The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Nov 11, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #1,006 of 5,722
Opamps are a very opinionated subject. Some work great with some circuits and not so good with others. You may be happier with another set of opamps or you may be happier with another card or DAC..etc. Your choice.
You might alo get better results using the buffer....

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #1,007 of 5,722
lol, that's a heck load of risers
eek.gif

SQ is still fine?!

if you want top notch automatically bit-matched(no SRC
evil_smiley.gif
) S/PDIF, this is your best option I think: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/us...hiface-446375/

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #1,008 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, that's a heck load of risers
eek.gif

SQ is still fine?!

if you want top notch automatically bit-matched(no SRC
evil_smiley.gif
) S/PDIF, this is your best option I think: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/us...hiface-446375/

The third riser is because while 2 risers clears just about, I wasn't comfortable with so little clearance. It's effectively just ridgid unshielded wire, which isn't a wonderful proposition but there's no real alternative short of fabricating something on a PCB, which I no longer have access to UV equipment/haven't done for yonks.

Any further opinions regarding a DAC/amp or amp would be appreciated!

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #1,009 of 5,722
well, extensions like in my signature?

I wanna use two 2*single DIP8>dual DIP8 browdog's(on the DAC output) just like you did, but building an Eiffer tower w/ sockets doesn't sound too appealing to me
biggrin.gif

I'll cross my fingers and go for extensions I think, but I'd prolly need to add decoupling caps or sumthing...in order to minimize oscillation
redface.gif

here are the usual suspects btw:

1028bi.jpg

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #1,010 of 5,722
Interesting impressions Ardent.
I used to own the Prelude and currently own the STX and I found the STX to be well beyond any other soundcard in SQ, even with stock opamps, and both with speakers and multiple headphones/amps.

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #1,011 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The third riser is because while 2 risers clears just about, I wasn't comfortable with so little clearance. It's effectively just ridgid unshielded wire, which isn't a wonderful proposition but there's no real alternative short of fabricating something on a PCB, which I no longer have access to UV equipment/haven't done for yonks.

Any further opinions regarding a DAC/amp or amp would be appreciated!

It's difficult to recommend something based on someone else's taste. It seems based on your impressions you aren't a big fan of the STX, at least in the incarnations you've tried it (stock and with the leaning tower of op-amps). So if budget is not a concern then by all means move up to something higher end; certainly the STX is not likely to do the HD800's justice.

Asking for recommendations in this thread though about what to do next may not yield the advice you're looking for. Most people using the STX don't own HD800's, and most also don't have higher end unit's like the Benchmark or Grace.

If I were you I would not be basing future system decisions on how to utilize the STX, I would be basing it on how to utilize your HD800's. I think there is a thread in the high-end forum dedicated to which amps work best with them. If you like simplicity or don't have a lot of space then a one-box solution like the Benchmark or possibly the Lavry DA11 may be for you, but many of the more experienced members will recommend a separate DAC and amp. In the end it comes down to your preferences. The HD800 is very popular so searching the forums should turn up lots of useful information.

Maybe you should try one of those units first and if you aren't satisfied you can upgrade your amplification down the road. The DAC sections of both those units are certainly very respected.

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #1,013 of 5,722
I have a question, if I replace the stock op amps with say 2 LME49720's, would that more or less eliminate the need for an external dedicated amp? I plan on buying either beyerdynamic dt 770's 80 or 250 ohm versions, or maybe denon d2000's. Will the LME49720's be able to drive 250 ohms or will they only be effective with the 80 ohms?

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #1,014 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fakeyfakerson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question, if I replace the stock op amps with say 2 LME49720's, would that more or less eliminate the need for an external dedicated amp? I plan on buying either beyerdynamic dt 770's 80 or 250 ohm versions, or maybe denon d2000's. Will the LME49720's be able to drive 250 ohms or will they only be effective with the 80 ohms?

I think your informaiton is a bit mixed up, lets se if I can answer your questions:

Replacing the stock opamps with different units will modify the sound but they will not prevent the need for an external amplifer as your suggesting.

This card has a built in headphone amplifer that you can use if you need the extra amplification for your headphones.

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #1,015 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think your informaiton is a bit mixed up, lets se if I can answer your questions:

Replacing the stock opamps with different units will modify the sound but they will not prevent the need for an external amplifer as your suggesting.

This card has a built in headphone amplifer that you can use if you need the extra amplification for your headphones.

Oh, I thought opamps were basically the same thing. Hmm guess not.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #1,016 of 5,722
Quote:

Oh, I thought opamps were basically the same thing. Hmm guess not.

Well, it depends mainly on the design. There are many instances were opamps are used for driving headphones.

On the ST(X) design, there is a dedicated headphone amplifier chip which takes this duty.

The opamps on this card are used for I/V conversion and single ended buffer.

You can use the onbaord amp for your headphones or connect up an external one.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #1,018 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it depends mainly on the design. There are many instances were opamps are used for driving headphones.

On the ST(X) design, there is a dedicated headphone amplifier chip which takes this duty.

The opamps on this card are used for I/V conversion and single ended buffer.

You can use the onbaord amp for your headphones or connect up an external one.

So they don't have anything to do with boosting the output like a regular amp, they just change the way the card actually sounds? Hmm.

Nov 16, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #1,019 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by niCe99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
noob question but i am planning on purchasing these oPAMP for my essence stx

NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR|LME49720NA/NOPB|Operational Amplifier (Op-Amp | Newark.com

question

1) are they really that cheap ? ($4)
2) I just need one of these for my essence stx right?
3) that is the correct one right? in other words is it compatibly for my card?

thanks

1) Depends on where you buy them. If your a student or member of the electnrocis trade you can get samples from the company.
2) Actually, depend on what you want to use them for. If your chainging the I/V section you need two. I really don't advise using this opamps to swap out the LME4562NA as they are the same excat chip.
So if your interested in these get two and change them with the JRC2114D on the card.
You will have to order two units DIP8... Or the LME49720NA as you said.

Nov 16, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #1,020 of 5,722
Quote:

So they don't have anything to do with boosting the output like a regular amp, they just change the way the card actually sounds? Hmm.

They can, it depends on how they are used in the circuit.
On this card you have 3 opamps:

2 JRC2114D which are used to convert the Current output from the DAC to a voltage.
1 LME4562NA which is used as a single ended buffer to correct the signal level to line out standards.

There are amplifier that use opamps in their stages just soundcards don't usually need high siganl outputs.
In this design, changing them will basically change the way to card sounds.
The power for the headphone output comes from the the TI TPA6120A2 amplifier chip.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back