The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
May 8, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #1,771 of 5,721
This "Beta" doesn't even work in Nuendo...

*update: Works in DirectX ASIO mode only, not in the real bitperfect ASIO mode. That's under Windows 7 32bit. 

...Was thinking about the irony of it all (ASIO not working under a Steinberg application) :wink: hehe

May 10, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #1,772 of 5,721
I just ordered my Essence ST from Buy.com for $195 which seemed like a good deal.  I can't wait! *bounce bounce*
As far as the "bit perfect drivers" i'm wondering how this will effect me on linux.  I've read that one wants to keep the volume at 76% but ideally wouldn't one want to keep it at 100% (0 dB) to keep all the resolution?
 Why do we even have volume controls in percent instead of dB?

I'm a bit confused. Is the volume digital or digitally controlled analog?  I hope it's the latter.

May 10, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #1,775 of 5,721
I think 50% on the main volume + 76% on mixer is 0db.

Tested it with a 0db pink noise and the meter on the driver CP. Not sure if that is right or not, but it made sense as there is a marking on the volume.

May 10, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #1,776 of 5,721
I just installed the new beta drivers also. I immediately brought up foobar, set it to ASIO output and queued up some flac.

I have to say, I never thought a driver revision would make much of a difference, but I agree with most of the other posters about this - it's a tremendous difference. The sound is warmer and less 'fuzzy'... it's hard for me to put it into words, but it's a night and day difference.

I'm assuming it's due to the lack of automatic up-sampling ->96khz for 4_khz material and the removal of another layer of ?software? volume mixing done in the xonar control panel...

For reference, I'm running windows 7 64-bit. I used to always play in WASAPI mode. I'm listening with sennheiser IE8s at the moment. I have the gain set at 'normal'.

............great. Now I'm going to have to go and listen to all of my music again obsessively to pick up on the subtle differences... lol

May 10, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #1,777 of 5,721
^How did you install it on your 64bit Win7? I simply removed the driver from the device manager then install the drivers. Restarting the comp after removing the driver the OS automatically installs the older driver on boot. 

May 11, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #1,779 of 5,721

Quote:
^How did you install it on your 64bit Win7? I simply removed the driver from the device manager then install the drivers. Restarting the comp after removing the driver the OS automatically installs the older driver on boot. 

This also confused me. When I go to the properties of my "STX Audio Device" it gives the driver date as 3/02/2010, but the driver version seems to be correct.

May 11, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #1,780 of 5,721
Good cause I thought I was the only one
biggrin.gif
. The driver date is the exactly the same for me. 

May 11, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #1,782 of 5,721
Quote:

I just uninstall the Asus Xonar entry from add/remove programs, rebooted, pulled up device manager and confirmed that it hadn't found the old driver and then installed the new one.

Definitely try this first! Just removing a device in device manager doesn't delete windows' cached copy of the driver.

If that doesn't work and windows is still pulling a cached copy of a driver from somewhere, you can try two things:

• (easier): In device manager, pull up the device properties, click the driver tab and choose "roll back driver". If that's not an option, then.........
  • (this, while safe if done right, is very advanced...be careful!): Click the Details tab. Drop down to Hardware IDs. Choose the first value. Hit CTRL-C to copy. Open notepad, paste, and remove PCI\.
  • Copy that string, then use a search program that will let you search text contents within certain files. The old XP search would let you, but Vista/win7 will not... :/ ... a free one you can use instead is "agent ransack" - google it .. make sure it's set to search in hidden/system folders/files.
  • Search in c:\windows\inf\*.inf (the windows driver definition database cache) for "files containing:", in my case for the first Xonar hardware ID string... "VEN_13F6&DEV_8788&SUBSYS_835C1043&REV_00" (without quotations)
  • if this finds a file, edit it with notepad. If that file is solely for the xonar essence from asus then just delete it (or, better yet, just move it elsewhere...)
  • If it's not, then delete the offending string itself from the file. This will prevent windows from matching against that cached driver set for that piece of harwdare. Uninstall the device from device manager, then right click your computer name at the top of the device manager tree and choose "scan for hardware changes". It shouldn't be able to find a driver now.
  • If the above didn't find any matching files then go back to step #2 and repeat by CTRL-C'ing the next line down. Keep descending till you find the offender.

Hopefully that helps :)

May 16, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #1,783 of 5,721
Whooo!!  I got my Essence ST set up the other night and it sounded good (especially when i connected the power to it... *ahem*).  It sounded good but not great. Much better than the Intel HD on-board but not great.

Things seemed recessed and muffled. So last night i broke out the LME49720NA and LME49860NA chips and learned how to install them. They went in no problem. Those legs bend very easily though! I installed 49720 in the buffer and 49860 in the I/V.

WOW. What a difference. Soundstaging and holography is much much better. Midrange to high is clear and precise without being too bright.

However, i might be having a problem with the bass. I say *might* because i like many people are use to the bloated subwoofer sound.  i'm not quite sure what it's *supposed* to sound like. Part of my problem is that last week my drive with all of my music on it went bad. Yes, i know i really was gonna back it up that day. 14K lossless tracks. *sigh* i have a repair in mind, but that's another issue.  So my reference tracks are not available to me. Only a few are. 

QUESTIONS:
Does anyone know what i might hear if i swap the positions of the chips?
Would that make a difference?
Which chip/position is likely giving me this great mid to high end because i want to keep that.
Should i wait a few days for "burn in", then re-evaluate?

I don't want boomy bass just more extension. Any ideas what chip combos would give me that. I'd rather not use a soldering solution, but i'll be learning how to do that next week (to fix this hard drive) so i'll take that advice too.

By the way, i *love* the relay switches on this thing. I donno how it is for you Windows users, but on Linux when the sound card drivers load or unload the relays are turned on and off, so you don't get the *THUMPS* through your speakers if you cold boot your system.

For reference, my card is going out to a Trends Audio Ta-10 amp (13 watts Class T), to a pair of Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1s.

Thank you all *SO* much for this thread and recommending this card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back