The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0
Nov 4, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #706 of 1,243
my eq is based on the original frequency graph from xiaomi, then some minor tweaks in the base
http://imgur.com/nRf5Gqh

actually without the 121 hz 5.6db filter you will get the perfect theoretical flat response,but i felt that would be a bit anemic (but good for critical listening-which i dont think anyone would use this iem for). hence the 121 hz filter,if you want you can delete that filter from the text and try it

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #707 of 1,243
yes it is made such a way that you can listen to the music in a way the artist have meant to,so use it will all genre,some ppl wont like it,but thats understandable..

please dont do any editing on  any freq other than 120hz as some of the reductions are made to shape the filters waveform(so that it wont bloat the other frequencies)

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #709 of 1,243
@Aanks - Both ES18 and Pistons are pretty good IEMs for their price. Pistons has got bit more bass quantity than ES18. Both these IEMs needs a decent amount of break-in period for settling in. Pricing of Pistons is pretty good from Flipkart (outside India, it's been sold for anywhere between 15 US$ to 25 US$, depending on the seller). Also, If you are looking for an earphone with Mic facility then go for Pistons. They match very well with the Mi3 phones.

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #710 of 1,243
thanks for the reply, one more question - a lot of people who own the Mi pistons sold on flipkart are complaining that the bass is not that good - what do u think about it -And what about the overall sound quality? what is a break-in period ? thanks again!!

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #711 of 1,243
thanks for the reply, one more question - a lot of people who own the Mi pistons sold on flipkart are complaining that the bass is not that good - what do u think about it -And what about the overall sound quality? what is a break-in period ? thanks again!!

Virtually no break in period on mine. Sounds good right away

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #712 of 1,243
  don't get me wrong but you don't have to mess with every frequency out there :) and every song has it's own dependencies. 5.6 desibels to 125hz could suit some songs but what about metal or some songs that already comes with 125hz increment ? it will give a lot of distortion on high volumes... 8-12khz increments seems fair. but i don't understand especially 415hz reduction, that earphone already comes weak at 250-500hz as i remember. whatever, my point is: precise settings like that should be on song dependant not just earphone... you use always the same settings with every song ?

i set my equalizer to my custom setting and leave it alone.  i just use the stock google play equalizer.  the only thing i mess with is the bass boost slider from time to time.  usually to tame it down a bit

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #713 of 1,243

i set my equalizer to my custom setting and leave it alone.  i just use the stock google play equalizer.  the only thing i mess with is the bass boost slider from time to time.  usually to tame it down a bit

there's too much different kind of mobile devices and they could have different balances. i'm only using my computer sound cards and lowering the bass slider is ridiculous on this devices since they're already coming absolutely flat so if you don't increase the bass slider you'll get "absolute no bass" already.

different devices have different equalizer spectrums and they're not accurate all the time. i found 10 band equalizers with ISO standart spectrums are the best. my audigy 2 zs card has 7 band equalizer and on the first slider it writes 125hz but it's actually controlling 30-60hz. same with the last slider, it writes 8khz but it's actually something like 16khz. other sliders except the first and the last are working correctly.

so it's really hard to suggest a setting without exactly knowing the target device. but whatever the device's balance i'm sure every device needs some settings because every song and earphone comes with different balance. download therion - the invincible, album version. jump to 1:42 and listen until 2:01. now up the 125hz slider and you should hear some bass frequencies that you didn't heard previously. the same 125hz that works well with this song will not work a lot of rock/metal song, it will give a lot of distortion instead, so you probably gonna feel the need to lower it.

and if you already hearing what you should hear without adjustment, that means your device already comes with this frequency amplified somehow and that also means you'll get a hard time with earphones comes with this frequency amplified. e.g. koss kdx100. when i use kdx100 i'm lowering 125hz by 2 desibels instead of adding to it (on the same song).

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #715 of 1,243
  @Aanks - Both ES18 and Pistons are pretty good IEMs for their price. Pistons has got bit more bass quantity than ES18. Both these IEMs needs a decent amount of break-in period for settling in. Pricing of Pistons is pretty good from Flipkart (outside India, it's been sold for anywhere between 15 US$ to 25 US$, depending on the seller). Also, If you are looking for an earphone with Mic facility then go for Pistons. They match very well with the Mi3 phones.

I have never seen Pistons for under $20. At least authentic pistons
wink.gif
. The price in the US is around $25 from reputable sellers. I got a second pair from Ibuygou for $20 when they had their sale.

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #717 of 1,243
  @Ira Delphic I saw few posts herein Headfi mentioning about these IEMs been sold for 15 US$ by Xiaomi official sellers at mainland china (can't remember which thread it was, though) :)

I don't doubt you. I'm just concerned someone might get burned with a fake. :)

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #719 of 1,243
  @Ira Delphic I saw few posts herein Headfi mentioning about these IEMs been sold for 15 US$ by Xiaomi official sellers at mainland china (can't remember which thread it was, though) :)

From my experience, all legitimate Pistons sellers in China, as well as Xiaomi-accredited third-party resellers (Flipkart is an accredited seller, yes, but I cannot say for certain that the Pistons they sell are indeed legit), do sell the Pistons for $15 which, I might add, is the MSRP of the Pistons(). It seems any and all non-Xiaomi affiliate third-party sellers sell legit Pistons at over $20. 

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #720 of 1,243

From my experience, all legitimate Pistons sellers in China, as well as Xiaomi-accredited third-party resellers (Flipkart is an accredited seller, yes, but I cannot say for certain that the Pistons they sell are indeed legit), do sell the Pistons for $15 which, I might add, is the MSRP of the Pistons(). It seems any and all non-Xiaomi affiliate third-party sellers sell legit Pistons at over $20. 

Flipkart are legit and most likely same.IMO They need some break in however since they arrived hot from factory.
anyone tried my parametric equalizer??

Can you post in a simple text Hz-db, so we can apply on normal sliding equilizers. Can't use PC because it lacks microphone port. And viper4android is not available for cm11 android 4.4.4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back