The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Dec 20, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #1,111 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by manuvajpai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like somebody loves Linear Technology a lot!

You speakers appear to be very bass oriented. Either of those will work fine for you for that reason. If you find the highs to be a bit piercing then I think LT1358 will be a good choice because of it's slight roll-off in the top-end.

If you are satisfied with the highs then either of the LMEs or LT1364 will be more suited for you. I have compared the signature of LT1364 and LM4562 (which I guess are the same as LME49720NA, someone please back me up here) and found that LM4562 is a bit bass light in comparison. If you are satisfied with the bass currently then LT1364 (if brightness is fine) or LT1358 (if current setup too bright) would be my recommendations.

These are the op-amps I have tried and my recommendations are limited to them. Look out for other suggestions which will give you enough qualitative assessment of your choices.

PS - This post will give you a good comparison between these op-amps. If you ask me to guess I'll say that your speakers are going to be similar to DT990.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3764631-post1502.html

It's true indeed that my speakers are bass-oriented, and that's why I don't put much emphasis on bass. I'm looking for brighter/airier opamps to balance things out.

Again, thanks for your kind advice :)

BTW, how would you describe your current setup with 1364 and 1358s?

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #1,112 of 5,721
I use the setup with both the HP out and line-out to drive my low-power headphones. The line-out is considerably airier and the HP-out is a tad warm. Bass and mids are slightly pushed up in HP-out which works brilliantly for vocals, but for rock and classical the line-out sounds more balanced. I would say the line-out would be perfect for you, unless you want to reduce the bass a lot more. In that case I suggest that you keep LM4562 as the buffer, instead of LT1364. Both are almost equally airy (didn't compare a lot after noticing the bass difference).

Compared to stock there is a lot more detail and definition. While the soundstage of stock was pretty wide, the depth and instrument separation were missing. It all sounded two dimensional with stock JRCs. With any other good op-amp you'll notice a major difference.

The reason why I chose LT is because of free samples so no bias here
biggrin.gif
. You may as well try others.

Glad I could be of help.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #1,113 of 5,721
On another note, I checked out my el-cheapo sony component system with the line-out. The sony itself is a bit polite in the trebles and mids. You can think of it as a HD650 in terms of signature (you know you belong here when you judge speakers based on headphones
biggrin.gif
).

Turns out that the current setup doesn't make it any more eager, coming from the line-out. The decay is slow and the sound makes it appear like the listener is on heroine. So it appears that my current setup is somewhere between laid-back and neutral. In other words, PRAT = fail! This will be an issue with computer speakers as well because of their boomy bass and lethargic response. If you want more aggressiveness then this setup is not the best option. In the end it depends on your speakers and your listening preferences.

I tested at medium-low volume levels on the component system. Things do improve on pumping it up but then it can get too loud for my preference, since the speakers are kept on my desk. Since your's are computer speakers I am guessing you are using them in near-field configuration too, so you will be keeping the volume in the same territory.

Stupid component system! Tried other op-amps with the same result.

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #1,115 of 5,721
OPA2132? You are gonna see a huge change! If you are choosing LME after Burr brown then you are basically doing a complete flip in terms of sound signature. In fact if you look at the signature of LME49720 in a mirror you are gonna see that it has transformed into an OPA
atsmile.gif

Edit: Confirmed! LME49720 buffer + 2*LT1364 = super detailed and smooth mids and highs once you adjust to the slightly bright/bass-shy setup. Not so good out of the HP amp with 2*LT1364.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #1,116 of 5,721
The OPAs are there just because they were once popular in the sneak peak thread half a year back when the card was just freshly released. The 2132 gained much attention at that time and I haven't visited the forum since then.

Although your verdict [super detailed and smooth mids and highs ...] sounds very intriguing, I'd hold my pocket until the ordered items arrive. Since a pair of LT1364 costs 26 bucks plus 5 shipping bucks (as far as I searched eBay), so unless the LT1358s are so unimpressive, which I think they aren't, I'll stick with them. (A pair of 1358's costs 8 dollars plus 4 dollars for shipping)

Thanks again for everything so far :)

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #1,118 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by manuvajpai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like somebody loves Linear Technology a lot!

not really, as someone said on diyaudio: The best sounding audio integrated opamps - Page 22 - diyAudio

the LT chips were not meant for audio, they were all flawed in my book...and I don't like dual op-amps anyway, the center channel is shrunk down to death...singles on browndogs FTW:

then LT1028ACN8 sounds quite nice
happy_face1.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #1,121 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by exFictitiouZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although your verdict [super detailed and smooth mids and highs ...] sounds very intriguing, I'd hold my pocket until the ordered items arrive. Since a pair of LT1364 costs 26 bucks plus 5 shipping bucks (as far as I searched eBay), so unless the LT1358s are so unimpressive, which I think they aren't, I'll stick with them. (A pair of 1358's costs 8 dollars plus 4 dollars for shipping)

I guess you'll get a very good setup with 1*LT1358 buffer and 2*LME49720 in I/V as well. 3 LMEs will get bass light (might be great for your speakers).

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #1,122 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
be glad you didn't kill your card!

yes, and too bad it's so complicated to get infos on these jrc while lm4562 datasheet is so easily available as others, should have been more carefull. there's always a first time. Besides, everything's ok now with stock back.
I'm wondering if there's enough room on the stx to mount 4xLT1028with adaptors.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #1,125 of 5,721
The JRC 2114D are a generic opamp, this is why it is hard to find the spec sheet.
JRC is New Japan Radio company IIRC. If you look up their site you shoudl be able to find the spcification sheets for the 2114D's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back