The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
May 4, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #2,389 of 5,722
Hi. New member, long time lurker. Was wondering what your guys opinions are on a combo of 2x OPA2107's in the I/V's and a LT1364 in the buffer?

Averaging up a lot of peoples opinions on both of these seems to make me think that these would be an excellent combination. I have them incoming from the states (I'm located in Australia) and am just wondering if I could get a few people's observations if they have used this combination before. I am not adventurous enough to get the singles like the LT1363's nor have the budget to get something like the OPA627's. Any feedback on this combo is hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
- SabreWulf69

May 5, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #2,390 of 5,722
@drez
If you haven't done this already
- Download DPC latency checker
- See if your're having long latency times or even worse spikes like I had (see if it correlates with the popping)

I had an issue with popping every time my graphics card throttled it clocks up or down. Basically poor driver design can hog you CPU and increase latency, and real time streams like audio/video experience drop-out, pops/clicks, jerkiness etc. See my thread here http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/551498/graphics-card-generating-clicks-and-pops#post_7439347

I also had periodic spikes in latency which were caused by the ASUS AI suite motherboard monitoring software. So after disabling that and I finally finding a version of the NVidia drivers that didn't have the spikes every time my GPU throttled, my problems are over. Well almost, I still see latency going up sometimes, but Win7 is far worse in latency compared to WinXP. Changing power settings so that minium CPU state is not the default 5% also helps latency.

May 5, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #2,393 of 5,722
Thanks shaw.  Last time I check there were some major latency spikes but I didn't try to fix them 
frown.gif
.  I have changed graphics card since then so not sure what is causing spikes...  Using the card as transport seems to avoid the problem, but I think some pops are from unstable power supply from wall, so maybe I need an UPS.

May 6, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #2,394 of 5,722
Quote:
Does anyone know the maximum output of the onboard amp? Curious about output impedance aswell.

To answer my own question, in case anyone else is curious about this later on:

Line output: 2.16V
Headphone out: 885mV (0dB, for headphones with impedances below 64 ohms), 3.52V (+12dB for headphones with impedances of 64–300 ohms), and 7.03V (+18dB for headphones with impedances of >300 ohms).

Line output impedance: 99 ohms.
Headphone output impedance: 10.7 ohms.

Observation: both line out and headphone out have too high output impedances to work well with BA IEMs.

May 6, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #2,395 of 5,722

Quote:
Thanks shaw.  Last time I check there were some major latency spikes but I didn't try to fix them 
frown.gif
.  I have changed graphics card since then so not sure what is causing spikes...  Using the card as transport seems to avoid the problem, but I think some pops are from unstable power supply from wall, so maybe I need an UPS.

Drez, it doesn't necessarily need to be your GPU card creating the latency. Try disabling the drivers in the Windows Device Manager (under "Display Adapters"), see if that helps. If not, try disabling WiFi and Network adapters. You might also want to test disconnecting any USB hardware you have. An unstable powersupply would probably give you more problems than just pops in audio, but you might be right, if your PSU is not powerful enough you definately need to change to a better one with higher rating, no need to get a UPS.

May 6, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #2,396 of 5,722
Hmm I will have to do some troubleshooting this weekend.  Will be interesting to see how this card stacks up against dedicated transports - it certainly has low jitter on paper.

BTW has anyone tried OPA627 yet, OPA2111 is warm and detailed, but not really extended or fast ( I don't know if anything other than discreet is and I have no room for one of THOSE setups lol. 
rolleyes.gif

May 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #2,397 of 5,722
Would anyone happen to have a copy of the latest driver for the STX? I reformatted and ASUS's driver site seems to be down. I'd really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back