The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jul 31, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #5,326 of 5,721
STX has 3 opamp sockets 2 I/V and 1 buffer. The 2 I/V are used in all forms of output and buffer is used only when using rca out the headphone output uses I/V only. I mostly have experience with i/v headphone out but you can used all 3 the same op amps but it usually better to use a different op amp in the buffer

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #5,327 of 5,721
The Burson Air I demo'd did one hell of a job if you're looking to go external dac/amp/pre amp. As far as the V5's burning up an STX.. I've been using them for a couple months or so with heavy usage and no issues thus far. The STX2 is identical pretty much to the 1, right?

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #5,328 of 5,721
Hi, i'm new to this forums. I currently have the original STX. Does any one know how can i upgrade the sound and which amps  get for better audio? Never upgraded amps on a soundcard before 

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #5,329 of 5,721
Just look back about 10 posts or so , and you should get a good idea . I'm using 2x OPA2111KP's in the I/V section  and 1x LM6172 in the buffer section and am loving the sound , good upgrade for the little money spent . Unclewall mentions OPA1662 soldered in a SOIC to dip8 adapter in the I/V section . OPA1662 being one of TI's latest greatest opamps - incredible specs . Many are raving about the 4 Muse opamps , which cost a lot more . I can highly recommend the LM6172 in the buffer section .

For a whole lot more money ( and I mean a lot ) , you can go for discrete opamps - Burson , Sparkos et al ...

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #5,330 of 5,721
The Burson Air I demo'd did one hell of a job if you're looking to go external dac/amp/pre amp. As far as the V5's burning up an STX.. I've been using them for a couple months or so with heavy usage and no issues thus far. The STX2 is identical pretty much to the 1, right?

Did you get your V5's from this link? http://www.bursonaudio.com/asus-xonar-essence-stx-upgraded-with-supreme-sound-v5-op-amps/ I just did it and was wondering if you ever got an email with the tracking or they just showed up or if they no longer provide this discount and I should refund it and talk with them direct to purchase the V5?

EDIT: Burson told me it is still in effect.

Sep 5, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #5,331 of 5,721
Hi,

I am a music producer and I just got the Xonar STX. Is it best to leave the settings on Default clean when making some beats or do I need to tweak something ? Anyone in this field knows maybe?

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #5,333 of 5,721
  Hi,

I am a music producer and I just got the Xonar STX. Is it best to leave the settings on Default clean when making some beats or do I need to tweak something ? Anyone in this field knows maybe?

If using the ASUS drivers and not UNI then go into xonar audio center and set it to hifi (turns off enhancements), then go your sound settings in windows for playback devices and configure the stx for stereo with full speakers, then go to the properties of the stx and set the advanced tab to 24bit whatever sample rate you want and you should be good to go.

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #5,335 of 5,721
I don't see any advanced tab. Where can I find it ?
frown.gif

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #5,336 of 5,721
I've begun a contingency plan for upgrades to my STX:  For the I-V, I'm anticipating a shootout between the Sparkos® 3362 and Burson® V5i, using the stock LM4562N in the buffer position feeding the Pyle® amplifier and Radio Shack® speakers my station (I can upgrade the buffer at a later date if new external amplifiers and/or speakers warrrant).  But concerning the onboard oscillators, exactly what types are stock, and where on the card?  I'll need the data to determine what upgrade TCXO's will function, as the onboard heaters need a constant DC voltage supply.

Sep 30, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #5,337 of 5,721
I purchased the ASUS STX II, and i'd like to ask you guys, if it's worth to replace the op-amp ( the default one ) with Texas Instruments LME49720  / MUSES 8820
Does it make a difference, at all ? Are there any better om-amps, compatible with ASUS STX II ??
Thank you

Sep 30, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #5,338 of 5,721
Huge difference, just take the plunge and get the V5s from Burson

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #5,339 of 5,721
Voxata, what do you mean with " huge difference " ?   Texas Instruments LME49720  / MUSES 8820 vs the default ones ??
The sound is very clear, i like it a lot, but i wish it should had a bit more bass / more power /
I don't know how to explain, my english is pretty poor
Thank you

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #5,340 of 5,721
If you really want more bass you're better off changing your headphones/speakers for that - swapping opamps only really changes the sound signature a bit but usually nothing too dramatic like a big bass boost. Maybe you can use the equalizer in the STX control panel for that. And also, the STX' headphone output has a high output impedance so it's best to use it with high-impedance headphones (80Ohm or more) or they well lack bass.
By the way, if you use headphones with the STX and want to swap opamps, you only have to swap the two opamps in the I/V stage for the headphone-out; swapping the 8820 (low pass filter stage) opamp won't make a difference for the headphone-out, it's only connected to the RCA outputs. The STX II should come with 2 x Muses 8920 and 2 x LME49720 for that, and the 8920s will probably give a less punchy and more natural sound. There's opamp swap guides for the STX on the internet (and this site), maybe you can google it if you wanna know which opamps maybe give a more bassy sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back