The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Feb 16, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #1,471 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your using the headphones amplifer you only have to change the I/V opamp pair. The buffer opamps is used only for the line output.
Make sure you order LME49720NA, the NA - DIP8...any other model and you will have to use adapters. Many liek the HA models but you have to use adapters with them but TO-99 metal can opamps are usually the highest grade of any opamp family.
Good luck on your tests.

I have already in my hands the HA ones but didn't know i could use them with adapter :p Thank you for your advice!
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #1,472 of 5,722
Anyone know why when I use WASAPI in Foobar through the S/PDIF, I still hear other sounds passed through the coax cable? Game sounds, windows sound, though very faint, are all still being passed through the digital out. Quite annoying
frown.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #1,476 of 5,722
Quote:

Hey guys, I have confirmed with the powers that be at ASUS that they will be releasing a new and improved driver set the the public for the STX/ST.

Yes, they will provide "bit perfect" output.

These new drivers are low latency and based on what I have seen they provide some very impressive numbers in comparison to previous releases.

While still in early Beta stage they provide what some of you have been after, using ASIO to acheive bit perfect output. There are a few other details the you might find interesting about the driver but I don't want to release all the surprises...

Stay tuned for more information and updates.

Hi Rob,

I don't suppose you could ask them if they plan to develop dvr binaries (read: closed) for ALSA on GNU/Linux?

I would be most grateful!

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #1,477 of 5,722
@Boj, the drivers seems good but they are still considered early Beta as far as the community is concerned. They do allow bit perfect auto sample rate audio using ASIO...
I will check for a ETA.
@Jalyst. I can mention it.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #1,478 of 5,722
Is there a meaning to put 24 bit rate in windows 7 panel?Because Asus doesn't show this option in their control panel.I only see the sample rate.And i see that the card works in shared and exclusive mode meaning when used by an app like winamp,foobar,the app takes control of the card and changes the sample rate accordingly so i think that the manual setting isn't necessary.Anyone knows for sure?

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #1,479 of 5,722
i set it to 24-bit in foobar and don't bother with it anymore. digital volume attenuation will eat up some of the bit depth, so no point in keeping it at 16-bit. 16->24bit is not a destructive process as sample rate conversion can be, so no worries.

technical guys, correct me if i'm wrong.

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #1,480 of 5,722
2x LME49720NA.
Detailed sound, transperent and leaky bass, good treble.
Not enough bass for me... Too sterile, the sound eventually wearies.

2X LM6172IN.
More bass than 49720, but it sound unnaturally. Middle is smooth = weak guitar drive. Deaf treble, less beautiful... Narrow soundstage felt unnatural...

Then I started to try the Line-Out with my 300-ohms cans...

2x LME49720NA + LM4562 = not good
2x LME49720NA + JRC2114D = better, sound like 2x49720, but with more dense and strong bass.
2x LME49720NA + LM6172IN = 2x LME49720NA, but not dry and more volume bass, nice smooth treble, altogether more living and nice sound. Soundstage sounds cool - sounds are flying around... =) With external amplifier this will sound better, IMHO. =)

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #1,481 of 5,722
Hi everybody.
Is anyone know, how manner the gain ranges of headphones amplifier is changing in real?
Is it realize in driver by software or by DAC built-in attenuator, or by TPA6120A2 gain changing with relay switching? Or any one else?
Thanks a lot for answer.

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #1,483 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by glingrem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everybody.
Is anyone know, how manner the gain ranges of headphones amplifier is changing in real?
Is it realize in driver by software or by DAC built-in attenuator, or by TPA6120A2 gain changing with relay switching? Or any one else?
Thanks a lot for answer.

The gain ranges are changing on the amplifier chip itself.

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #1,484 of 5,722
Quote:

The gain ranges are changing on the amplifier chip itself.

Hi, ROBSCIX.
Thank You for answer.
Are You aware the typical schematic diagram of TPA6120A2?
Does your message mean that the amplification factor is changing by switching of feedback resistors by relay?

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #1,485 of 5,722
They don't use normal relays. I have not traced out the circuit myself. I have seen a few designs that use jumpers to set gain ranges, the STX/ST use a software switch... They may have solid state relays doing the switching, there are various ways the circuit could be controlled.
It is hard to guess at it without actually tracing out the circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back