The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 21, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #5,656 of 5,721
@Moses4188, I would try OPA1612 in I/V and LPF, but also LME49720/LM4562 in I/V and LPF as well. Based on http://nihtila.com/2017/01/08/pcm1794a-output-stage-opamp-measurements-lm4562-ne5532-and-opa2134/:
"The best solution is to use NE5532 in I/V-stage and LM4562 in differential amplifier as it gives almost identical performance to all-LM4562 implementation".

If DAC implementation is a very good one and the PCB layout is very good too, then with cheap opamps we can achieve lowest THD+N and a neutral sound.

Aug 11, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #5,658 of 5,721
Hello dear friends

I have been using for a couple of years 3X AD797BR opamps on my asus xonar essence st (of course on a dual to mono soic adaptor) being gratly satisfied until i tried the opa1622 opamp. I've been greatly impressed! Currently I have only one on the buffer stage keeping my ad797br's on the IV section.

I'm thinking of purchasing two more opa1622 for the IV stage but I also study the case of trying a FOX LAB NT-D1 discrete op amp on the buffer stage as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOX-Lab-NT...564395?hash=item1cd45721eb:g:GM8AAOSwK-NbaBES

Do you have any experience on the FOX LAB NT-D1 discrete op amp? I cannot find any reviews anywhere... For the people that might suggest Burson, I'd say that I'm not willing to spent the amount for them as a personal decision.

I thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #5,659 of 5,721
Hi.

I've been thinking about picking this up again. I had this card many years ago with stock op amps driving some HD650's and I wasn't that impressed back then from what I can remember. At the moment I have a Chord Mojo and some Nighthawks. They don't get much use so I am thinking of selling them and replacing them with a soundcard. I currently have some Denon AH-D1001 (Creatives Aurvana's) which are 32 Ohms. I currently have a Xonar DG powering these and the Xonar isn't too bad for a cheap Soundcard.

I've read the headphone amp of the Essense ST is a real weak point. How will it drive the Denon AH-D1001's? I've heard low ohm headphones can be distorted with the Essence ST. If I get the Essence it will also be sat next to a graphics card. Will this be a problem? My PSU is very very good quality.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #5,660 of 5,721
Hi.
I've been thinking about picking this up again. I had this card many years ago with stock op amps driving some HD650's and I wasn't that impressed back then from what I can remember. At the moment I have a Chord Mojo and some Nighthawks. They don't get much use so I am thinking of selling them and replacing them with a soundcard. I currently have some Denon AH-D1001 (Creatives Aurvana's) which are 32 Ohms. I currently have a Xonar DG powering these and the Xonar isn't too bad for a cheap Sound card. I've read the headphone amp of the Essence ST is a real weak point. How will it drive the Denon AH-D1001's? I've heard low ohm headphones can be distorted with the Essence ST. If I get the Essence it will also be sat next to a graphics card. Will this be a problem? My PSU is very very good quality. Cheers.
I would not call the Asus Xonar Essence ST's head amp the weak point (in general), no problem driving 250-ohm headphones.
The Essence ST's headphone jack has an output impedance of 10-Ohm, not the best choice for driving 32-Ohm headphones, as it might cause a (slightly) bloated bass.
Why getting another sound card?
Do you need the features of a sound card?
Otherwise an external DAC/amp might be a better choice.

Dec 1, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #5,661 of 5,721
I would not call the Asus Xonar Essence ST's head amp the weak point (in general), no problem driving 250-ohm headphones.
The Essence ST's headphone jack has an output impedance of 10-Ohm, not the best choice for driving 32-Ohm headphones, as it might cause a (slightly) bloated bass.
Why getting another sound card?
Do you need the features of a sound card?
Otherwise an external DAC/amp might be a better choice.

I had a snipe set up on a Essence but pulled it at the last minute. I've decided to keep my Mojo and Nighthawk cans as the sound is just too good. I also find the Denons that I was going to use with the Essence a little fatiguing whereas the Nighthawks are perfect for my ears.

Cheers.

Jan 10, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #5,662 of 5,721
I haven't used my Xonar ST in a long time now, It's PCI and I haven't used PCI mobos for a long time(should have gone for the STX). Anyway, just for fun I built together a simple box with the last PCI mobo I had in the closet a Asus Z87 and other leftover parts. Using a 4790K and 16GB 2133MHz DDR3. I will get back to how it sounds compared to more modern stuff, here is the "leftover parts" build. Can it sound good, one wonders, way more bulky than a desktop DAC anyway :)

edit. I would say it sounds good, not as resolving as my audio interfaces, but I think it do sound better than the built in DAC in my A/V-receiver. The ESS 9006s in the receiver can sound a bit harsh. Xonar ST has the upper hand here, as it's buttery smooth and even has more impact/slam than the ESS DACs. One noteworthy thing is the sound became a whole lot better when I turned on Exclusive Mode in Tidal. The Asus(Uni) drivers doesn't seem to like the Windows mixer much. Otherwise, it works pretty flawless with the Uni-drivers. I choose the most stable version, 1.75 something. It has no prolems with the latest Windows 1909 as far as I can tell. I'm currently using three identical LME4562NA/NOPB I got directly from National Semiconductor. The original single 4562 is removed. I like them, I ran LME49990 when I last used the ST. I remember 49990 as high resolving, but the 4562/NOPBs has more body and sound warmer. From what I can recall I preferred that at the time.

20200110_152342.jpg

20200110_161611.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #5,663 of 5,721
First. 6 years ago i only changed the buffer op amp from stock to ad823anz. mostly im using speakers via rca for listening. does changing it alone improves the SQ? or do I also need to change the stock iv?

Second. if considering to replace since I bought a lot of different op amps. is it ok to change the iv to unpaired op amps?

Third. also for an upgrade im leaning towards burson op amps maybe v6 vivid? or combination of what is better? i do prefer warm sound signature

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #5,664 of 5,721
For those curious, don't buy direct from Burson Audio for Burson Op-Amps... Their postal service is all over the place. I ordered 3 V6 vivids through their site special offer and that was almost a month ago. They had to change courier and as a result, it went into Singapore post on the 7th and hasn't updated since (ordered at the end of March). I've asked for a refund after giving them the benefit of the doubt on my last communication with them.

Now I've not heard back from Burson... So I guess I just threw away $170.

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #5,665 of 5,721
For those curious, don't buy direct from Burson Audio for Burson Op-Amps... Their postal service is all over the place. I ordered 3 V6 vivids through their site special offer and that was almost a month ago. They had to change courier and as a result, it went into Singapore post on the 7th and hasn't updated since (ordered at the end of March). I've asked for a refund after giving them the benefit of the doubt on my last communication with them.

Now I've not heard back from Burson... So I guess I just threw away $170.

I had issues with them also. First they sent me only 1 op amp when I'd ordered two. Then they send me two additional op amps giving me a total of 3. I ended up just keeping the third and installing it in my STX II card and they offered me a discounted price on the third since I didnt ask for it. I was only going to buy two since I mainly use headphones with the card, but having the third made it so if I ever connected speakers I would get the benefit. Worked out because I now have some Pioneer DM40 monitors connected to it. Don't give up hope, they are slow when it's normal.... with COVID-19 popping off I'm sure they are even worse. Best of luck to you....

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #5,667 of 5,721
That's definitely due to COVID-19 thing, just give'em an email and talk to them.

I've been in comms with them, credit where credit is due, they've been great thus far. I've stated that as long as there is an update to tracking, not even delivery, just an update then I will extend my request for a refund another 2 weeks. But it's not looking like an update will happen. Which means it's almost 4 weeks since the last update on the tracking.

They did state this has been an issue for them and I'm not the only one struggling right now with their postal setup.

It's super annoying as I can't find any suppliers in stock here in the states.

Apr 24, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #5,668 of 5,721
I'd like to give an update as Burson Audio have so far convinced me that they are a great small company.

So the original order tracking still has no movement and it's now been 3 weeks since an update, the last being that it arrived in shipment hub in Singapore on the 7th. I reached out and stated I'd like to refund as I just had zero confidence that it would ever update seeing as I paid for priority shipping. Dennis at Burson without me asking sent out a new set of my order via FedEx Express with no cost to me which has an estimated delivery date of Monday 24th. This was all done yesterday.

If the originals turn up I told Dennis that I'm more than happy to send them back to their office or a reviewer for them as I am not a dishonest person especially for a small company. But I thought I'd just put this here that it's not Burson Audio's fault, they understand they are having shipping issues for international post due to the Singapore Post being remarkably unreliable at this time.

I'll update when the new order arrives, both on audio quality/improvement and if the original order ever arrives.

Lastly, I have a STX ii, my wife has my old STX which has this very random and not common issue that happens from time to time where it blasts random distortion through the right channel or a very loud high pitch so we've ordered an STX ii for her PC as well. If the Op-amps are that good, I'll probably keep the second order if they ever arrive and give Burson their money for that. Excited!

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #5,669 of 5,721
Hey folks,

I've been using the STX mk1 with V5is for a very long time. Recently have the itch to go external desktop amp to power my Sundara's properly. Would you guys recommend I use RCA line out to use it as a DAC, or go external DAC like the Topping D30?

Apr 29, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #5,670 of 5,721
Hey folks,
I've been using the STX mk1 with V5is for a very long time. Recently have the itch to go external desktop amp to power my Sundara's properly. Would you guys recommend I use RCA line out to use it as a DAC, or go external DAC like the Topping D30?
Using the STX's line-output (RCA) to connect to an external headphone amplifier is fine, but it bypasses the STX Dolby headphone, so really only (normally) get 2-channel stereo (2.0) audio, with that setup.
If your ok with stereo audio, then go ahead an get an external headphone amplifier.
The STX's headphone jack output impedance is 10-Ohm, which might cause 20-Ohm Hifiman Sundara's to have a bloated bass.
A headphone amplifier (Schiit Magni or JDS Atom or other) with a low output impedance would be better for driving the Sundara (better damping control).
Also using the STX's line-output, takes advantage of all three op-amps, the STX's headphone output only use 2 of the op-amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back