The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Mar 4, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #1,516 of 5,722
Hi, Rob

I was reading up on linux drivers for STX & stumbled on this :

Quote:

In addition to control over the amp, control has also been added for the DAC, including the ability to switch from a sharp to slow roll-off, and also alter the oversampling rate from 64x to 128x.

ASUS' Xonar STX Gains Even More Functionality Under Linux - Techgage

Is there any plans from ASUS to provide these feature in the official upcoming drivers.
or do I have to shift to linux ?
ph34r.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #1,517 of 5,722
hehe, 128X oversampling...I've only been whining for this for almost a year
biggrin.gif

this card would deserve a second chance on Linux, fit w/ some nice Burson's...and w/o all the resampling crapola in the windows drivers
fendnts.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #1,519 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, Rob

Is there any plans from ASUS to provide these feature in the official upcoming drivers.
ph34r.gif

These options, along with the headphone impedance, have been available on the Windows driver since the Essence STX launch, but finally, audiophiles and audio enthusiasts alike can finally gain a bit more control under Linux.

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #1,521 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, Rob

ph34r.gif

Very interesting. I can check and see what I can find.
The latest Betas sound very good and offer autosample rate adjustment that many asked for.
They are still rather new so things may still change and options may be added for the final version.
These Linix drivers were developed by a 3rd party also...

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #1,523 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingFiercer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll ask in another way. Is 49720HA better than 49720NA?

It is different, the TO-99 are the highest grade of opamps within a family of opamps.

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #1,525 of 5,722
Robscix,
any clue if we could get schematics of the card, even partial (around buffers, so that we better assess how to amp roll ... ).
I have in mind to test the AD797, but this is not straight forward ...

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #1,526 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting. I can check and see what I can find.
The latest Betas sound very good and offer autosample rate adjustment that many asked for.
They are still rather new so things may still change and options may be added for the final version.
These Linix drivers were developed by a 3rd party also...

I knew the Linux devs would come through!

Rob what came of this?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/xo...ml#post6409866
Did you find out any interesting tidbits in relation to Linux dev?

Any plans for closed dvr binaries or will we have to continue to rely on the the wonderful work of Mr Clemens?

Mar 5, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #1,527 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManuLM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Robscix,
any clue if we could get schematics of the card, even partial (around buffers, so that we better assess how to amp roll ... ).
I have in mind to test the AD797, but this is not straight forward ...

I seriously doubt that as they would be property of ASUS. I would suggest you trace the circuit out and make not of component values. Opamps circuits are usually very generic in design and can be traced. With opamps on soundcards you are alays trying to find a best fit but it is hard for some as they don't know, the swing of the amps, the gian of the circuit the feedback circuit...etc. The more infomraiton you can figure out the better. Really if you found a set of opamps you really liked, you could go one step further and dial in the circuit a bit more by modifying the circuit a bit. This is out of the realm of many though... The AD797 works fine in the buffer, if that is what you are asking.

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #1,528 of 5,722
understood, and quite expectable...

For AD797, I wanted to use them on the I/V, I have not read so far that this is compatible, thus my idea. Il will investigate this myself.

I'm not sure of the result when using AD797 as buffer

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #1,530 of 5,722
I am really confused.. I thought I/V was only for the head amp, and the other one was for the RCA out? I am reading about people talking about the third one affecting the I/V...

Is there any unanimous decision on which one is best for RCA out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back