The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Mar 9, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #1,563 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about STX and ST combo? lol

I ran this test couple weeks ago. Here are the details.
(STEP 1) Install ST card into my Win7 PC.
(STEP 2) Load driver and Xonar Audio Center SW for ST.
(STEP 3) Launch the Xonar ST Audio Center, everything working fine.
(STEP 4) Install STX card into same PC.
(STEP 5) Load driver and Xonar Audio Center SW for STX.
(STEP 6) Launch the Xonar STX Audio Center, everything working fine.
(STEP 7) Try to launch the Xonar ST Audio Center, the Xonar STX Audio Center always come up.

The conclusion is ASUS does not expect you to install both ST and STX into same PC.

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #1,565 of 5,721
After reading a lot of forum pages, I came to the conclusion that I should only purchase LME49710HA to existing favorite LME49720NA in I/V, and I'll get excellent sound quality in the line-out.
smily_headphones1.gif

OPA627, as I understand, have a softer sound, but I like strong and heavy music, so I think do not even try them.

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #1,566 of 5,721
I'm having problems installing drivers for the STX. I have windows 7 installing 32bit drivers for it.

Problems:
1. When agreeing to terms at beginning of installation all characters are in ??? marks
2. Installation gets stuck when progress bar is all the way to the end.

Can anybody help?

Edit: Fixed the problem :p

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #1,567 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ran this test couple weeks ago. Here are the details.
(STEP 1) Install ST card into my Win7 PC.
(STEP 2) Load driver and Xonar Audio Center SW for ST.
(STEP 3) Launch the Xonar ST Audio Center, everything working fine.
(STEP 4) Install STX card into same PC.
(STEP 5) Load driver and Xonar Audio Center SW for STX.
(STEP 6) Launch the Xonar STX Audio Center, everything working fine.
(STEP 7) Try to launch the Xonar ST Audio Center, the Xonar STX Audio Center always come up.

The conclusion is ASUS does not expect you to install both ST and STX into same PC.

Thanks.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #1,568 of 5,721
Just tried a few op amps and settled on the 49720HA's on adapters in the IV and the one of the stock JRE's in the buffer. Sounds great....

Also tried different combinations with OPA2227 and OPA2137P, and finally LM6172IN. Couldn't get it to sound quite right. The 49720HA's in the IV with the OPA2227 in the buffer was second best, but there was something weird with the 4kHz range.

Not sure if anyone else experienced this, but regardless of where I put the OPA2137P's it got distortion as soon as I started to turn up the line level a bit (definitely not over doing it). Tried a different OPA2137P just in case it was a defect. Same thing... Didn't have this problem with any of the other op amps.

Good luck... I'm happy for now!

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #1,569 of 5,721
I just tried switching out the LM4562 with the LT1364 in the buffer and keeping the stock JRC's in the IV, bad combo with my AD900's, the vocals were brought out too much especially the male vocals, there was extreme sibilance in the male vocals, I had to put the stock LM4562 back after just an hour because I couldn't stand it.

There were some things I did like about it though, like the OPA series of opamps (opa2228, opa2604 etc) the LT1364 has toned down treble compared to the LM4562 but unlike the OPA's there was no loss in detail, so if you're a detail freak that wants to tone down their treble the LT1364 is a good thing to consider.

Another thing I liked is the soundstage, with the LM4562 music always sounds like it's coming from behind me or from the side, with the LT1364 music was coming from the back, the sides as well as the front, the soundstage wasn't as wide however so it's kind of a trade off, overall I preferred the LT1364's SS for making me feel like I'm more surrounded by music.

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #1,571 of 5,721
Mar 11, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #1,573 of 5,721
For the STX users still following the thread:

Did you try any high-impedance headphones? Did you notice any improvement when using them?

The guy from xbit-labs mentioned by the end of his review that he expected the sound to be better with a higher-impedance headphone, but didn't test it.

Say you have a 32ohm headphone, would it be worth to increase the impedance using a mod like this:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/mak...r-cable-28100/

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #1,574 of 5,721
Many around here use high impedance headphones. This is why some bought the card because the can amp supports phones up to 600 ohm in impedance.
For many can amplifiers, their distortion measurments can vary as a function of impedance. If you understand what I mean..

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #1,575 of 5,721
I was looking for a more "practical" answer. Looking at a table of Distortion VS impedance doesn't say much about sound quality unless you are some kind of sound engineer or extremely experienced.

But thanks anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back