The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Mar 11, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #5,521 of 5,721
Hi all.
Is there any better OAMPs at this moment than OPA627 6 pieces putting to both I/V and buffer? I read all topics and some other forums. Everywhere i saw winner is original BB OPA627 amps. Or there any other things? Thanks in advance.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #5,522 of 5,721
  Hi all.
Is there any better OAMPs at this moment than OPA627 6 pieces putting to both I/V and buffer? I read all topics and some other forums. Everywhere i saw winner is original BB OPA627 amps. Or there any other things? Thanks in advance.

Other than the standard opamps there are a couple of discrete offerings by Burson Audio and Sparkos .

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of 3 Burson Audio  Supreme Sound Opamps v5i . A kind of hybrid .

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5i/

Till these arrive , I'm still enjoying the OPA1612's in the I/V and a LM6172 in the buffer . 

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #5,524 of 5,721
  Is these better than OPA627 AD825 combination? And where can i buy genuine ones of that 2 ics?

Unfortunately I have not tried OPA627 or AD825 - so all I can do is compare specification sheets .

http://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/LM6172IN-NOPB/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsko7UDAsUSIUiwSwkIwRbLiUMrrH65y7g%3d

http://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/OPA1612AID/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtxdzBvM0rKcSBSa86la16Fc0OGuY6L6Lo%3d

For the 2x OPA1612's you require 2x SOIC-8 to DIP-8 adapters .

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #5,526 of 5,721
Hi zilch0md,

Great picture, however you should not use it for height comparisons. The Sparkos opamp clearly has an additional socket attached ( Sparkos sends out their opamps with an additional socket attached to protect the
gold plated pins and of course this shouldbe removed before installation). In fact, it looks like the Sonic Imagery also has an additional socket attached in the pict.
I checked my 5Vi's and it looks like they are sitting correctly.

Hope this helps,
Ren

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #5,527 of 5,721
^ It's not my photograph, but yeah, hopefully, people would notice the stacked sockets when they view the enlarged image.  Then again, I know someone who bought the SS3602 and complained that it was too tall for his application. He was surprised when I then suggested that he just remove the extra DIP8 socket. That did the trick.  So...  I guess we can't assume people will figure out that those sockets can be removed, even when they've got the op-amps in their hands. It's just a matter of knowledge and experience, not intelligence.

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #5,528 of 5,721

Just wondering, can the shielding be added with the Sparkos Op Amps?

I think the version is the "dual discrete" SS3602?

I saw this image that shows them next to the V5 and V5i and some others, the V5i fits under the shield they look taller than those.

Malcolm 

Thanks for the photo comparison.  Looks as though I might be able to use a bit of Antec® Formula 7™ thermal compound on the Burson® V5i to heat-sink it to the RFI shield on my STX.

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #5,529 of 5,721
Any recommendation on Opamps for HD800?
Will probably replace the soundcard with a dedicated dac in the future but for now i will use my stx-card and whould be nice if there was a better one suited instead of the stock.

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #5,530 of 5,721
  Any recommendation on Opamps for HD800?
Will probably replace the soundcard with a dedicated dac in the future but for now i will use my stx-card and whould be nice if there was a better one suited instead of the stock.

Budget for upgrading op-amps?
I myself spend about $60 for three AD797BR op-amps.

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #5,533 of 5,721
Greater depth. Clarity, bass, mids and highs are all improved greatly. Separation, imaging of the sound stage are improved dramatically. It's really like night and day, and worth it. I think there is a trial period for them, but I don't remember for sure.

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #5,534 of 5,721
  Greater depth. Clarity, bass, mids and highs are all improved greatly. Separation, imaging of the sound stage are improved dramatically. It's really like night and day, and worth it. I think there is a trial period for them, but I don't remember for sure.

Hi jimwallen,

I also run an STXII and I agree on the discrete opamps, I am running Sparkos and simply love them. Just a heads up for people considering, Sparkos runs an ebay store also where you can make an offer and it's only $6 shipping in the US.

Ren

Apr 4, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #5,535 of 5,721
I'm waiting for a couple of Burson V5i's to arrive . When they do , I'll give my impressions here . ATM my STX has OPA1612 installed , I'm quite impressed , the best I've experienced before going discrete .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back