The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
May 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #1,143 of 1,799
Yeah they are, it's just that there are like 4 vents in the back to help the bass. It's not bad, but its not good for me since I ride the sub and bus daily, and I don't like blasting my music.

The 1r has slightly better isolation, though the isolation isn't the best. They sound a little similar to the ws99 though.

May 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #1,144 of 1,799
Quote:
I'm waiting for mine, do you think I could use them in the transports without looking like mickey mouse? 

How is the isolation on these cans compared to..let's say a M50? 

You've gotten some good input about the isolation. To me they seem to isolate very well, but I'm not in super-noise environments with them.

As far as looking like mickey mouse, no, you will look like mighy mouse lol. The WS99's are very nice looking headphones, and don't stick out very far.

If you do want to go for even more of a mighty mouse look though with potentially good isolation (I don't know really), then I would suggest these:

May 28, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #1,145 of 1,799
That's a nice mickey mouse lol

They don't need to isolate like hd25 either, but I just needed to make sure I won't have to push them too much when I listen to music outside. 

Does anyone listen to trentemoller and this kind of music? Or trip hop? How do you like the WS99 with these genres? 

I have to say I decided myself very fast for these looking at the "for sale" section (about 10 minutes). I was looking for IEMs at first which is quite funny but when I read the comments here I was like "HUMMM.. LET'S DO IT!"

So I did it..

May 28, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #1,146 of 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Vibe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

which is quite funny but when I read the comments here I was like "HUMMM.. LET'S DO IT!"

So I did it..

Welcome to head-fi! And sorry for you wallet
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #1,148 of 1,799
Quote:
Yeah they are, it's just that there are like 4 vents in the back to help the bass. It's not bad, but its not good for me since I ride the sub and bus daily, and I don't like blasting my music.

The 1r has slightly better isolation, though the isolation isn't the best. They sound a little similar to the ws99 though.

Really, they sound similar? The 1R sounded super mid-emphasized to me, with recessed sub-bass and treble. I thought the WS99 would be more balanced.
Quote:

You've gotten some good input about the isolation. To me they seem to isolate very well, but I'm not in super-noise environments with them.

As far as looking like mickey mouse, no, you will look like mighy mouse lol. The WS99's are very nice looking headphones, and don't stick out very far.

If you do want to go for even more of a mighty mouse look though with potentially good isolation (I don't know really), then I would suggest these:

Are those the new SZ2000!?
eek.gif

May 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #1,150 of 1,799
Any1 wants to trade his/her WS99 for a SoundBlaster ZxR card? Will very likely sell my card, WS99 is pretty much similarly priced. :)

May 28, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #1,151 of 1,799
Quote:
I think they are far from a one-trick pony.

I bought these cans to use at work as all-arounders and they are filling that roll nicely. I appreciate how much the rich low end fills out a lot of the music I listen to without stepping on the mids. At work I probably only listen to 25% Electronic and the rest ranges from Female Vocals to Jazz. I also appreciate that the highs are a bit forgiving because I am sensitive to sibilance and excessive brightness. They are not dark, just no uncomfortable peaks. What is the greatest about these WS99s is that they sound well balanced with a solid low end with a wide range of music and if I want to blow my head off with impact or give myself a scalp massage I can engage the bass boost on my Cmoy BB and it delivers insane bass with no obvious distortion or bottoming out (up to my volume tolerance).

I have large ears so when I first got them the combination of clamp and new pads became uncomfortable after an hour or so. I have had them for few weeks now and even with glasses I can go 2-3 hours without a break.

Of the cans you are looking at I have only heard the M50s and the K550. I prefer the WS99 to both. I bought the M50 for my brother and have borrowed them a few times. Pads are bigger but not much more comfortable. The sound was good but I can't recall anything really standing out. The K550s were more comfortable than the WS99 and the M50 but lacked bass (for bassy genres) and something in the mids/highs sounded off to me IMO. Mind you, I only spend 20 min with the K550 so YMMV.

The only concern I would have if if you have large ears or ears that stick out and you want to be able to wear headphones for 6-8 hours straight you might want a larger circumaural headphone.

I am no expert on Colbie Caillat but "Bubbly" sound pretty awesome on the WS99.

I'm now almost sold... price being equal... would you pick the WS99 or M-100?

May 28, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #1,152 of 1,799
May 29, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #1,154 of 1,799
Not that the M100 are bad but I prefer the WS99's.  M100's have a more of a laid back sound compared.  Bass is less punchy but seems to reach deeper on the M100.  Midrange is definitely more forward on the WS99.  Treble is more sparkly on the WS99.  Stage is pretty close but the M100's have this nice 3D feel and the 99's sound wider.  In my opinion, the 99's work better with most genres of music.  Famous quotes form most of the threads, "it all depends on your preferred signature."  

May 29, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #1,155 of 1,799
I think this was discussed a few pages back, but the M-100 is basically bass bass bass while the WS99 is bass + a decently balanced range, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back