The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Dec 23, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #1,141 of 5,722
yes, my bad, it's ST on the cover. John Atkinson wrote he mostly listened to STX, measurements were taken on STX as well. he mentioned ST measured worse than STX, but didn't make comment on ST sounding better than STX. maybe he should have listened more to the former.

i think they finally realized what year it is, lately they have been giving a PC audio an attention it deserves.

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #1,142 of 5,722
I just read the article. The author mentions that the only difference he could find between the two cards was that one was PCI and one was PCI-E. No mention was made of the H6 add on card for the ST or its auto clock tuning to reduce jitter.

He installed the cards in two different computers with different hardware and operating systems. The ST was in the "older PC" computer with XP SP3. The STX was tested in a new computer with Vista Home Premium. With different power supplies, motherboards, etc. it is no wonder that the measurements are different.

He mentioned twice that the cards cannot play 88.2 or 176.4 without resampling. He says at the end of the article, "However, given the increasing number of high quality files being offered for download with sample rates of 88.2 or 176.4kHz, their omission is a major impediment to my giving either of these cards a universal recommendation." Maybe Asus or C-Media will provide these sample rates without resampling in the future.

The author had trouble with 96 and 192 kHz files being resampled down to 48 kHz. However, I think he didn't understand how to set the correct rate in Vista or use WASAPI exclusive mode. He did say he contacted Asus about it but didn't get a reply by press time.

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #1,143 of 5,722
I've never been able to play 192kHz on XP in KS...all it did was outputting very noisy sound, whatever rate I set in the drivers...yes these cards are a resampling nonsense on windows, I wonder how they'd sound on Linux
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #1,144 of 5,722
Just installed the OPA2137P's in the I/V slots... the difference is not major (obviously) but I do feel a bit fuller sound in the lower end.. I think the card has lots some of its agressiveness and is much more balanced now which is what I wanted...

Going to need more time with it obviously but .. I definetly like this combo!

Dec 23, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #1,146 of 5,722
Oh yes
smily_headphones1.gif

After a few more hours of listening, I'm convinced this is a magical mix. Now, this is using the line-outs to the audioengine A5's so thats what I'm talkign about, no headphones or anything, but wow... yeah baby!

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #1,149 of 5,722
I found the stock LM4562 too sharp in the middle, even with non-bright headphones Beyerdinamic DT 250... I think to try the combination of 1x LME49720NA and 2x OPA2137P (good, they are cheap).
I want to get the same elastic tight bass, as with the LM4562, but with unpainted middle, not cutting the ears at an acceptable volume. What do you think, I'll get it with them? =)

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #1,151 of 5,722
I have a question, will leaving on the DS3D GX DSP effect have any affect on my music or anything else, or will it only be activated when I start up a game? Just wondering since I sometimes forget to turn it on when I first launch a game, would be easier to leave it on all the time.

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #1,153 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by stoutblock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is the differance between the LT1057CN8 and the LT1057ACN8?

"A" is a higher grade, and "I" has better thermal specs(always useful in a PC case
wink_face.gif
)

try LT1211ACN8, it's good stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #1,154 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"A" is a higher grade, and "I" has better thermal specs(always useful in a PC case
wink_face.gif
)

try LT1211ACN8, it's good stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, try the LT1211ACN8 in the I/V or buffer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back