1,608 of 5,721
Quote:

Thanks for answering my question. Having said that what opamps would you recommend to make the sound a lot warmer? It sounds way too harsh at the moment even though my amp is quite warm sounding (Meier Corda Headfive).

I find many of the Burr-Brown units are quite warm. Units such as the OPA2134, OPA827's, OPA2132..etc. You might want to start with a couple of the Burr-Brown units and test them out to see if you are getting closer to what your after. It really dpends on what you are looking for and what you hear right now. Some perceive the STX and ST as warm and other perceive them as bright. Your external gear also plays a part in the equation.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #1,609 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManuLM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there,

One point i find strange, I would like your feedback here: have you ever used volume beyond 50% ? As soon as I do it, I have clipped samples resulting in a scratch. Is this related to the max input of my speakers ?

anybody has a clue abt that ?

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #1,610 of 5,721
no takers on my questions? i'm still trying to figure out QT and windows audio settings. and whether an external CMOY amp would be redundant with this card. any help, or even link to an existing thread would be much appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cschiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've done my best to search through this thread, but i've still got a couple of standing questions:

1. don't care too much about asio or bit-matching. for simplicity i will be using itunes. under quicktime preferences for "play audio using," windows audio session is grayed out (due to my OS = W7 64-bit, if i've read up correctly), which means i've got to choose "safe mode" or "direct sound." does it matter? why the hell is it grayed out in the first place?
2. am i correct to assume that QT sound out should match windows default format as well as xonar audio center settings? for me it would be 24-bit, 44.1kHz, stereo.
3. exclusive mode in windows? yes/no on one or both check boxes?
4. i understand that for low impedance headphones, the ST built-in amp ain't all that great. i have a CMOY portable amp coming in the mail. will the CMOY amp be of ANY benefit for my headphone out or for my line out to speakers for that matter? or will it just be redundant and make things worse? speakers are klipsch 2.1s and i've got a pair of grado rs1i's.

thanks in advance guys.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #1,611 of 5,721
Does anyone know how you get national semiconductor to send a sample to students?

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #1,614 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find many of the Burr-Brown units are quite warm. Units such as the OPA2134, OPA827's, OPA2132..etc. You might want to start with a couple of the Burr-Brown units and test them out to see if you are getting closer to what your after. It really dpends on what you are looking for and what you hear right now. Some perceive the STX and ST as warm and other perceive them as bright. Your external gear also plays a part in the equation.

sorry for my lack of knowledge, but you only need the change one opamp (buffer opamp) for the line-out am I correct? And the ones you recommended would work just fine to replace it?

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #1,615 of 5,721
Quote:

sorry for my lack of knowledge, but you only need the change one opamp (buffer opamp) for the line-out am I correct? And the ones you recommended would work just fine to replace it?

No, for the line out you can change all three opamps.
The JRC2114D are your differential input I/V converters. The LME4562NA is your single ended buffer.

When you use the line out all three opamps are in use. When you switch to headphone mode the LM4562NA is replaced by the TPA6120A2 headphones amplifer chip.
So if you are using headphone output you only need to change the I/V opamps.
simply,
For line out you can change all three
For head out you only change the back two because the single ended buffer is not being used the can amp chip is.

Don't worry about the questions, we all learn by asking questions. If you have any more questions post them somebody will answer you if they can.

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #1,617 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManuLM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anybody has a clue abt that ?

When you use your card with anything beyond 50% you get trouble?
Are you using just the line outs or the amplified headphones output?
I have to ask as I have seen people use this to drive their amplifiers.

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #1,618 of 5,721
Mar 26, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #1,619 of 5,721
I swear last week, I was at Fry's checking out this Asus product so I can have a sound card/headphone amp in my rig. All was good, but at $200 I figured I'd go online. All was good at the time, I was just spending the last week doing research and everything pointed to this being the card to get. So I go to Fry's today to give it a final look over, but they were out. No problem since I was going to buy it online anyway, but the most popular stores (Amazon and using Bing Cashback stores) are all out of them.

Is there a new model in the works?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back